Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: FS7 S&Q Motion Footage set to regular speed in FCPX

FS7 S&Q Motion Footage set to regular speed in FCPX 04 Nov 2019 15:53 #102459

Hello,

I shot footage using the S&Q mode on the FS7 going to 60fps. When I imported the footage into FCPX the information says the footage is 24fps, and it is playing back at a slow speed.

I am trying now to set some of this footage back to normal speed as best as I can. I understand there are problems with choppy footage since I also changed the frame rate to 1/120.

What is my best solution here since the footage isn't showing up as 60fps so I can't utilize any of those options of dragging that into a 24fps timeline. How can I get this footage looking as smooth and "normal" as possible.

Thank you!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

FS7 S&Q Motion Footage set to regular speed in FCPX 05 Nov 2019 03:06 #102475

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 225
Your description of what you are trying to do is somewhat confusing, but maybe this will clarify some things for you.
If you set your project timeline to a particular frame rate (i.e. 24p, 29.97, etc.), then that will be your project base frame rate. Any clips (regardless of the fps they were shot in) will be conformed to the project base frame rate when you drag them to the timeline and will play back at that rate. If you want any or all of those clips in the timeline to playback at the FPS you shot them in, (such as 120 fps in the S&Q mode of the FS7) then you select that clip (or clips) and use the retime menu to choose AUTOMATIC speed. This will play those clips in slow motion at 120fps. You can think of AUTOMATIC speed as the fps rate that a clip was originally shot in and that can be either the same or different as the project frame rate established when you created the project.
Creating history....one edit at a time !
Last Edit: 05 Nov 2019 03:09 by dgwvideo.

FS7 S&Q Motion Footage set to regular speed in FCPX 11 Nov 2019 06:50 #102604

• DmitriZigany
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
I believe that if you have the FS7 set to 24p and then record 60p using the S&Q button, it will still record as a 24p file but in slow motion.
If you go into settings and change to 60p it will record as a 60p file and the Automatic Speed mentioned above will work.