Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: FCPX Export compressor bundle - naming issues

FCPX Export compressor bundle - naming issues 30 Nov 2018 23:15 #98026

• diamond3
  • Fresh Boarder
I've exported using a compressor bundle for the last year with no issues. I create a ProRes 4k, 4k h264 , 1080 h264 file for my final exports. In the past, it always named the file with those preset names in the filename ie. "project name - 4k h264.mov" Ever since the 10.4.4 update, it's just naming all three version "project name - 1" "project name - 2" etc. I've deleted the bundle, renamed the bundle in compressor and added it back to FCPX and that didn't fix the issue.

Is anyone else using compressor bundles to export from FCPX 10.4.4? Is it working correctly? I'm not sure what else to do at this point.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

FCPX Export compressor bundle - naming issues 01 Dec 2018 05:07 #98028

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 203
I believe that all exports from within FCPX will use the timeline (project) name for the file, while an export directly from compressor will use the name of the preset. I just finished a dozen exports in FCPX using a custom compressor bundle preset added to the FCPX share destinations and in every case the resulting filename was my FCPX project name.
Creating history....one edit at a time !

FCPX Export compressor bundle - naming issues 01 Dec 2018 12:09 #98034

• diamond3
  • Fresh Boarder
I’m not sure other than it always appended the preset name on my export using the bundle from within FCPX. So in your case, when you export one project to a preset bundle in final cut, what does it do to differentiate the file names? Is it adding a - 1, - 2 and - 3? They obviously can’t be named the exact same for multiple exports of the same project.

FCPX Export compressor bundle - naming issues 01 Dec 2018 15:12 #98035

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
I apologize for the confusion. Looking back, it appears that I have created a custom compressor preset, but only a single preset and not actually a bundle (which would include various encodes for different devices). So, in my case, the single custom preset exported using the project name. I will try to test an actual bundle with multiple encodes to see how the files are named. I assume in that case it would add descriptive information along with the project name, but I'll have to test it to know for sure.

FCPX Export compressor bundle - naming issues 02 Dec 2018 00:30 #98039

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
OK, so I just tested this. My project was named "Broadcast Calibration" and consisted of a series of clips totaling 1 min 38 seconds. I created a compressor bundle using (1) SD 720 x 486 preset, (1) Up to 4K preset and (1) 4K HEVC 10 bit preset. As each share was completed, the FCPX share alert informed me with the filename of the preset followed by "Broadcast Calibration" -1 plus the extension (.mov, .mp4 or .m4v). But, to your point, the movie filename created at the destination folder was "Broadcast Calibration -1.mp4", Broadcast Calibration-2.mov" and "Broadcast Calibration-3.m4v". So you are correct in your findings - the preset name is not appended to the final output filename. It's odd that is does appear in the share alert. I don't remember if this has been that way in the past, or if it is a new issue.

FCPX Export compressor bundle - naming issues 03 Dec 2018 03:21 #98044

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 302
The preset name being added to the file name was always exclusive to Compressor.

FCPX never added the preset name to the file name.

But multiple file exports is new. So, we're seeing a new behavior. Is it a glitch?

FCPX Export compressor bundle - naming issues 03 Dec 2018 04:55 #98045

• diamond3
  • Fresh Boarder
Mine always added the preset name as I always use those bundles for final delivery. I just tried it on my other computer after updating and the same issue happened. I think it's a bug. Why would I want a whole bunch of exports named 1, 2, and 3 where I then have to look into the settings to know which is which? I guess I should probably fill bug report thing to Apple so they can change it back the way it use to in the next version.