Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How to copy media between libraries properly if they're on different external drives?

How to copy media between libraries properly if they're on different external drives? 04 Oct 2018 09:01 #97281

• Soran
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Forum.

I wonder if you've a safe way of copying media between libraries properly to avoid 'missing link' dreadful messages then to locate the media manually in the source location when loading the FCPX projects for a fresh session if they're stored on different external drives.

The copied media could be a particular audio FX / VFX clip, compound clip, credit rolls or any tweaked story line clip destined for re-tweaking in the new project that has a perpetual life and they're aimed to be used for again and again in a new version. I'm aware that having some presets created earlier could come handy and certainly help but when in a rush, it's a huge time saver to copy those media from different libraries into the project timelines,

In my case, accepting to copy the media between libraries couldn't prevent 'missing link' dreadful messages to pop up when I started on the next session and when the HD ejected ( both libraries are stored in different HD). Eventually, I ended up copying the source media manually between two library that's of course clumsy way of doing so.

Any tips?

Much appreciated!

Soran.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How to copy media between libraries properly if they're on different external drives? 04 Oct 2018 12:13 #97285

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 51
Copy from library to (parallel open) library. Somehow mark all assets that you know will be used in multiple libraries so that you can’t miss them. The caveat being that media that exists externally will remain so (on their current HD), unless you change the library storage settings for the library you copy to beforehand (and later you can change back to default). Just never move something on Finder level.

How to copy media between libraries properly if they're on different external drives? 04 Oct 2018 13:26 #97287

• Soran
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks Axel,

But I'm a bit baffled with this (from apple support page):

support.apple.com/kb/PH12766?locale=en_US

'You can copy or move clips, projects, or entire events between libraries in the same storage location or between libraries in different storage locations. When you copy an item from one library to another, the corresponding files are duplicated on the storage device that contains the receiving library. When you move an item from one library to another, the corresponding files are moved from the library file in the first storage location to the library file in the second location.'

and if I've 3rd party plugin content to move it says:
'... Regardless, you must manually track and move any third-party (FxPlug) content, because it is not managed within the Final Cut Pro library.'

whereas you say:
'Just never move something on Finder level.'

I'm not sure if there's any way other than to move the content on Finder Level, is there?

Thanks,
Soran

How to copy media between libraries properly if they're on different external drives? 04 Oct 2018 13:44 #97289

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 662
Sure. You have both libraries open in FCP and copy the items from one library to the other.

How to copy media between libraries properly if they're on different external drives? 04 Oct 2018 14:33 #97291

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 51
Soran wrote:
and if I've 3rd party plugin content to move it says:
'... Regardless, you must manually track and move any third-party (FxPlug) content, because it is not managed within the Final Cut Pro library.'

whereas you say:
'Just never move something on Finder level.'

I'm not sure if there's any way other than to move the content on Finder Level, is there?

There are 3party Plugins that are installed in various places on your SYSTEM. Therefore, to be able to access them on another SYSTEM (=Mac computer) you’d have to install them there as well.

Then there are Motion projects. Some 3d party effects are just that. They also are not in the library, but in your user movie folder. You can manually install them there (copy/move). Since 10.3, they can be included in the consolidation process (see the dialog).