Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Media & Cache on shared storage network

Media & Cache on shared storage network 08 Jan 2020 13:55 #103790

• oldsoul
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Wondering where you all keep your Media and Cache folders when working in a shared network environment. We have an EVO with multiple users. All has been working amazingly until recently. We keep getting a FCP dialog that says that FCP cannot save changes to the Library. The storage location for one or more libraries is no longer available. FCP then closes that library but doesn’t crash. In fact all remaining libraries are still active. Our setup has been media , cache and all video, graphics, sound etc kept on a share of the network. Libraries and BU’s on a different share of the network. This worked well for over a year then all of a sudden this is popping up.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Media & Cache on shared storage network 08 Jan 2020 14:41 #103791

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 688
Anything change? What software version? What OS?

Media & Cache on shared storage network 08 Jan 2020 16:06 #103792

• oldsoul
  • Junior Boarder
It started when we were on High Sierra and the highest version of FCP. We since we have upgraded to Mojave and FCP 10.4.8. No difference. One little test we did was move the library to a direct attached Pegasus drive and that ran smoothly. When I moved the library back to an SMB network share the problem came back.
I was thinking that perhaps the storage location of backups, cache and or media might be a factor.

Media & Cache on shared storage network 08 Jan 2020 17:58 #103795

• ronny courtens
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 889
You should not have any issues storing FCP X Libraries, cache folders and media on an SMB share or on separate shares. We do this all the time on a Jellyfish. This works with any MacOS or FCP X version. So I suggest you contact EVO support, they need to fix this.

- Ronny

Media & Cache on shared storage network 08 Jan 2020 18:45 #103796

• oldsoul
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks Ronny,
Agreed it should work and has been working well for some time. I need to figure what has changed or causing conflict. The other thing is I moved the library off the EVO onto another SMB network and had the same problem.
It’s really a strange issue as none of the shares dismount or loose connection. This is a tough one.

Media & Cache on shared storage network 08 Jan 2020 18:58 #103797

• ronny courtens
  • NOW ONLINE
It is worth noting that there have been some major changes to SMB in the latest 2 MacOS updates. But that should not cause the issue you describe. I have a major client in Norway who works with more than 70 fcp x workstations over smb and they don’t have any issues at all. Have you tried storing the libraries on the same share as the media and cache folders?

- Ronny

Media & Cache on shared storage network 08 Jan 2020 20:19 #103801

• oldsoul
  • Junior Boarder
I guess that’s what’s so frustrating g about this issue. I know it works and works well also. Just some thing went wrong somewhere.
I have not tried keeping everytjing on the same share. I thought it would be best to keep them separate. I’ll give that a try tomorrow.

Media & Cache on shared storage network 14 Jan 2020 00:01 #103891

• oldsoul
  • Junior Boarder
Moved the Library to the same share as Media & Cache and got the same fault.

Media & Cache on shared storage network 15 Jan 2020 14:48 #103926

• ronny courtens
  • NOW ONLINE
I have talked with our tech team about this. As I said, there have been big changes in the way MacOS handles SMB since High Sierra. We were aware of these changes and pushed updates to all our clients prior to the OS updates to prevent any such issues. So you really should contact EVO to see if there are any updates you should do.

- Ronny

Media & Cache on shared storage network 17 Jan 2020 22:00 #103974

• oldsoul
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks again Ronny. I have been working with SNS since the beginning on this and we can't exactly recreate the problem consistently at all. As far as SMB goes they are aware of packet signing issues with performance but no direct connection to this issue to pinpoint a patch of any kind.

Media & Cache on shared storage network 20 Jan 2020 03:16 #104031

• JeremyG
  • Fresh Boarder
I’m having some trouble as well. When I move libraries off of the share, that library somehow gets “corrupted”, but this is exclusive to Catalina. When playing back in the timeline, the share is ejected and fcpx gets the warning about not being able to save. It’s not just the share being ejected, but the whole 10Gb pipe is shut down and then subsequently recovers. Internet and everything goes away and then comes back. That library is then inoperable on Catalina based machines, but opens and plays just fine on Mojave machines.

If start a new library using Catalina, and I don’t move the library off of the share, then it works. Seems to be some sort of ‘bug’ in Catalina. I have more testing to do to really track it down, but that’s what I’ve learned so far.