Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: FCPX ‘Yosemite’ Library converted to ‘High Sierra’ with weird video problem

FCPX ‘Yosemite’ Library converted to ‘High Sierra’ with weird video problem 03 Aug 2019 12:40 #100714

• pipkato
  • Fresh Boarder
FCPX ‘Yosemite’ Library converted to ‘High Sierra’ with weird video problem

I duplicated an OSX Yosemite (10.10.5) FCPX (10.2.3) managed library and used it in a new install of FCPX 10.4.6 in High Sierra (10.13.6). My original library is on an old Mac Pro 3,1. I used a well-regarded patcher tool to install ‘High Sierra’ in a separate partition on my SSD boot drive and installed FCPX 10.4.6 (the Mac Pro 3,1 is not officially supported for ‘High Sierra’). FCPX 10.4.6 seemed to convert the library without problems. But when I opened the project file I was working on in the timeline it had some weird video problems.

The browser and timeline thumbnail images look normal and the same as before, but when I play or skim the timeline, the image in the viewer is much darker. If hover over a thumbnail in the browser I have the same issue - the thumbnail image beneath the skimmer is much darker. It’s almost as if FCPX is applying some kind of image adjustment to the video files. I’m only a very occasional user of FCPX but wondered if there might be some kind of setting I’m unaware of that was turned on accidentally in the conversion of the library from the Yosemite version to the High Sierra 10.4.6 compatible one.

Hoping someone here with more familiarity with FCPX can identify the cause of the strange video behaviour.

Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

FCPX ‘Yosemite’ Library converted to ‘High Sierra’ with weird video problem 07 Aug 2019 15:42 #100774

• pipkato
  • Fresh Boarder
I’m responding to my own question above. The issue has resolved itself and FCPX is opening converted libraries in High Sierra fine. I’ve no idea what changed to solve the issue. When I reopened the same problematic converted library yesterday the issue of darker viewer and thumbnails had gone and everything looked fine. I think, but can’t be sure, that I had shut it down and reopened it when I first saw the problem. And, the problem reappeared. But it no longer does. I’m delighted, of course, but not knowing the cause of the problem or the way it resolved itself is slightly worrying.
The administrator has disabled public write access.