Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Multicam 23.98fps in a 25fps timeline pitch issue

Multicam 23.98fps in a 25fps timeline pitch issue 25 Oct 2019 20:36 #102263

• blaxh404
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello everyone,
I am new here and I am posting a question which has been discussed over and over after a few google investigations, unfortunately none had a decent answer to my current situation.

I am editing a live video of 45 minutes in a multicam setup with 12 angles (I am using FCPX 10.2 on El Captain). My multicam uses proxys and cameras frame rate are all over the place (23.98, 24 and 25 fps). My multicam itself (set at 23.98) has however no sync or pitch issue as it has already been pointed out in other threads, the problem only lies on the timeline.

I used a 25 fps timeline with a 23.98 fps multicam without noticing the slight acceleration and a pitch shifting towards the highs. I am actually extremely screwed now since my project is reaching the end after hours, days and weeks of editing. I was aware of the project settings "25fps" and I thought about finishing the project, backing it up and trying to change this option.. however I didn't thought I was gonna be greyed out...

I checked everywhere and it seems that there are no answer to this problem. People say that its better to restart the edit, however it is really not an option in my case since it will take me way too long..
I am thinking about maybe exporting the video and then slowing down by the factor 23.98/25 = 0.9592 and then adding the audio track on top of that. What do you guys think? I really don't want to denaturate the audio, this is my main priority.
It is really weird that final cut doesn't allow anything like this, all the potential settings are greyed out. I understand It will affect many timecodes and probably the edit, but if I only need to readjust some cuts, its definitely different than restarting from scratch.

I hope you can bring some light to my idea and maybe providing me a solution, otherwise I will probably start a war against finalcut after loosing all my tears of distress.

let me know if something is still unclear, I really need help

Thanks !
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Multicam 23.98fps in a 25fps timeline pitch issue 26 Oct 2019 15:04 #102275

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 225
I can't determine your pitch issue as that generally has more to do with the audio sample rates of the individual clips than it does the framerate of the project those clips are in. BUT - while you cannot alter the timebase of a project once clips are dropped into the timeline of a given project, you can create an entirely new project with whatever timebase (framerate) you desire and then copy all the clips from the existing project into the new project. This will maintain your edits and the project will now be at the new framerate. Maybe this will help with part of your problem.
Creating history....one edit at a time !

Multicam 23.98fps in a 25fps timeline pitch issue 26 Oct 2019 15:16 #102277

• blaxh404
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for your reply! I unfortunately dont know much about the audio sample rate. What i can tell you is that the multicam setting has the same audio sampling rate as the timeline (48kHz). I am 99% sure that the problem comes from this FPS setting.

Actually, i tried to paste it on another project but this is also greyed out. (sorry its in french). Its means that it adapted the FPS from 23.98 to 25 and i cant change that. Even if my project setting is at 23.98. I did an experiment is a new project (23.98fps setting) and I added my multicam from the inspector unedited. No issue, the sound was fine. Then i pasted the whole content of the other project and it was shorter! (due to this FPS difference, and the pitch was also higher) The timeline was also messed up since some clips were not aligned as they used to before.

Hope its more clear and that you have an idea.

I feel like my only solution is to export the whole project in this pitched up version, then created a new timeline with this whole printed video and slowing it down at 96% with the "non conserved pitch" setting.. I tried for short clip and it seemed to work, I dont know how it can affect the audio and video render on the whole project though.

Have a good day!
Attachments: