Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: FCPX Keeps crashing

FCPX Keeps crashing 17 Oct 2019 15:02 #102091

• Tyki
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Guys, maybe some1 can help me with this crashing app problem.

There is log from fcpx crash.

pastebin.com/mAcrrET7

Thanks for help! :woohoo:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

FCPX Keeps crashing 18 Oct 2019 13:29 #102111

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 266
What year, make and model of Mac is this? The log indicates FCPX 10.4.7 on Catalina but one of the stack traces indicates the AMD driver AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.

It also indicates you are running Color Finale. I thought there were conflicts between that and Catalina or 10.4.7 -- maybe others could advise.

You were also apparently running plugins from Pixel Film Studios. There are also known issues with that and Catalina or 10.4.7. I personally wouldn't run plugins from that company even under perfect conditions.

Contact Color Finale and Pixel Film Studios and verify their support status on FCPX 10.4.7 and Catalina. If those are not supported, totally remove those plugins from your system.

FCPX Keeps crashing 18 Oct 2019 14:48 #102113

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 225
The latest version 1.9.4 of Color Finale supports FCPX 10.4.7 as well as the Catalina OS. It also adds a new Metal render engine to CF.

Colorfinale1.9.4.png
Creating history....one edit at a time !

FCPX Keeps crashing 18 Oct 2019 22:29 #102123

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
dgwvideo wrote:
The latest version 1.9.4 of Color Finale supports FCPX 10.4.7 as well as the Catalina OS. It also adds a new Metal render engine to CF...

Thanks, dgwvideo. The stack trace indicates he was running CF 1.9.4 build 262, so in theory that should be OK. Pixel Film Studios is unknown.

As always, he should state is it reproducible, how often, what codec, what actions preceded the crash, etc. Make sure at least 20% free disk space on all drives, all media should be on APFS or HFS+ volumes, state if any are on network drives, try resetting FCPX preferences, etc.

FCPX Keeps crashing 24 Oct 2019 08:06 #102234

• Tyki
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey!
I deleted Color Finale and right now there is no problems with FCPX. I had tested it for few days now. I hope all gonna go good. I think i need to go back with Film Convert for my video color plugin.

Thanks for help!

FCPX Keeps crashing 24 Oct 2019 19:55 #102242

• scknurr
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi!

I'm crashing ever time I open on an iMac Pro on Catalina.

pastebin.com/K5mkz447

Any help??

Thanks!
-Steve

FCPX Keeps crashing 26 Oct 2019 14:52 #102274

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 225
Launch FCPX while holding down OPTION and COMMAND keys and select delete preferences. This should allow you to startup with no open libraries. Try opening one other than the last one you were using to see if FCPX behaves normally. If it does, then attempt to open the last one you used prior to the crash. You may have a corrupt library or project and that can be dealt with separately, but try the above first.

It would also help to know your computer specs, ram, gpu, project format and codecs of the clips you are using.
Creating history....one edit at a time !
Last Edit: 26 Oct 2019 14:53 by dgwvideo.

FCPX Keeps crashing 26 Oct 2019 15:09 #102276

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
scknurr wrote:
Hi!

I'm crashing ever time I open on an iMac Pro on Catalina...

Besides what dgwvideo said, make sure you are not running Chrome.

It appears to be crashing during a render task. Make sure background rendering is disabled, delete all render files, then try it again. There are some issues with certain HEVC codecs under investigation. If you have any HEVC material anywhere in the library, try creating a test library without this.

Make sure you have the latest version of Apple Pro Video Formats installed. That is done in System Preferences>Software Update.

Make sure all 3rd party plugins are compatible FCPX 10.4.7/Catalina and updated to the latest version. You will have to check with each plugin vendor for that.
Last Edit: 26 Oct 2019 15:10 by joema.

FCPX Keeps crashing 30 Oct 2019 20:48 #102353

• Smesh
  • Senior Boarder
Glad I checked in here before upgrading to Catalina. I am about to start another big project and figured it was now or never. Guess it just hasn't been out long enough yet. Will to Mojave and the latest version of FCPX for now.

FCPX Keeps crashing 30 Oct 2019 20:59 #102354

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
Upgrading has benefits. FCPX 10.4.7 has some significant performance upgrades, whether on Mojave or Catalina. OTOH any upgrade has risk, whether macOS or FCPX. Not upgrading also has risks, sometimes major.

The recent Chrome "Keystone" data corruption bug shut down a bunch of broadcast TV productions because they had either stayed on older versions of macOS or disabled System Integrity Protection. For some of them staying on the older macOS had drastic consequences.

In general the results on FCPX 10.4.7 and either Mojave or Catalina have been good. The HEVC issue on 10.4.7 can be significant if you happen to use some variant of that codec which causes the problem. So far it has been reported on HEVC material from a DJI Inspire 2 X5S camera, Panasonic EVA-1, and Arlo Ultra 4k security camera. iPhone HEVC so far doesn't seem affected. If the EVA-1 is affected it's plausible the S1 and S1H are also possibly affected but I haven't see those reported yet.
Last Edit: 30 Oct 2019 21:00 by joema.

FCPX Keeps crashing 31 Oct 2019 17:10 #102368

• Smesh
  • Senior Boarder
Hmmm...

Well I'm about to start on a project that was shot on a GH5, GH5s and DJI Mavic Pro in D Log. Most of the GH5 footage was captured in Prores on Atomos recorders.

I have another project that was ingested, but not started yet, since we need to go back for the interviews. That was shot on the EVA1 as the main camera, GH5, GH5s and a ton of Inspire 2 footage with a X5s in log.

I've already upgraded to FCPX 10.4.7, but not Catalina.

Those projects will take a couple of months to finish, so should I upgrade to Catalina or stay on Mojave? :blink: :S
Last Edit: 31 Oct 2019 17:24 by Smesh.

FCPX Keeps crashing 31 Oct 2019 17:40 #102369

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
Smesh wrote:
... GH5, GH5s and DJI Mavic Pro in D Log. Most of the GH5 footage was captured in Prores on Atomos recorders. ...EVA1...a ton of Inspire 2 footage with a X5s in log....I've already upgraded to FCPX 10.4.7, but not Catalina.

Those projects will take a couple of months to finish, so should I upgrade to Catalina or stay on Mojave? :blink: :S

In general 10.4.7 works very well and there are some significant performance improvements. There is apparently an HEVC issue that causes crashes/instability but only with certain HEVC codecs. Reported cameras include DJI X5S, Panasonic EVA-1 and Arlo 4k Ultra. Note that is *only* with those specific cameras using HEVC, not if using any other codec such as H.264 or ProRes via HDMI recorder. On our Inspire 2 drones, we only shoot ProRes, so that is unaffected.

HEVC from an iPhone and some other cameras seems OK, however testing is incomplete.

The Panasonic cameras seem to use similar codec algorithms so I'd be suspicious of HEVC (esp. 10-bit) from a GH5, S1 or S1H. However I haven't seen that reported yet. We have an S1 but we use an external ProRes recorder.

It would seem this is a high-priority bug and I sent a complete problem replication package to Pro Apps five days ago. However we have no way of knowing how long it will take to fix it.

If you are not using HEVC you are probably OK.

Regarding Catalina, the main issue is loss of 32-bit support, which includes certain legacy codecs which were implemented in 32-bit code. The affected codecs are listed in the below article. Note since that article was written Apple has committed to supporting Avid DNxHD / DNxHR going forward.

support.apple.com/en-us/HT209000

For 32-bit apps or utilities, before upgrading check what 32-bit apps you have installed. Use the upper-left Apple menu>About This Mac>System Report>Applications.

Pull down the horizontal divider to see better, then click the right-most column which is "64-bit (Intel)". That sorts all installed apps by whether they are 32-bit or 64-bit.

For any app which says "32 bit", check whether an updated 64-bit version is available or whether you need the app anymore. If you need the app and no 64-bit version is available, either stay on Mojave or seek out an alternative app.
Last Edit: 31 Oct 2019 17:45 by joema.