Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: About legacy media in Final Cut Pro X

About legacy media in Final Cut Pro X 24 Nov 2018 09:41 #97946

• Wilfried
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi, when upgraded my library to 10.4.4 I received an alert that legacy media files won't be compatible with future macOS releases. When checking out the related article support.apple.com/en-gb/HT209000 it turns out legacy media can include footage recorded with cameras like Sony HDCAM-SR cameras, footage from GoPro cameras recorded in the CineForm format .

I think I have both sony and gopro footage, and I'm wondering what to do. I have years of footage from my children and later on I want to create a movie when my son was for example 1, 5 and 10 years old. This means that all the footage I have collected in the past need to be available in the future. In earlier days I have migrated my imove projects into fcpx libraries and projects, and was wondering if I need to do some migration and or converting here too.

What is your approach to legacy media and how would you make this footage available for the future? Would love to hear your feedback.

Cheers,
Wilfried
The administrator has disabled public write access.

About legacy media in Final Cut Pro X 24 Nov 2018 11:39 #97948

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 302
Did you record in Cineform with GoPro? If not, you've nothing to worry about. If so, gather it all up, use Compressor to make full resolution H.264 copies.

About legacy media in Final Cut Pro X 24 Nov 2018 15:47 #97949

• Wilfried
  • Junior Boarder
Files are directly imported from SD card into fcpx. When checking out the footage in the event viewer, the inspector says codecs: AAC, GoPro AVC encoder. However in earlier workflow I would convert files from SD card using Gopro Studio, and then import them into fcpx. I am still looking if this alert applies to the gopro or sony footage I have.

Let's assume all gopro footage is cineform. Does the compressor allow you to convert and replace files? Or in other words you can convert cineform into h.264 copies, but your projects are still using the legacy files, thus becomes corrupted? The article on apple site does not give me much more info on this. Hope to find some more info

About legacy media in Final Cut Pro X 24 Nov 2018 15:53 #97950

• Wilfried
  • Junior Boarder
The footage from sony camera says a codesc: vc1', Linear PCM. Can't believe that I'm editing for nine years and do not have a clue about codecs and stuff. Thats what I most like about fcpx though. Just shoot edit sleep and repeat :P

About legacy media in Final Cut Pro X 26 Nov 2018 00:01 #97964

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
"Let's assume all gopro footage is cineform."

Let's not, because it isn't. Cineform is a specific codec GoPros used, and you had to set the camera's file format to specifically record in that codec. Personally, I hated it.

About legacy media in Final Cut Pro X 27 Nov 2018 19:54 #97979

• Wilfried
  • Junior Boarder
I cannot confirm that it's a setting in the camera's file format. Checked the settings in the gopro but didn't found any cineform or codec setting. However this brought me to find some other answers.

When removing the gopro studio software from my computer I found by accident this project thats shows missing plugin error on the clip. Then to find out it was the timelapse clip thats was converted using gopro studio.

When checking the inspector of the clip it says GoPro-CineForm HD/4K/3D. From this I think that the cineform codec is installed by the gopro studio software and is only used when converting clips from SD card to movie clips.

I used this workflow for this particular project to create the timelapse video from a bunch of photos. Plus I also used this workflow in earlier projects to convert footage from SD card and remove the fisheye lens in the clips.

And to make it complete. My current workflow is to import the clips directly into fcpx, and use the alex4d wide angle fix to remove the fish eye. This makes it so much easier, however I didn't know that in the beginning :blush:

Anyways I would love to get some feedback on the above findings
Last Edit: 27 Nov 2018 19:57 by Wilfried.

About legacy media in Final Cut Pro X 27 Nov 2018 23:59 #97980

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
After reading up on it, yes, it is a compression scheme built-in to GoPro cameras.

About legacy media in Final Cut Pro X 28 Nov 2018 17:12 #97983

• Wilfried
  • Junior Boarder
I'm sorry but I dont know what u mean. Can you confirm my findings or?

About legacy media in Final Cut Pro X 28 Nov 2018 17:20 #97984

• Wilfried
  • Junior Boarder
There's not much info to be found on this subject. I found some insights here: nofilmschool.com/2018/11/why-apple-dropp...rm-and-dnx-final-cut and here: www.digitalrebellion.com/blog/posts/thou..._phased_out_in_macos

As far as I know I'm safe with macOS mojave, and the issue might occur in future macOS releases. There are some tools to help you convert your footage, i.e. compressor and kyno but these tools are not for free and I don't have any experience with them.

I hope by the time this issue applies there's more info and solutions or workflow to convert your footage and or projects. Cheers and thank you for the feedback

About legacy media in Final Cut Pro X 06 Dec 2018 18:37 #98079

• FernKraft
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
Just updated a Library from 2017, into 10.4.4 and got the warning... the cameras* used in this project are...

Sony fs700 (avc1)
Sony A7 (avc1)
Canon c300 mk1 (XF mpeg 422 50Mbs)
Canon c300 mk2 (XF-AVC long GOP 10-bit 4:2:2)
Canon 5d (avc1)
Dji mavic pro (DJI AVC encoder)
Panasonic GH5 (H.264)

At this point I'm thinking perhaps the DJI footage is what set off the alert...? Thoughts?

*I've listed the codecs as FCPX lists them in inspectors 'codecs' metadata field)
** all cameras were imported into fcpx from a camera archive where possible.
*** this library was created around the time that the Canon XF plug in was needed for the proper import of Canon footage.

About legacy media in Final Cut Pro X 06 Dec 2018 18:49 #98080

• FernKraft
  • Gold Boarder
So I just looked deeper in the list of compatable cameras and media for FPCX... and the C300 Mk1 is not listed there, nor is it's codec listed in the supported media formats... it makes sense now that I think about it. It came out in 2011, right when everything started changing in the editing world.

Good thing we retired that camera shortly after that project.

About legacy media in Final Cut Pro X 06 Dec 2018 18:52 #98081

• Wilfried
  • Junior Boarder
Guess it would be nice if FCPX notified which files were legacy media instead of a generic pop up.
discussions.apple.com/thread/8659759

About legacy media in Final Cut Pro X 11 Dec 2018 19:53 #98124

• FernKraft
  • Gold Boarder
support.apple.com/en-ca/HT209000

Looks like apple updated their future format support page, and gave a bit more info for us to digest.

"In the first half of 2019, an updated version of Final Cut Pro will include a feature to help you identify and convert legacy media files."
Last Edit: 11 Dec 2018 19:59 by FernKraft.

About legacy media in Final Cut Pro X 12 Dec 2018 06:08 #98126

• Redifer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
I wonder why they didn't think of that in the first place.