Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: renaming folder on final cut original media!!

renaming folder on final cut original media!! 21 Jul 2019 16:29 #100515

hello there guys!!is there any way to rename the folders inside the Final Cut Original Media Folder?i want to rename folders for easy location and delete media of my FC projects,see the attach picture.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 21 Jul 2019 16:31 by NightWalker.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

renaming folder on final cut original media!! 21 Jul 2019 18:00 #100519

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 351
First, you should do all of your organization in the FCPX browser. If you want to manually organize media on the hard drive, then do that before creating your FCPX Library/Event, then import your media as "keep in place."

Do NOT touch the folder naming and hierarchy inside of an FCPX bundle. You're asking for trouble. That is all done inside FCPX in the Browser. You really shouldn't have a need to be inside there anyway.

renaming folder on final cut original media!! 21 Jul 2019 21:43 #100522

FCPX.guru wrote:
First,
then import your media as "keep in place.".

do you mean to " Leave files In place"
Last Edit: 21 Jul 2019 21:52 by NightWalker.

renaming folder on final cut original media!! 22 Jul 2019 01:58 #100523

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 351
Yes

renaming folder on final cut original media!! 22 Jul 2019 10:29 #100524

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 58
FCPX.guru wrote:
First, you should do all of your organization in the FCPX browser. If you want to manually organize media on the hard drive, then do that before creating your FCPX Library/Event, then import your media as "keep in place."

... but don't destroy the structure of the original card! There are basically two ways to rename clips prior to importing them in FCP. One is to rename them on the original card. This is only risk-free if you use a tool like (Sony's) Catalyst Browse, which preserves (i.e.) so-called spanned clips. However, although these clips will have your custom names forever, they will still be copied to the library, unless you rip them out of the card's folder tree. D.O.N.'T !!!
The second method is to wrap the clips as movs (EditReady, Kyno and the like).

FCPX.guru wrote:
Do NOT touch the folder naming and hierarchy inside of an FCPX bundle. You're asking for trouble. That is all done inside FCPX in the Browser. You really shouldn't have a need to be inside there anyway.

The only reason to make Finder names was if FCP was not the spider in the center of the web, if you had other people working on the same clips elsewhere, and there was no protocol such as an FCPXML to identify the intended edits.

That said, renaming clips inside (and solely to be seen inside) FCP is really enjoyable. I haven't seen a tutorial on this, just tried it once off my own bat, and it's very well thought out. Set the rules, batch-rename your clips, and you have added another ton of useful information to your library.