Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: method/equipment transfer video 8 cassette movie to iPhoto

method/equipment transfer video 8 cassette movie to iPhoto 09 Nov 2019 23:46 #102559

• arc
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
dgwvideo wrote:
The intensity Shuttle is more of a consumer product. BMD does have a new pro capture solution with the Ultrastudio 4K mini and 4K Extreme using Thunderbolt 3. The Ultrastudio Mini HD also uses Thunderbolt, but not sure which generation.

I am well aware of BMD product line but I don't think any of them can capture VHS tapes without the use of a TBC can they? The video below will show you why a TBC is need when using the Intensity Shuttle. That is why I use the Canopus ADVC 110 for video capture. Having said that the Intensity Shuttle works great for playback when using Premiere Pro. With FCPX the playback is not that great.

The administrator has disabled public write access.

method/equipment transfer video 8 cassette movie to iPhoto 10 Nov 2019 01:19 #102566

• dgwvideo
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 226
You are correct. A TBC, or otherwise completely stable and synced video feed is mandatory for a consistent capture. We use commercial VTR's (both Betacam and VHS) with built in TBC's to transfer to the Intensity 4K Pcie card via component analog signals, and that BMD card also provides a broadcast level output. We run Media Express for the capture and using BMD Desktop Video we have full control over the audio and video signals for the capture. We also monitor the output capture on a JVC broadcast CRT. I have tried running a consumer deck to it just to test things and in some cases we saw a signal and it did capture, but because of lack of sync, it basically won't work. When the consumer deck was tried with either Canopus ADVC300 or our ADVC500 it worked perfectly. Those devices were set to insert internal sync to the signal rather than use external sync from the tape. The ADVC 110 is a little different. While it doesn't have a TBC, it does have digital-in sync, and even the analog signals fed to it are synced internally before being converted to digital on the output.
Creating history....one edit at a time !

method/equipment transfer video 8 cassette movie to iPhoto 10 Nov 2019 14:50 #102578

• arc
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
To me the DV Fire Wire converters were the greatest thing since sliced bread back in 2003. You could simply use Premiere Pro, Avid, Edius, Sony Vegas or FCP to capture and playback in real-time to broadcast compliant hardware using an inexpensive $140.00 Fire Wire based DV converter instead of using a $1000-$1600 Canopus DV Storm , Pinnacle Pro One or Matrox RT 2500 that required drivers. The DV converters were plug n play with Mac and PC. I sold my Canopus DV Storm after becoming hip to the Fire Wire based DV converters. I had also used a Pinnacle Pro One and Matrox RT 2000 but had got rid of them a couple years earlier in favor of the Canopus DV Strom.
  • Page: