Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Adjust exposure in a portion of a clip

Adjust exposure in a portion of a clip 17 Oct 2019 17:51 #102093

I have a drone aerial clip that did not have exposure lock on. A portion of the clip is under exposed. I am thinking that the only way to correct this is to blade the portion of underexposed footage and match all the clips.

Is there another way to modify a portion of the clip without cutting?

The scene is a continuous aerial tracked movement and I would like to have it remain that way if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Rich
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Adjust exposure in a portion of a clip 17 Oct 2019 19:11 #102095

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
You keyframe the clip a second or less before the change(s) occur (keyframes - diamond shaped button in the right corner of each color tool), then you set a second one when it‘s in full effect. You make the corrections (you can jump back and forth to compare) - done.
Last Edit: 17 Oct 2019 19:12 by Axel.

Adjust exposure in a portion of a clip 17 Oct 2019 19:34 #102097

• joema
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 266
Here is a Larry Jordan video about how to keyframe a color correction. It is very easy:

Adjust exposure in a portion of a clip 18 Oct 2019 00:47 #102103

Thanks . The more I get into this product the more I love it.

Adjust exposure in a portion of a clip 18 Oct 2019 03:15 #102104

• arc
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
ETdroneHome wrote:

To be fair every NLE can add key frames. Some would argue FCPX's key-framing is not the best.

Adjust exposure in a portion of a clip 18 Oct 2019 09:57 #102107

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
arc wrote:
ETdroneHome wrote:

To be fair every NLE can add key frames. Some would argue FCPX's key-framing is not the best.

In some instances, it sucks. But fortunately not for CC. Global keyframes suffice, since every change, be it H,S,L, temperature or tint, automatically creates a new keyframe - and what would you wish to edit there?

Adjust exposure in a portion of a clip 18 Oct 2019 15:56 #102116

• arc
  • Expert Boarder
Axel wrote:
arc wrote:
ETdroneHome wrote:

In some instances, it sucks. But fortunately not for CC. Global keyframes suffice, since every change, be it H,S,L, temperature or tint, automatically creates a new keyframe - and what would you wish to edit there?

Premiere Pro can do key-frame editing on clips in the sequence like FCPX but a dedicated key-frame editor makes it a little easier. I can key-frame with FCPX fairly decent but I wish FCPX had a dedicated key-frame editing panel. I like the color correction tools of FCPX better than Premiere Pro. The Lumetri Color Panel of Premiere Pro looks like Fisher Price compared to FCPX CC options.

Adjust exposure in a portion of a clip 19 Oct 2019 07:18 #102128

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
To have to deal with keyframes appears to be the lesser of two evils, since without them, how could we determine changes over time? If we record our actions the way we can in Motion, we still create keyframes. Imo Apple was always better in avoiding keyframes where they are unnecessary. For instance with retiming. There they are completely counter intuitive, and even Einstein would have had a hard time wrapping his head around the keyframe paths. It's almost as if Apple was ashamed of keyframes. But granted, as long as nobody comes up with a better alternative, there should be a better keyframe editor in FCP.

Adjust exposure in a portion of a clip 19 Oct 2019 21:57 #102140

• arc
  • Expert Boarder
Axel wrote:
To have to deal with keyframes appears to be the lesser of two evils, since without them, how could we determine changes over time? If we record our actions the way we can in Motion, we still create keyframes. Imo Apple was always better in avoiding keyframes where they are unnecessary. For instance with retiming. There they are completely counter intuitive, and even Einstein would have had a hard time wrapping his head around the keyframe paths. It's almost as if Apple was ashamed of keyframes. But granted, as long as nobody comes up with a better alternative, there should be a better keyframe editor in FCP.

I can do complex key-framing in FCPX. I just wish it had a dedicated key-frame editor. I don't use key-frames that often for color correction. I use them more for motion paths and motion blurs. Audio key-frames I use a lot but even audio key-frames I edit in the key-frame editing panel when using Premiere Pro as opposed to editing directly on audio clips in the sequence but both methods will work.

Adjust exposure in a portion of a clip 19 Oct 2019 22:16 #102141

• joema
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 266
arc wrote:
... I don't use key-frames that often for color correction. I use them more for motion paths and motion blurs....

For the OP's situation, adding a couple of keyframes for exposure correction is incredibly simple and fast. FCPX smoothly interpolates between them so the color and exposure do not suddenly change. For an outdoor-to-indoor situation you can often get by with 1 or 2 keyframes for the entire clip. In the above-referenced Larry Jordan tutorial he only used 3 keyframes.

I agree FCPX keyframing in other situations could use improvement but the situation being discussed was keyframing for an exposure change. That seems to work very well, unless the camera makes sudden step adjustments.

Adjust exposure in a portion of a clip 19 Oct 2019 23:14 #102146

• arc
  • Expert Boarder
FCPX smoothly interpolates between them so the color and exposure do not suddenly change. For an outdoor-to-indoor situation you can often get by with 1 or 2 keyframes for the entire clip. In the above-referenced Larry Jordan tutorial he only used 3 keyframes.

What NLE couldn't do the same thing?

I agree FCPX keyframing in other situations could use improvement but the situation being discussed was keyframing for an exposure change. That seems to work very well, unless the camera makes sudden step adjustments.

I simply let the OP know that all NLE can make use of key-frames not just FCPX. Like I stated many would argue key-framing in FCPX is kind of weak compared to some of the other NLE. No need to read more into it.