Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Mastering sound levels for desktop AND mobile devices?

Mastering sound levels for desktop AND mobile devices? 06 Oct 2018 08:42 #97306

Hi guys, does anyone have any techniques or tutorials they could share that could teach me to master audio levels of projects?

Specifically, I edit on a laptop or desktop and want to know what my audio will sound like on a tablet / iphone.

How can I do this please?

Thank you,
Phil
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Mastering sound levels for desktop AND mobile devices? 07 Oct 2018 03:10 #97311

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 302
That's a pretty tall order to get into details. There are several audio mixing / mastering courses online. Lots of articles and books about it. The following are general rules of thumb, specific audio sources and characteristics will make you work at it. There's no solid numbers to hit in reality. I see folks say "EQ voices to these numbers", but I can give you half a dozen voices I work with weekly those numbers won't work with. Take everything with a grain of salt.

Basically, EQ different audio sources so they don't compete for the same frequencies. Then they can all be loud enough and not be muddy.

Next, start with your main audio (dialog usually) and set it where it needs to be. Then mix in music, then sound effects. One at a time, and be careful, once you set a level, and add other audio sources to it, your overall level goes up. Audio is additive, more sources, the higher the overall level goes up.

And average your audio level peaks between -6 and -3 in general. Don't go much over -6 for TV broadcast (ask the station about LUFS levels). NEVER hit 0db on the audio meters.

Mix / master by audio meters first, fine tune by your ears, but never exceed proper audio levels on meters.

Finally, like all audio professionals do, take a copy to reveal different playback sources to test. Play through your TV, on your Computer's built-in speakers, car, boom box, etc.
Last Edit: 07 Oct 2018 03:12 by FCPX.guru.

Mastering sound levels for desktop AND mobile devices? 08 Oct 2018 12:17 #97327

• paurray
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Absence of Quality is the essence of squareness.
  • Thank you received: 14
Use your ears is as good a Tip as you will get.

This is the best intro I know of with respect to LUFs:

www.finalbug.net/index.php/videos-learn-...camerer?from=listing

Once you have the basic concepts you could also look at this:
youlean.co/
There is a free version so you have nothing to lose.

In practice even trying really hard to mix consistently people often complain that either

a) I have Mixed the music to quietly compared to the Voice over
or
b) I have Mixed the music to loudly compared to the Voice over.

For general Sound Tutorials I find this pretty good:

www.pro-tools-expert.com/free-pro-tools-video-tutorials/