Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Choice of Monitor (display) question with new MB Pro.

Choice of Monitor (display) question with new MB Pro. 04 Dec 2018 20:17 #98064

• Jonathan Levin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Hi everyone.

OK. I was all set to purchase my new MBp, LG 5k 27" Thunderbolt 3 display, and Thunderbolt 3 external storage.

I noticed in my quest for info on 5k, and more importantly to me Thunderbolt 3 displays that there are very few offerings. Even on Apple's web site, the displays are not available at any store near me, but might be a special order. And then I saw this:

www.appleworld.today/blog/2018/10/3/cros...splay-is-coming-soon

Suppose my plan for the foreseeable future is to pretty much stick to video and editing that will not exceed 4K.Honestly, as far as I'm concerned and my clients, 1080P is terrific still. But I will bite the 4K bullet to use in both a 4K project as well as using 4k in a 1080 Project.

With the LG 5K monitor, I get one more Thunderbolt 3 connection that would go into the MBP. That monitor is $1300.00US

What do I lose going from something like the LG above, to something that connects via Thunderbolt 2? I see those displays going for well under $700.00US all over the place. I am a bit confused about T3 vs. T2 when editing up to 4k video and performance.

Like a pregnancy, this process will be over as soon as I hear back from you and your smarter brains than mine.

Thank you. Jonathan
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Choice of Monitor (display) question with new MB Pro. 12 Dec 2018 17:25 #98130

• Jonathan Levin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Baby delivered!

I went with the LG 5K display, MBp 2018 2.6/512GB/Radeon 560. Set up and running. Pretty stunning. I also love the fact that this can work with the MB closed.

The IOGear USB-C hub I bought is a POS and will be returned. The Mini display port does not run my old Apple Cinema LED monitor. IOGear was about the worst tech support I've had in a long time.

I ordered a OWC 10 port USB-C Dock that is powered by a brick. I'll see if that works for $100US. The Thunderbolt 3 docks are ~$250US :dry:
The administrator has disabled public write access.