Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Pluraleyes to FCP X any successes?

Pluraleyes to FCP X any successes? 25 Oct 2019 12:58 #102253

• VJIse
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi,
I have a support ticket with Red Giant for this issue. But I thought I'd check here to see if anyone here was using Pluraleyes?

We are trying to sync up Video with scratch sound recorded on an Atomos Shogun 7 in proRes 422 @ 1080 25p. The 2nd source audio is recorded in .wav on a Zoom F8 audio recorder on 2 independent tracks.
Everything works well inside Pluraleyes, the sync works. I export an FCPX XML from Pluraleyes with the option to create an event with replaced audio. When I import this to FCP X with either clips left in place or importing the media. The audio lanes for the synced audio are there but they are empty. So we have no audio in the event.

As an experiment, I saved out a Premiere XML from Pluraleyes and brought that into Resolve 16.1, the audio linked and was in sync. I then saved an FCPX XML from Resolve, brought that into FCP X. It came in as a project. It had all the 2nd source audio in the correct place, but it hadn't made sync clips. I then tried the FCP X XML from Pluaraleyes in Resolve and that gave an error. And listed the FCP X XML versions that Resolve supported which were from 1.3 to 1.8. So I opened that XML in TextEdit and Pluraleyes is saving out a version 1.2 FCP X XML.

So on to my main question has anyone managed to get an XML from Pluraleyes to FCPX and have all the synced audio brought in? If you have what version of FCP X did you use? and what was the version of Pluraleyes?

Thanks

Ian
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Pluraleyes to FCP X any successes? 25 Oct 2019 13:15 #102254

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 266
VJIse wrote:
...So on to my main question has anyone managed to get an XML from Pluraleyes to FCPX and have all the synced audio brought in? If you have what version of FCP X did you use? and what was the version of Pluraleyes?...

I have done this many times without problem from PluralEyes 3.5 up to the current version which is 4.1.8. I haven't tried it on FCPX 10.4.7 but I used it on many prior versions. Usually audio is a polyphonic .wav file from a Zoom F8 or Sound Devices MixPre-6. We always import with "leave files in place". Camera media is UHD 4k H264 29.97 or 23.98 fps 8-bit 4:2:0 from Sony Alpha, Panasonic DVX-200, GH5 and S1 and also ProRes 422 from the same cameras captured via Atomos Ninja V. I think the S1 does 10-bit 4:2:2 ProRes to the Ninja V and the Alpha cameras 8-bit 4:2:2.

However - I never use the option to replace audio, I always want all the audio sent to FCPX and I manipulate it myself. Maybe there is a bug there?

In general my doc team doesn't use PluralEyes much since we started using Tentacle devices for sync. Those are a much better, faster, more reliable workflow. However we still use PE occasionally for special situations. The sync algorithms are definitely better than FCPX.

In the worst case scenario where audio recorder date/time was not set properly and folder management did not group audio with corresponding video, PE is so fast it can search across hundreds or even thousands of files looking for a sync match based solely on waveform. When that happens I use it as a search tool to find the audio for a given video clip, then sync those files in FCPX.
Last Edit: 25 Oct 2019 13:18 by joema.

Pluraleyes to FCP X any successes? 25 Oct 2019 13:55 #102255

• VJIse
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks joema, we do use Tentacle Sync. We want to give our students as much experience as we can. So we thought we'd teach them Tentacle sync, Sync'n Link and Pluraleyes. I'll try the option from Pluraleyes to export all the audio and not just the 2nd source.

Ian