Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How to handle HDR footage (from Fuji X-T3)

How to handle HDR footage (from Fuji X-T3) 07 Sep 2019 12:16 #101315

• pszilard
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I shot an event today. It was external and very bright sun. Intended to shoot in F-Log, however I inadvertently shot HLG. When I look at the footage in Quicktime it looks ok, just a little flat, but when I import int FCPX it is weird. If I just look at a clip it is totally over exposed. Inspector says it is in Rec. 2020 HLG (9-18-9).

So I drop HDR Tools effect from the Color section and in Mode I choose HDR to Rec. 709 SDR. This looks better, but on the scopes it shows max brightness at 31% BUT in the view it is blown out at 100%. What's going on? Clearly I am not doing something right!

Any advice???
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How to handle HDR footage (from Fuji X-T3) 07 Sep 2019 20:41 #101322

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 59
Many have chosen HLG as superior to classic LOG profiles, because allegedly it saves more DR. I don't know, I don't have it. But I've gotten HLG clips from other people, and I understand your confusion. For Sony and Panasonic HLG (and probably for Fuji as well) there is a quick way to normalize the footage in a 709 *library* and timeline:
> choose all HLG clips in the browser
> go to Inspector >setting >color space override, and then (I know it sounds wrong): *BT.2020* (NOT 2020 HLG !!!)

The way it is originally intended is to use a LUT instead, like this. Put it on an Adjustment Layer over the HLG clips in your timeline. Grade underneath.

Without an HDR monitor, 2020 is pointless. You will have noticed that in Browser (like in the Quicktime player), the clips don't look overexposed . I think (perhaps someone can correct me?) Colorsync knows that our displays are 709 and so it automatically adjusts the range.

How to handle HDR footage (from Fuji X-T3) 08 Sep 2019 09:21 #101323

• pszilard
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Admittedly this pertains to my personal scenario, but it is working now so here is the description:

Intended Aim
To produce acceptable video shot in extreme bright and contrasty situation (Australian sun at midday). Deliverable to be Rec. 709

This is basically the opposite of video HDR is the opposite of HDR video, which delivers in Rec. 2020 to a special HDR monitor capable of displaying a wide dynamic range. Instead we need the type of HDR used in stills photography, which is a luma compression (tone mapping) so a scene with high contrast can be satisfactorily be displayed on a Rec. 709 monitor.

Shooting Fujifilm X-T3
Shoot 4k in HLG (aka Hybrid Log Gamma). Can record either to internal or external media.

FCPX Treatment
Set Library mode=Standard NOT HDR
Select clip(s) and in the Inspector, choose Color Space Override=Rec. 709
For FujiFilm X-T3, choose CameraLUT=Film.Fuji 8543 Eterna Vivid 160T (preferred) OR FLog_FGamut_Flog_BT.709_33grid_V.1.00 (from Fujifilm website)

Gotchas
I can't remember where I got the first LUT, which I marked as "preferred", so use Google to find it.
I couldn't find the Inspector fields that were needed, until I went into EDIT METADATA VIEW and then ticked the desired fields.

Hope this helps someone. :)

Paul