Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Applying transitions

Applying transitions 09 Sep 2019 17:28 #101344

• Sert1992
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello,

I took a little break from editing and recently got back to it. And something weird is happening... When I try to drag and drop a transition from one to another clip something strange happens (see print screen). It groups the clip together and adds the transitions twice - no matter what I do. Is someone else experiencing this? If so, how do I change the settings to it just being applied as a simple transition between two clips with no grouping?

Thanks & Regards

Sert
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Applying transitions 10 Sep 2019 04:23 #101346

• Larrie
  • Fresh Boarder
I believe that is the standard way FCP works. When you select a clip FCP puts the transition at both ends. When you just put the playhead where you want the transition FCP puts a single one at that location.

Applying transitions 10 Sep 2019 11:37 #101359

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 376
If you drop it on a clip, it adds it to both ends of the clip. If you drop it directly and specifically on an edit point, only that one edit point gets it.

Applying transitions 10 Sep 2019 13:19 #101363

• Sert1992
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the reply and your solution. To my understanding, this means that if I drop it precisely where one clip ends and the next one starts, so in between the two, it should just do a single transitions. If so, I am sorry to tell you that I have tried exactly that and it didn't work. Is there a setting I might have to change within the application or something?

Applying transitions 10 Sep 2019 13:24 #101364

• Sert1992
  • Fresh Boarder
I am so sorry. I just realised the mistake I made unknowingly. My two clips were not on the main timeline but on the one above. Never had that happen so again, sorry for my confusion. Thanks for getting back though and the help and assistance.

Applying transitions 10 Sep 2019 14:32 #101366

• VTCmedia
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
Also, highlighting one end of the clip then hitting command + T places whatever's selected as the default transition at that position and that position only. Highlighting an entire clip places transition at both ends.
Clip.jpg

Applying transitions 10 Sep 2019 16:40 #101371

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 376
Just like VTCmedia just said, but double-click the desired transition in the Transition Browser will apply it to the edit point, or to the whole clip as appropriate.

Applying transitions 23 Sep 2019 15:57 #101596

• KiterTodd1
  • Fresh Boarder
Mine appears kind of random also, but it’s easy enough to to quickly delete the second transition if it throws one on both ends. You are correct, I don’t think it did this 18 months or more ago... somewhere it was added as standard performance.