Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Broken Key Wording???

Broken Key Wording??? 03 Aug 2019 07:31 #100707

• pszilard
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I have been using Key Wording to sort clips. I have 1/2 a dozen clips which were incorrectly marked as "Scene 3" and subsequently I deleted the wrong key word and replaced it with the right "Scene 1", however they are still showing under Scene 3.

I've checked all of them none have both key words, i.e. they ONLY have key words "Scene 1" and yet they are still showing in Scene 3.

I've quit and restarted FCPX but made no difference. Am I missing a key step here, or is this a known bug?

Thanks...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Broken Key Wording??? 03 Aug 2019 11:21 #100710

• joema
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 267
When you say "still showing under Scene 3", in what sense? Is there still a keyword collection in the left sidebar that when clicked displays these? Are you doing a query to show the Scene 3 clips, or what?

Normally to correct a keyword collection, you don't delete the wrong keyword. You simply click the collection in the left sidebar, press Enter and type the new name. All clip ranges having that keyword are changed to the new keyword.

If you delete the keyword collection, then create a new one, you'd have to re-tag all those clip ranges. Normally deleting a keyword collection removes all those keywords from the clip ranges.

Is this all in a single event? The search scope is normally within a single event unless you are using a Library Smart Collection that filters on keywords. If you are using multiple events could you check if the problematic keyword collection exists in another event?

Broken Key Wording??? 03 Aug 2019 12:07 #100712

• pszilard
  • Gold Boarder
Apologies for my lack of clarity in describing what I am observing. Hopefully the following will make it clearer:

1) I click the Event containing all the clips and select a clip.
2) I open Key Word with Command+K and type in "Scene 3" <Enter>
3) On the left a key word :Scene 3" appears and if I click it then my so marked clip shows to the right
4) Next I mark all other clips, with their respective Scene numbers (1 to 8)
5) I now discover that I made mistake and a file (clip) is incorrectly marked as Scene 3, but should be Scene 1, so I select it and open Key Words and delete "Scene 3" and add "Scene 1" and press <Enter>

Now I have found that the file lists are only refreshed when you freshly select a key word on the left Browser pane, so I click on another Key Word in the Browser pane, then back to clicking Scene 3 in the Browser pane.

The clip that no longer has "Scene 3" as key word still shows when the Browser pane is key word Scene 3, even though clip is ONLY key worded as "Scene 1".

I then quit and restart FCPX, but the situation is unchanged.

I could paste a screen shot, if that would be helpful.

Note: I didn't delete the Key Word from the system, I just deleted it being assigned to a file/clip.

Thanks for looking into this. I appreciate it.
Last Edit: 03 Aug 2019 12:22 by pszilard.

Broken Key Wording??? 03 Aug 2019 12:15 #100713

• pszilard
  • Gold Boarder
Trying to share screen shot on my NAS..
Last Edit: 03 Aug 2019 12:16 by pszilard. Reason: Corrected link

Broken Key Wording??? 03 Aug 2019 13:43 #100716

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 377
I had this happen on a Library twice this past week. Deleting render and cache files (manually) fixed it for now. But I have a suspicion I'll see it again. No clue what is causing this, as this is a Library that is about 8 months old, never given me problems.

Broken Key Wording??? 03 Aug 2019 13:47 #100717

• pszilard
  • Gold Boarder
Glad I am not alone! Mine a brand new Library.

Thanks for this. :)

Broken Key Wording??? 03 Aug 2019 20:55 #100721

• joema
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 267
pszilard wrote:
...The clip that no longer has "Scene 3" as key word still shows when the Browser pane is key word Scene 3, even though clip is ONLY key worded as "Scene 1"...

I tried this and don't see the behavior. As FCPX.guru said it could be somehow intermittent and cache-related.

If you have Show Skimmer Info enabled (CTRL+Y) and slowly skim the full length of the "Scene 3" clip, what keywords does it show in the popup window?

If you create a new library-wide smart collection, press + and add "keyword" as search type and select the "Scene 3" keyword, does that show the clip? These are just different ways to inspect how it's behaving.

Although we speak of "clips", in fact FCPX marks ranges. Can you skim the start and end points of Clip 3 as shown when you click the keyword collection, then turn off all filters and keyword collections, skim the clip in the Browser and see how the start/end timecodes compare to those shown by the keyword collection. This is to try and verify whether a small "straggler" fragment of the clip somehow retained a keyword.

Broken Key Wording??? 04 Aug 2019 23:22 #100732

• cofe
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
In addition to the things joema suggested checking:
What is listed when you open the triangle in front of the clip in list view. Does your 'Scene 3' still show up there? If it does it is either a bug or you actually still have a range of that clip assigned with the keyword.

Broken Key Wording??? 04 Aug 2019 23:35 #100734

• pszilard
  • Gold Boarder
As shown on the screen shot, Scene 3 still exists, indeed there are numerous clips, which are correctly tagged with the key word of "Scene 3".

Broken Key Wording??? 04 Aug 2019 23:44 #100736

• cofe
  • Expert Boarder
Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I mean the triangle in front of the clip, not the Event.

Select the Event in the Library list so you see all clips in it without a keyword filter applied.
Go to the clip where you removed the keyword and open the triangle in front. This will reveal any keywords or ratings you applied to the clip. Does your 'Scene 3' still show up there?

Broken Key Wording??? 04 Aug 2019 23:55 #100737

• pszilard
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Cofe,

You are 100% correct! In fact I went to the Scene 3 smart folder on the left (not even needing to go to the top event) and opened the disclosure triangle for any clip that was mis-labeled and found segments within it that still had Scene 3 key words. I then clicked the Scene 3 keyword under the clip and displayed the key word using Command+K and deleted it. Doing this for every occurrence FIXED the "problem" - which looks like was a user problem not a bug!

THANKS for pointing the way. You are a champ!

Broken Key Wording??? 05 Aug 2019 00:10 #100738

• cofe
  • Expert Boarder
Very glad that that was the problem. Nothing more annoying than something not working as expected.

I vaguely remembered that I made the mistake of not paying attention to what range on a clip is selected before applying the keyword.

Happy editing :-)
Best, Carsten

Broken Key Wording??? 05 Aug 2019 08:14 #100739

• pszilard
  • Gold Boarder
Yeah. Thanks again. I never seem to stop learning - which is a good thing. :)