Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: best settings/resolution for youtube(FCPX)? New to all this :)

best settings/resolution for youtube(FCPX)? New to all this :) 08 Jun 2019 23:34 #100168

• kofman
  • Fresh Boarder
I am shooting clips on iphone XS max at 4K/30P, i was thinking. what resolution would be the most practical for youtube once i am done editing in Final Cut Pro X? Before resolution, which profile? Computer? Master File? Apple Devices? And then which resolution? Is it simply higher resolution the better? I know most people who watch my videos, friends and family, co workers, will be watching from their phones, macbooks, 1080P monitors, so forth. MAYBE a tiny chance a 4K tv ( not all TVs support 4K youtube anyway).

This got me remembering to when i had a photography page on facebook and everyone said not to upload huge images because Facebook would compress and downsample and it would look worse than if you uploaded a 720p image or whatever was the optimal resolution at the time.

Is it the same for youtube? If i upload a 4K video, but watch it on youtube in 1080P, would it look worse than if i uploaded a 1080P file to begin with? The majority of people who would watch my videos will watch them in 1080 so do i need to upload in 4K in the first place?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

best settings/resolution for youtube(FCPX)? New to all this :) 09 Jun 2019 03:44 #100170

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 357
Technically ProRes will retain the best resolution. I’m using H.264 and everything looks great. Master File, same resolution as timeline. For me that’s 1080. I edit 4K in a 1080 timeline, because I have to go out 1080 for our tv stations broadcast.

And don’t over think it.
Last Edit: 09 Jun 2019 13:00 by FCPX.guru.

best settings/resolution for youtube(FCPX)? New to all this :) 09 Jun 2019 03:53 #100171

• kofman
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the response! Master file size is huge... Is it that much better “computer” or “apple devices” ?I’m not doing fancy tv broadcast stuff :)

best settings/resolution for youtube(FCPX)? New to all this :) 09 Jun 2019 13:26 #100177

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
TV broadcast for a local independent station is not fancy in any way. I used these exports for my own personal stuff at home before I worked for a TV station.

Master File exports are "normal" size, the others are super highly compressed and very small files sizes. That means more transcoding from them risks image quality degradation. YouTube is going to transcode whatever you feed it. Feed it a format that will hold up.

Apple Devices are settings and codecs specific to the functioning of Apple's iOS devices (phones, pads, pods). I'd not use them unless I was indeed going directly to one of those devices for storage and playback. I'd not use such highly compressed and specialized presets for YouTube.

If you're looking at file size only, understand smaller files risk image quality degradation. Use Master File, H.264, For Web and you should get great results. That file size won't be too large and should survive the YT transcode process just fine.

ScreenShot2019-06-09at8.07.01AM.jpg
Last Edit: 09 Jun 2019 13:27 by FCPX.guru.

best settings/resolution for youtube(FCPX)? New to all this :) 09 Jun 2019 15:40 #100179

new to this and no fancy stuff?
use the Share/Youtube preset in FCPX.
Done.

If/when you or your audience notice any 'flaws', … then consider 'manual' settings.

best settings/resolution for youtube(FCPX)? New to all this :) 09 Jun 2019 20:29 #100182

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
I find the YouTube preset in FCPX to take WAY, WAY longer than just exporting and uploading myself. At least on our Macs.

best settings/resolution for youtube(FCPX)? New to all this :) 11 Jun 2019 00:39 #100194

• Redifer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 70
FCPX.guru wrote:
YouTube is going to transcode whatever you feed it. Feed it a format that will hold up.

^^This.

If you feed Youtube something that has already been severely degraded, Youtube will just degrade that even further. If you give it something of higher quality, the previous baked-in damage won't be there and Youtube will only do it's own damage. So try to give Youtube the best that you can possibly give it, bandwidth permitting.