Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Relinking to (FCP1) files!

Relinking to (FCP1) files! 02 Nov 2018 16:31 #97608

• richcamp
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello
I had a project that was lost, but I had an xml of it. When I import that xml into a new library, it doesn't relink to the media because it is looking for the file names with (fcp1). I don't want to relink 150 files finding each one separately, is there anyway to teach let FCPX not to look for the (fcp1)? I know that it adds the fcp1 when it's making aliases or has duplicated media within the project, but it gets annoying to relink because of that. Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Relinking to (FCP1) files! 03 Nov 2018 14:38 #97609

• VTCmedia
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
If I get missing file warnings because I've moved or renamed the source files but am certain they belong in the project, I drag all the files to the end of the timeline. FCP will recognize the file characteristics based on size and duration and repopulate & remap the missing files to their current location. Delete the new files you just added and edit away.

Relinking to (FCP1) files! 03 Nov 2018 18:41 #97610

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 212
richcamp wrote:
Hello
I had a project that was lost, but I had an xml of it. When I import that xml into a new library, it doesn't relink to the media because it is looking for the file names with (fcp1). I don't want to relink 150 files finding each one separately, is there anyway to teach let FCPX not to look for the (fcp1)? I know that it adds the fcp1 when it's making aliases or has duplicated media within the project, but it gets annoying to relink because of that. Thanks!

If your media filenames are not globally unique, the (fcp1), (fcp2), etc. suffixes are used as actual filenames if you import within the library (not "leave files in place"). This is because it puts those in fewer folders thereby creating a filename conflict. Likewise if you import with "leave files in place", the symlinks are also placed in that simpler folder structure within the Library's internal "Original Media" folder, which likewise requires adding a "uniqueifier" suffix. In that case the actual media files retain their original names, and doing a Finder "Get Info" on each symlink will show the expected location.

However in either case a project XML should relink to the media -- provided the media location and filenames haven't changed since the XML was made.

If you are importing to a new library, the project XML from the old library should also relink -- provided the same media was imported to the new library. In my limited testing, the old/new libraries can even be of different type -- managed internal vs external media, provided the original media files are imported to both.

If you did NOT import the media to your new library, FCPX will find the original media anyway when loading a project XML -- IF the original library still exists and if it's a managed library. This can give the impression loading the project XML automatically imports the needed clips, when it is just linking to the former location. If that original library doesn't exist on a volume FCPX can find, it has no idea where the media is.

The bottom line is import your media to the new library and then try to load your project XML.

If you not only lost the original project but also the library it was in, maybe you don't know what files are in that project, hence locating them to import to the new library might be difficult. You can always create a test library and import every possible media location using "leave files in place" which takes no extra room. Then once your project XML loads and relinks, you can copy that project to an empty salvage library which will only bring along the media (or links) for just that project. Then you can drop the big test library.

The best practice is rename all files to be globally unique before importing them. On a large project it makes post production easier since each file has a unique name, and it also resolves some issues with how FCPX handles media, and eliminates all the (fcp) suffixes. I always append a unique serial number to each file, and keep track of the last number used so the next batch of files get the next sequential number. My favorite tool to rename them is "A Better Finder Rename": www.publicspace.net/ABetterFinderRename/

Relinking to (FCP1) files! 03 Nov 2018 18:54 #97611

• richcamp
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks! I appreciate your notes!