Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: "Duplicate Project as Snapshot" not working.

"Duplicate Project as Snapshot" not working. 03 Aug 2019 08:35 #100708

• tj7
  • Expert Boarder
FCPX 10.3.4
OS Sierra 10.12.6'iMac late 2014, 27" i7, 32GB DDR3 RAM, AMD Radeon R9 M295X
Thunderbolt connected external HD

"Duplicate Project as Snapshot" works for all of my small projects.
It suddenly, inexplicably has stopped working for my main project, a 90 min length timeline.
This project actually used to be even longer and more complex than it is now, and snapshotting worked just fine.
I choose "Duplicate Project as Snapshot" > window comes up "loading (PROJECT NAME) SNAPSHOT etc etc " (see attached screenshot) window finishes its loading progress bar, disappears > NO NEW SNAPSHOT APPEARS.
I have tried this about 12 times. This project absolutely will not duplicate anymore, but no error message and FCPX acts as if it is duplicating - only to fail to actually create the snapshot. Why?

I have tried restarting FCPX, restarting my machine. I have made NO CHANGES AT ALL to my system config. I have installed NO new software. I have introduced NO new hardware. I have literally changed NOTHING since I last used this function with this project successfully.

I have tried tricking FCPX by manually going into my library package contents and creating my own duplicate project but of course it is not recognised by FCPX when I start up.

This is totally out of the blue. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 03 Aug 2019 08:37 by tj7.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

"Duplicate Project as Snapshot" not working. 03 Aug 2019 10:58 #100709

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 242
How many total projects (inc'l shapshots) do you currently have? If any of them are old and no longer needed, could you try deleting those?

You are running macOS Sierra, and FCPX 10.3.4 which are several versions old. Is there any way you could update to newer versions?

I have not seen this problem but each snapshot requires creation of a new SQLite database file CurrentVersion.fcpevent within the event folder. For a large project each of those could be composed of several SQL tables containing 10,000 rows or more. There is obviously significant overhead because FCPX tries to defer pre-loading of those under some conditions. You see that when many projects exist and after opening the event it later says "loading xyz project", even though you haven't clicked on it.

So the first step is delete any non-needed old projects or snapshots.

Next do some standard troubleshooting steps: trash preferences, run Disk Utility First Aid on all volumes, also rebuild Spotlight indexes on all volumes: support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716

"Duplicate Project as Snapshot" not working. 04 Aug 2019 02:23 #100727

• tj7
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks @joema!
I have followed all of these steps, did a cleanup - everything to the letter - took time doing it pproperly - and was feeling hopeful -
Absolutely nothing has changed. I restarted, emptied trash of course...
Nothing. I can duplicate every other project as snapshot, but not this one, the most important one.
I can't upgrade my OS because then I'd be up for AU$500 to buy a new version of Pro Tools :(
However, the OS wasn't the issue last week, therefore it is not the problem here.

"Duplicate Project as Snapshot" not working. 04 Aug 2019 13:04 #100728

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
tj7 wrote:
... I can duplicate every other project as snapshot, but not this one, the most important one.
I can't upgrade my OS because then I'd be up for AU$500 to buy a new version of Pro Tools :(...

Sorry to hear it didn't improve things. Duplicating a project as a snapshot adds several rows to the SQL tables ZCOLLECTION and ZCOLLECTIONMD inside CurrentVersion.fcpevent of the event folder. In addition it creates a new folder with a separate copy of the project's CurrentVersion.fcpevent database.

At the Finder level if you duplicate a project folder inside the library bundle, FCPX doesn't know about this because SQLite doesn't make the metadata modifications to the event database. There is no feasible way to add those rows even using a SQL database editor since they are a translated version of an object-oriented "graph" database, contain many binary fields, and have no human-readable schema.

It might be a database problem but we have no tools to check that. Using a SQL database editor it's possible to open CurrentVersion.fcpevent in and execute the statement PRAGMA integrity_check. This will find a low-level problem, but it does little good since it’s only checking the physical integrity of the SQL tables, not the logical integrity of the stored data. IOW it’s like running Disk Utility First Aid to fix a corrupt Lightroom database.

Here are some things to try:

Note: Before doing any steps like this, it's wise to make a file-level backup of entire library. If you are using a "lean library" where media, cache and proxies are stored outside the library that is fast and easy - in Finder just right click on the library bundle and select "duplicate". If your library contains media and cache, consider using "Modify Settings" in the library inspector to move those items to separate folders".

(1) Create two new blank projects and copy/paste 1/2 of your 90 min timeline to each one. Then try to duplicate each half.
(2) If that works create another new project and copy/paste each half of the clips to the timeline, and see if you can duplicate that.
(3) If that does not work, create a "salvage" database and drag/drop the entire project to there. Note: when copying clips or projects across libraries, always do this inside a "transfer" library. Never drag/drop the bare clips or projects between libraries.
(4) If the project and all related media copy OK to the salvage library, inspect the content and see if the large 90 min project can be duplicated there. If that works maybe you could use that or rename the project and try copying it back (within a transfer event) to the main library.

tj7 wrote:
.....However, the OS wasn't the issue last week, therefore it is not the problem here.

We don't know if the issue is the OS, FCPX or something else. Like an airplane which crashes due to a latent defect after years of problem-free flying, underlying issues can lurk which only manifest under certain difficult-to-define conditions. You will eventually have to update the OS and FCPX. While there is no guarantee these problems are fixed in later versions, It is easy to spend a tremendous amount of time debugging problems that are fixed in later versions. This can also include money to buy new disk drives to perform investigative steps like the above.

"Duplicate Project as Snapshot" not working. 04 Aug 2019 23:04 #100731

• cofe
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
I don't know anything about SQLite but maybe the project file is corrupt? I would try to create a new project, copy -paste all clips from the one that doesn't work into the new one, and then try if you can make a snapshot again.

Don't know if this works as I never had the problem so this is just an 'educated guess'. But maybe worth trying?

Cheers, Carsten
Last Edit: 04 Aug 2019 23:05 by cofe. Reason: forgot word

"Duplicate Project as Snapshot" not working. 09 Aug 2019 23:37 #100815

• tj7
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks @joema, I think this is solved now -
I created a new project with same parameters and successfully copied and pasted the entire content (in 2 halves just in case my mac freaked out) of the strangely acting project into it. I then trialled making a snapshot of *that* project, and this worked just fine.
So - given this seems to have solved the problem, am I safe enough to keep working from the new project and just get rid of the original which was acting weird? I've backed everything up.

"Duplicate Project as Snapshot" not working. 11 Aug 2019 10:53 #100839

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
tj7 wrote:
...So - given this seems to have solved the problem, am I safe enough to keep working from the new project and just get rid of the original which was acting weird? I've backed everything up.

I think that is probably OK. As you said backups are always a good idea. Not just regular backups but a periodic file-level backup of the library itself. If using the "lean library" concept whereby cache and media storage is external to the library this can be easily done. The library in that case is quite small and it's easy in Finder to click on it and select "duplicate".

"Duplicate Project as Snapshot" not working. 11 Aug 2019 12:31 #100840

• tj7
  • Expert Boarder
Yes.. and as I have recently reminded myself, regularly deleting unused render files makes a huge difference to ease of backing up as well! Thanks again.