Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How to best configure my RAID media drive and backup

How to best configure my RAID media drive and backup 06 Dec 2018 14:58 #98078

• RevJimBob
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi, again. I am so thankful to have this forum with such helpful people like you. I read almost everything written here but rarely have anything to say. I am completely self taught and didn't begin my new full-time career in video production (documentary style videos for foreign missionaries) until I was retirement age. So thank you for being so helpful!

I am blessed to have a new 10 core iMac Pro and several good hard drives. My question is about a new ThunderBay 6 (24TB, ThunderBolt 3) which is currently configured as RAID 5. It is sitting next to a G-Speed Shuttle XL (24TB, Thunderbolt 2). I want to use one of them as my media drive and the other as a backup of all that same media. I put all the media on both drives to do a "real life" test with Black Magic Disc Speed.

The 8 bay Shuttle XL averages read/write at 599/623 MB/s .
The 6 bay ThunderBay averages 436/754. MB/s.

Shall I leave them at current configuration, using the Shuttle as the main media drive (because it is faster) and the ThunderBay as backup? - OR - Would the ThunderBay, re-configured as RAID 0 be faster than the Shuttle (which is hardware RAID and can't be changed)? I don't want to have to do another "real life" test if I can avoid it (i.e., if you can answer this for me).

We currently shoot in 10bit 4K on GH5 cameras, deliver in 1080p but that will probably change in the not-too-distant future.

Thank you so much for reading all this from a relative novice. Your advice is greatly appreciated.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How to best configure my RAID media drive and backup 07 Dec 2018 12:21 #98083

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 302
How fast a back-up takes place is of no concern, so use the slower drive to backup, very simple. Plus, more drives should be faster. 8 bay work, 6 bay backup, done.

Use good software like Carbon Copy Cloner to do one full backup, then the regularly scheduled automatic backups will be incremental, only changing what has changed, and go rather quickly.

Faster drive for work, slower drive for backup. I have T'bolt 3 RAID for work, USB RAID for backup. Backup slower speed has zero effect on getting my work done.

How to best configure my RAID media drive and backup 07 Dec 2018 13:03 #98084

• RevJimBob
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks, Ben.
But... I think I have hidden my real question amongst too many words. Sorry! I should have made this more clear.

Assuming that both drives contain the same media:
1) Would a Thunderbay 6 drive (thunderbolt 3, RAID ZERO) be faster for editing than a Shuttle XL 8 drive (thunderbolt 2, RAID 5)?
2) Or should I just leave them as is (both RAID 5) and use the faster 8 drive Shuttle XL to edit?

How to best configure my RAID media drive and backup 07 Dec 2018 15:06 #98085

• Doug
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I work with ThunderBay RAIDs which are configured as RAID 5, (I have two connected, daisy chained together) and there is no issue with performance of editing. We exclusively use 4K footage, often multi-cam and all is well. Every once in a while there is a shutter at the top of a piece when I hit the space bar if it's a particularly complex project but just hit the space bar twice and it runs perfectly.

I think you're probably going to be safest with RAID5 on both and not really notice any real work difference when you're in the edit.

Best luck!

How to best configure my RAID media drive and backup 08 Dec 2018 13:02 #98089

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 302
Agreed. I think RAID 0 on either would not give any realistic benefit that would out weigh the safety of redundancy. I’d rather a drive go bad, and have a valid backup, than a whole RAID go bad and have a backup. With redundancy, I lose no time working. And I lose no data on either drive. And no performance sacrifice ever, realistically.

RAID 0 benefits dual drive configurations mostly. Stick with what you have now.

How to best configure my RAID media drive and backup 08 Dec 2018 16:53 #98094

• RevJimBob
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks, guys. It's done.