Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Strange Library behavior in target disc mode

Strange Library behavior in target disc mode 02 Aug 2019 19:41 #100705

• Lydia.robertson
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
2018 iMac Pro, Mojave
2018 MacBook Pro, Mojave (Thunderbolt 3)

First, I know I made a mistake when I got my new MacBook Pro. Setting it up I accidentally allowed it to make a slightly different user name than the one on my iMac Pro. This has cost a world of preferences issues when trying to share FCPX libraries between the two computers. It is a LONG process to make the libraries play nicely between the two computers, requiring me to open the library package and individually add my MacBook Pro user name to the "read/write" list for EVERY item within (or iMac Pro depending on where the library originates. ) That in and of itself makes sharing libraries in FCPX really not ready for prime time.

Now I have a new wrinkle in my sharing libraries saga. Today I thought I would start up my MacBook Pro as a thunderbolt target disc and edit the library stored on my MacBook Pro using the iMac Pro. This has worked in the past with no issues. This time when I opened the Library the iMac said that the library was damaged and, though it would open, many items ere missing, particularly those stored in one event as well as all the "saved as snapshot" projects.

I quit FCPX, ejected the Macbook Pro hard drive, disconnected the MacBook Pro from the iMac Pro, Restarted the Mac Book Pro and opened the library in question, which opened without a pause and worked fine. All events and media were present as well as all the projects and snapshot projects.

Then I repeated the target disc mode and tried to open the library again. Again the error message that the project was damaged. Again I quit, ejected, disconnected and checked the project on the MacBook Pro and, again all was well.

Then I reconnected the MacBook Pro in target disc mode and copied the FCPX library to an external media drive connected to the iMac Pro. When the copy was complete I ejected the MacBook Pro and opened the copied library. It opened fine and all media was present as well as all events and snapshot projects and there was no error message.

Any idea on what could be causing this? I would *really* like to work on projects on my iMac Pro (with my MacBook Pro in target disc mode) when home and my MacBook Pro on the road. This project is enormous and copying it back and forth takes too much time.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Strange Library behavior in target disc mode 03 Aug 2019 13:38 #100715

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 377
First, your Libraries and media should not be on the system drive. Get a fast external drive, put them there, problem solved.

Strange Library behavior in target disc mode 03 Aug 2019 14:54 #100718

• Lydia.robertson
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I normally keep all my media and my projects on external drives. Unfortunately I hurt my back about a month ago and needed to put my project on the internal drive because I cannot carry anything else- I just can’t do it. So this library is in my Movies folder for now. There is no way around this for at least the next four months while I recover my back injury. It is too difficult for me to have multiple items tethered to my computer while working in this condition.

Any helpful suggestions are appreciated beyond having it on an external drive.

Strange Library behavior in target disc mode 03 Aug 2019 21:29 #100722

• joema
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 267
Lydia.robertson wrote:
.... I would *really* like to work on projects on my iMac Pro (with my MacBook Pro in target disc mode) when home and my MacBook Pro on the road. This project is enormous and copying it back and forth takes too much time.

Lydia, I have never tried that but it would seem to be similar to sequentially sharing library+media on an external drive between two Macs. We do that frequently and it works fine.

What does not work is simultaneous sharing. There is no current mechanism for opening the same library concurrently from two machines. That would constitute a multi-user database and the SQLite data store used by FCPX is not designed for that. Doing this might cause some kind of data corruption, even assuming two separate instances of FCPX could get permissions to open the same library.

In theory this could not happen with your configuration since target disk mode is a special boot mode. The target drive should be no different than an external hard drive. The target machine can't even run FCPX in that mode.

That is in general, I know Lumaforge has some tricks and procedures for concurrent use on their NAS but I'm not familiar with those.

What you are doing is not very different from accessing the library and data via file sharing. In theory you could share the same library and media this way, it just wouldn't be as fast. So I don't understand the apparent complications from using target disk mode.

I understand your health situation but you can get a 2TB Samsung SSD for $278, and it's very fast. It's about the size of three fingers and easy to switch between machines. However I have injured my back before and during recovery it was difficult to breath much less bend over:)

www.amazon.com/dp/B073H4GPLQ/

Maybe someone else has tried sequentially sharing an FCPX library using target disk mode and could comment.

Strange Library behavior in target disc mode 10 Aug 2019 00:22 #100818

• KamZoof
  • Fresh Boarder
Dear Karim,
can you post your input/report/output file? We do not know on which system you calculated the band structure and with just the figure it is really hard to understand.

Best,
Daniele