Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Move clips start/end points together

Move clips start/end points together 24 Sep 2019 21:33 #101623

• mgmartino
  • Expert Boarder
Is there a way to select all keyframes that are in line vertically but from different clips and then drag/move them together?

Also is there a way to blade/drag multiple clips at once? Every time I have multiple clips/titles on top of each other I find it very inefficient that I can't shift click them and just click blade once or drag the start/end times of them all at once.

Anyone know what I mean and have a solution?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Move clips start/end points together 24 Sep 2019 22:51 #101625

• cofe
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
Unfortunately you can't drag keyframes of multiple clips together. Only multiple keyframes within ONE clip.

You can blade all clips overlapping at a given time by holding the shift key with the blade tool. The pointer changes from a single blade to a double blade. But it will blade everything at this point. You can't just blade part of the clips.

Only workaround that I use is the trim-to-start or trim-to-end function.
Position the playhead where you want your clips to end. Not selecting any clip FCP indicates to top most clip with the dot as being 'auto' selected. Now press option-] (right square bracket) and the top most clips end point will be trimmed to the playhead. Because at this point the underneath clip is now the top most clip the dot jumps one clip down and this is now auto selected. press option-] again to trim this one. So without doing anything else you just press option-] repeatedly until all clips you want to shorten are shortened.
The same works on the head of a clip by using option-[ (left square bracket)

If you want to extend a clip at the head or tail you can use shift-x which is the 'trim to playhead' function. For it to work you have to select the in or out point of a clip and then press shift-x. Unfortunately FCP doesn't auto select in or outs so you have to select then shift-x, select next clip in or out then shift-x, and so forth.

Best, Carsten

Move clips start/end points together 24 Sep 2019 22:56 #101626

• joema
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 266
mgmartino wrote:
....Also is there a way to blade/drag multiple clips at once? Every time I have multiple clips/titles on top of each other I find it very inefficient that I can't shift click them and just click blade once or drag the start/end times of them all at once...?

Blade all layesr: SHIFT+OPT+B: support.apple.com/kb/ph12724?locale=en_US

Extend all layers: CTRL+ D and set a longer duration (type 10. for 10 seconds), make sure all layers are selected, then OPT + ] will trim all your clips to the playhead.

At 3:00 into this video, T. Payton shows how to do this a layer at a time. It's a little slower than just selecting all and doing OPT+] but it's still pretty fast: