fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Remaking Project with videos sourced on external SSD rather than macbook pro hard drive

Remaking Project with videos sourced on external SSD rather than macbook pro hard drive 11 Dec 2019 03:26 #103115

• johnemanuele
  • johnemanuele's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello
I am building a 4k film in Final Cut X. When I began the project I was unaware that i was copying all of the files that i was using to the hard drive of my mac pro. I’ve turned that setting off now, but the hard drive on my computer is nearly full. How would it be possible for me to delete the copied cache from my macbook, and then use existing folders or projects to recreate the same movie i was making, but pulling the hard drive off my external USB 3.0 SSD instead of from the hard drive inside the macbook pro. TIA, any help is much appreciated.

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Remaking Project with videos sourced on external SSD rather than macbook pro hard drive 11 Dec 2019 06:34 #103117

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 402
Copy the Library to your external drive. Do a Consolidate command. Verify the files are in that Library in the external drive. Delete the one on your system drive. Do not create secondary storage locations, you'll just convolute the whole system.

Remaking Project with videos sourced on external SSD rather than macbook pro hard drive 11 Dec 2019 14:03 #103131

• johnemanuele
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey,
Thank you for this, I think this will work, however i am afraid of running out of space on the external drive with this option. Is there a way to forego having the library all together and have the files just read from their original location without being copied to a library? That would be optimal for my situation. Thank you again!

John

Remaking Project with videos sourced on external SSD rather than macbook pro hard drive 11 Dec 2019 19:41 #103139

• johnemanuele
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Is there a way that instead of using a library i can make the project just reference the original files on the external drive? i will end up out of space on the external as well if i have the library + all the files.

Any suggestions?

Remaking Project with videos sourced on external SSD rather than macbook pro hard drive 11 Dec 2019 19:42 #103140

• johnemanuele
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Is there a way to make the project just reference the original files on the external hard drive rather than the library? i will run out of space on the external as well if it has to house both all my original files and a copied version of those in the library. Any advice?

Remaking Project with videos sourced on external SSD rather than macbook pro hard drive 12 Dec 2019 16:02 #103169

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 279

johnemanuele wrote: Hey,
.... i am afraid of running out of space on the external drive with this option. Is there a way to forego having the library all together and have the files just read from their original location without being copied to a library?...

What FCPX.guru said is correct. You have media copied inside the library, and maybe some not copied. - IOW maybe a mix of copied and "in place" media.

Once files are inside the library you cannot reliably "remap" those to external files. The copy process will often rename the files or add a unique suffix. If you have not done any editing or organizational work, yes you can blow it away and re-import. But you can't save existing work if the filenames will be changed, and out of caution you must assume they were changed during the import hence cannot be relinked to the external files.

FCPX will not tell you the location of each media file. The 3rd party tool Final Cut Library Manager will create an XLS file showing this: www.arcticwhiteness.com/finalcutlibrarymanager/

As FCPX.guru said the only safe way is copy the library bundle itself somewhere else, then check the Library Inspector>Media says "In Library". If so you can Consolidate which gathers any media files which were imported "in place" to within the library.

You can often reduce space requirements by deleting all generated library files, including render files, proxies and optimized media. That is safe and those can be rebuilt. Before doing that make sure background rendering is off in FCPX preferences, else it may start creating more render files. Doing that may allow enough space to copy the library to external drive then consolidate. If not you will have to obtain sufficient drive space.

If you have used optical flow retiming or rate conforming, those analysis files can be quite large and there's no built-in command to delete them. The above Library File Manager will safely delete those.

For this reason the best approach - before importing anything - is define library storage locations via library inspector>storage locations>modify settings, for both media and cache, then import using "leave files in place". The existing media files will be referenced. The only thing placed in the media folder will be proxies or optimized media and only if you generate those. This keeps the library small which facilitates portability and backup.

Ideally before importing anything make sure all your media files are globally unique. Rename them or add a suffix if needed. This will pay dividends later. If you haven't done this, don't worry about it but next time do that.

• Page: