Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Using markers in the Event Browser

Using markers in the Event Browser 01 Oct 2018 18:43 #97251

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 211
I hesitate to even mention this since it's probably already been covered or is common knowledge. But here goes:

FCPX has powerful search tools to filter and display groups of clips. However you often want to find *positionally* your location -- in context -- within thousands of surrounding clips in the browser. Say you were looking at a clip, then did something else, then want to go back to your previous thumbnail in the browser. You don't want to scroll up and down looking for it. You don't want to do a filtered search which only shows the query results. You want a bookmark that jumps to your clip's spatial location amid an ocean of clip thumbnails.

There's an easy solution: use markers. They not only work on the timeline, they can also act as a positional bookmark for clips in the browser. You can apply them to clips, do something else, then jump back to the marker you left. The marked clip will be shown in context in the browser with the adjacent clips before/after it. You can also step forward and backward to the prev/next markers, which could be on other clips.

You can apply red "to do" markers which are visually easier to find. Doing this with a single keyboard shortcut requires creating a custom command, but that's easy. Without the custom command it takes two steps : create a regular blue marker, then modify it to a red "to do" marker. However the "go to" next/previous marker command works on all marker types, not just "to do" markers.

Keyboard commands for markers:

M: create marker at current skimmer location on current clip in the browser
CTRL+M: delete marker at current skimmer location
CTRL+' (apostrophe): Jump to next marker in browser
CTRL+; (semicolon): Jump to previous marker in browser
SHFT+M: Modify current marker. You can name it or make it a red "to do" marker

Note: named markers can be searched in the Browser query window.

To directly create a red "to do" marker with a keyboard shortcut, you must assign this. I assigned CTRL+OPT+CMD+M for this.

Edit, move and navigate to markers: support.apple.com/kb/PH12562?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US

Overview of custom keyboard shortcuts: support.apple.com/kb/PH12727?locale=en_US

Tutorial video of creating custom keyboard shortcuts in FCPX:
Last Edit: 01 Oct 2018 18:55 by joema.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Using markers in the Event Browser 01 Oct 2018 20:33 #97252

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 51
Genius!
Can‘t wait til I can try this!

Using markers in the Event Browser 02 Oct 2018 04:53 #97254

excellent hint, that simple, that useful, Thanks Joe!

…hmm? Wouldn't be a Smartlist, filtering all Markers handy? …

Using markers in the Event Browser 02 Oct 2018 10:48 #97258

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 294
You'd need a duration for each marker, and FCPX doesn't have a duration parameter on markers (wish it did).

Using markers in the Event Browser 02 Oct 2018 12:25 #97260

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
FCPX.guru wrote:
You'd need a duration for each marker, and FCPX doesn't have a duration parameter on markers (wish it did).

Why? The duration is defined by the range of the selection. It wouldn‘t be an additional advantage to point to the whole browser subclip (unless I miss it, then please explain).
For me, the method helps me to find a frame within the clip. I‘d like to have posterframes. The shortcuts can take me there.
I often deal with longer clips which have more than one useable moment. Multiple tagging is fine, but not for this task. Multiple selections of one parent clip is what I used to do instead. Haven‘t tried it, but setting markers in the browser could be the ideal solution.

Actually, coming to think of it, that is what they are for in the first place.

Using markers in the Event Browser 03 Oct 2018 02:00 #97270

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 294
In legacy FCP, and other NLEs, you set a duration for a marker. Visually it is the marker, with a smaller bar extended to the right for the duration. You don't use a second marker to mark the end of a duration. Because then you automatically set the start of another duration. The old method, used still by other NLEs, is you set one marker, give it a duration, and it is never relent on another marker. I used to use them all the time. Miss them a great deal now. You know how really awesome they are when you actually work with them.

Using markers in the Event Browser 03 Oct 2018 08:58 #97274

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
I remember markers with duration from DVD Studio Pro (subtitle markers, which also could be ‘abused’ to determine when exactly a button in an animated menu became active and for how long). You are right of course. We can put any function to good use once it‘s there. We don‘t have it now, so we don‘t think of the possibilities.
Just like joemas „finding“. He initially said, excuse me if this is something obvious and common knowledge.
It should be. But I used markers only for setting audio cues and then only in the rare cases when I had a music piece to cut to („marryoke“ ). Never used the open task functionality.

Give us a hint how it could be used, and we send feedback.