Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Cinema Grade - is it worth it

Cinema Grade - is it worth it 23 Nov 2018 20:08 #97931

• pszilard
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Denver Riddle's Cinema Grade from Color Grading Central is offering 50% off.

I already have Color Finale Pro and Chromatic, and of course FCPX has now color wheels. Ignoring the cost for Cinema Grade, does it give any extra benefit other than a new user interface??? Is it worth having, or is it just a gimmick?

Would value your thoughts!

Thanks in advance,
Paul
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Cinema Grade - is it worth it 23 Nov 2018 21:16 #97934

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 302
In many situations I'm finding I can get basic adjustments done fast and easy. Half the time I use it I am also using FCPX's native color wheels to adjust coloring overall afterwards. It's nice for fast, quick adjustments to good images. For problematic images, depends on the image if it's faster or not. The GUI is really nice, though. I think there's a free trial version, use that, see if you like it. I'll say IMHO that I do not think it is for everyone, nor for every situation. This is very much a personal preference item. You will love it, or you won't, but there's nothing mechanical or universal that dictates you own it or not.

Cinema Grade - is it worth it 23 Nov 2018 21:33 #97939

• pszilard
  • Expert Boarder
So it it correct to say that it is mainly a GUI interface to existing features, which may or may not be a preferred option, but doesn't give NEW functionality?

Cinema Grade - is it worth it 24 Nov 2018 03:26 #97941

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 302
Yes, there's some newness to it. I like it a lot. I want to see it evolve into something more wholistic, though. But it's worth trying out. There's a trial version. Download it and see what you think.

Cinema Grade - is it worth it 24 Nov 2018 07:08 #97943

• pszilard
  • Expert Boarder
Tried it
Liked it
Bought it
:)

Cinema Grade - is it worth it 24 Nov 2018 09:05 #97945

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 53
My test week was about ten days after Denvers announcement that scopes were to come to the first view/pane "later this week". Without scopes though, any primary CC is useless. Wasn't a wise move to publish CG without that ready. Played with it, was pleased so far, but realized I couldn't use it.

For serious color work (anything beyond mere "correction"), you need to have a rock solid workflow, one that's consequent and transparent. Perhaps CG now offers this. I'd say it's good if there never was the need to fire up FCP's own tools at any time.

I spent many hours over the last days with 10.4.4. There is little documentation yet on recommended workflows for grading (perhaps I will write down and publish my own), and if one uses the tools without one, the results will disappoint. Being accustomed to roundtrip with Resolve, I now find no more reason to do so. There is of course still room for improvements (i.e. a capable tracker would be dope), but from now on, color in FCP feels round.
Last Edit: 24 Nov 2018 09:10 by Axel.

Cinema Grade - is it worth it 30 Nov 2018 21:51 #98022

• Scott Markowitz
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
I've been using Cinema Grade for nearly a month, now. Though it's still being developed, I have found it to be extremely valuable in my workflow.

The thing that makes it well worth it for me is the ability to group shots together. This feature alone saves me about 20% of time spent on my grade. The bigger my timeline, the greater the savings of time I'm seeing.

Here's my CinemaGrade workflow right now:
1. Get Edit Roughed in (GFX, Music, Timing)
2. Do my Color Grade inside Cinema Grade
3. Use FCPX Color Tools with masks to add focus to my shots (ie vignettes)

I've been very impressed with how well it's been working for my facility so far.

Cinema Grade - is it worth it 04 Dec 2018 14:04 #98058

• manoucho
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 46
Same here. What makes a huge add for me is the ability to group shots. I feel I'm in Resolve. Very good.