Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Closed caption embedding broken

Closed caption embedding broken 24 Oct 2019 23:31 #102246

• Oliver Peters
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Did this FCPX update break the closed caption embedding in the Share operation?

I am no longer able to export a ProRes master with embedded 608 closed captions. I can see them in the FCPX viewer and modify as needed. I can also export a separate .scc file. I can even burn them into the exported video. However, the exported master file doesn't display any embedded captions in Switch or QT Player. This worked prior to the update.

My current workaround is to export the .scc file from FCPX, bring it into Premiere to add to the master and then export an embedded master out of Premiere. I've tried on a couple of different machines to no avail, so this function appears to be broken.

FCPX 10.4.7
macOS 10.14.6
2013 MacPro 8-core/D500

- Oliver
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Closed caption embedding broken 25 Oct 2019 10:44 #102248

• Andreas Kiel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 166
Works fine here with same SW setup.

Closed caption embedding broken 25 Oct 2019 11:47 #102250

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 376
Or add it in with Compressor. But we do CC all the time here, no issues so far.

Closed caption embedding broken 25 Oct 2019 12:34 #102252

• Oliver Peters
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks. Yes, I tried Compressor, but it also didn't work. The answer seems to be related to the project start time.

The project (sequence) timecode has to start at 00:00:00:00 otherwise it doesn't work. My sequence was set to start at 01:00:00:00. After modifying the sequence start back to 00:00:00:00, then closed captions were properly embedded (and visible) in the exported master file.

That doesn't appear to be documented anywhere and certainly seems like a bug to me.

- Oliver

Closed caption embedding broken 26 Oct 2019 00:02 #102266

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
Why do you start projects at one hour? You're not cutting negative celluloid, there's no need for that anymore. FCPX defaults to a zero start time, also. Yes, CC should be a zero start time.

Closed caption embedding broken 26 Oct 2019 00:45 #102267

• Oliver Peters
  • Senior Boarder
FCPX.guru wrote:
Why do you start projects at one hour? You're not cutting negative celluloid, there's no need for that anymore. FCPX defaults to a zero start time, also. Yes, CC should be a zero start time.

Well, in part it's a habit from the linear days. 01:00:00:00 (DF) is customary in US broadcast and 10:00:00:00 is often used in the UK. I realize that in the file-based world it's not that necessary, but I still have numerous distribution outlets that require it. The reason for it is so that if you have to have bars and a slate, these can precede the show start time and you don't roll over midnight. That is still actually a requirement in some circles.

As far as CC requiring it - I think that's incorrect. I can export 1hr start times in Premiere and Media Composer with embedded captions, no issue. I also have older masters with embedded captions that start at 1hr and I'm pretty sure those were exported out of FCPX. So I feel like it did work prior to this update. I realize that at least for now :00 is the way to go in FCPX, but it truly shouldn't matter.

The odd part is that I can see it in the viewer and can even burn-in the titles and TC start time isn't an issue. Same if I simply export the .scc file. Only the embedding, which doesn't make a lot of sense.

Closed caption embedding broken 26 Oct 2019 03:55 #102270

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
I work in broadcast, haven't seen the one-hour requirement in many years. We use Rev.com, beta testing Scribeomatic from Coremelt. Never had issues with CC embedding. So I'm just guessing at what could be an issue. Technically if the duration is correct, it should line up properly.

Closed caption embedding broken 26 Oct 2019 16:46 #102278

• Oliver Peters
  • Senior Boarder
I agree that custom sequence start times are probably unnecessary and most likely anachronistic more often than not. But there are workflows where it's desirable and clearly FCPX enables custom start times.

So it would seem to me that if there is a legitimate restriction in regards to captioning - and not just a bug - then it should be documented or a warning presented upon export.

But I suppose we'll see if this changes in the next few updates. Something to keep an eye on at least.

- Oliver