Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Sync and Multicam Browser question

Sync and Multicam Browser question 09 Jun 2019 07:14 #100173

• robertdee
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
Hi,

Wondering if there's a way around what seems the default FCPX behaviour. When I'm syncing clips (either sound synchronise or Multicam) the default behaviour of FCPX is to jump back to the top level of the event when the sync/multicam clip is created. This is a bit annoying as I've often organised clips ahead of that in keywords by scene/interviewee. Is there a way of preventing the jump to the top level and staying on the keyword when creating these clips or am I missing a workflow technique?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Sync and Multicam Browser question 09 Jun 2019 12:54 #100175

• FCPX.guru
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 357
That's how it works, and yes, it is super annoying, I have to fight with it daily. Fill out the feedback form and ask that MC's inherit the Keyword of their content clips if those clips share the same Keyword, and are selected from that collection.

Or if that's too much trouble for the dev team, like a vital audio mixer obviously is, at least add to the MC and CC creation windows a drop down of keyword collections in the Event so I can pick one for it to be automatically assigned to.

Now, if the content of a MC or CC are from different keyword collections, yeah, no way to deal with that.

Sync and Multicam Browser question 10 Jun 2019 12:07 #100189

• joema
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 245
robertdee wrote:
... When...syncing clips (either sound synchronise or Multicam) the default behaviour of FCPX is to jump back to the top level of the event when the sync/multicam clip is created. This is a bit annoying as I've often organised clips ahead of that in keywords by scene/interviewee. Is there a way of preventing the jump to the top level and staying on the keyword when creating these clips or am I missing a workflow technique?

To review, two things happen when the sidebar is on a keyword and you create an MC or sync clip:

(1) Sidebar position jumps to the top of the list, IOW the event.
(2) Event Browser jumps to the bottom of the list (assuming filmstrip sort order is "content created", ascending) and displays the new MC or sync clip.

The reason for behavior #1 is the new clip does not inherit keywords from the parent. Thus if the sidebar keyword stayed the same, you couldn't see the clip you just created -- it would be filtered out.

The reason for behavior #2 is if the current displayed thumbnail position in the Event Browser stayed the same, you'd have no visual feedback the MC/sync clip was created. Since the MC/sync slip is a new object, it goes at the bottom of a the Browser's list which is sorted by ascending creation date. To provide visual feedback the creation took place the Event Browser jumps to that new MC clip, typically at the bottom.

Unfortunately when creating many MC/sync clips based on a keyword collection, this causes a lot of scrolling up and down the keyword list and also the browser thumbnail list: "now where was I?"

An immediate solution to the Browser issue is place a marker on any clip in your current work area, like a bookmark. This allows easy navigation back to that point. For details see: www.fcp.co/forum/4-final-cut-pro-x-fcpx/...in-the-event-browser

For the MC clip keyword issue, for now you'll just have to re-select it. In future versions it might be possible for MC clips to inherit all keyword ranges from the parent clips. Those could be overlapping if needed. You could then easily delete any you don't want using the keyword editor (CMD+K).

If implemented, for the simple case of a new MC clip made from two parent clips from the same keyword collection, it would solve the UI problem -- the sidebar cursor could stay on the current keyword collection.

However for other cases it would complicate things. A new MC clip might be created from many partially-overlapping clips from several cameras, each with several unique keywords. If the MC clip inherited all this, to show a non-fragmented MC clip, the left sidebar would have to automatically light up with several different keyword collections, or else jump to the event level -- exactly what it does now.

FCPX.guru suggested another variant, where the MC clip only inherits parent clip keywords if those clips share the same keyword and are from the currently-selected collection. This would produce a partial inheritance case where other non-selected keywords would be left behind.

I'm not sure what the best solution is, but the problem is broader than a UI issue about scrolling back to the current keyword. There's a frequent issue whereby MC clips don't inherit parent keywords, hence all rating/keywording work is lost when the MC clip is created. The current workflow solution is don't rate/keyword the parent clips, just the MC clip, then reject the parent clips and use "hide rejected" to avoid accidentally rating/keywording the parents. This is error-prone, non-intuitive and mandates all sync work take place first.