Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Non-FCPX generated proxy workflow?

Non-FCPX generated proxy workflow? 14 Jan 2020 14:25 #103900

• DmitriZigany
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
Hey!

I've ordered the new Sony FX9 camera (should arrive in a couple of weeks). And as it can shoot proxy files at the same time as the hi res footage, I've been thinking about the workflow for non-FCPX generated proxies. How do you guys deal with those?
Do you just manually relink the files when it's time to switch to the high res ones, or what?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Non-FCPX generated proxy workflow? 14 Jan 2020 20:02 #103909

• joema
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 275
DmitriZigany wrote:
...Do you just manually relink the files when it's time to switch to the high res ones, or what?

A lot of RED camera users do that. Each camera proxy case is unique, so you'll have to test the FX9 material and see how it works.

I'm interested in several things about that camera:

- How well electronic stabilization works via gyro data using Sony Catalyst
- When ProRes RAW via Atomos will be available, as it is on the FS5 and FS7
- How FCPX handles the 10-bit, 600 mbps XAVC-I material

Non-FCPX generated proxy workflow? 14 Jan 2020 23:27 #103916

• DmitriZigany
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
I don’t have the camera yet but

- gyro data is supposed to work very well according to all reports I’ve seen. I’m hoping Apple will add support for it in FCPX sooner rather than later though, as it would be very much preferably to be able to use it directly in FCPX.

- The Firmware that support the raw output will be released in the summer. Hopefully Atomos will have a new recorder that can handle the 16bit raw by then.
It sucks that you need the extension back to output raw, just like on the FS7. That will likely mean that I can’t be arsed with it, as it’s a big expense and makes the camera way to big.

- The codecs are the same as in the FS7 so files should handle exactly the same.

Non-FCPX generated proxy workflow? 15 Jan 2020 13:44 #103923

• Axel
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 68
DmitriZigany wrote:

Do you just manually relink the files when it's time to switch to the high res ones, or what?

Didn't an update in 10.3 or early 10.4 describe exactly how to deal with externally transcoded proxies? Because, just importing proxies and later relinking the originals could lead to conflicts. FCPX needs to know the specs of the original footage and treat the proxies as such, otherwise scaling and masking asf. couldn't translate reliably.

Non-FCPX generated proxy workflow? 15 Jan 2020 13:53 #103924

• joema
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 275
Axel wrote:

...Didn't an update in 10.3 or early 10.4 describe exactly how to deal with externally transcoded proxies? Because, just importing proxies and later relinking the originals could lead to conflicts. FCPX needs to know the specs of the original footage and treat the proxies as such, otherwise scaling and masking asf. couldn't translate reliably.

I don't remember any official info or a product change to deal with externally transcoded proxies. We know from trial & error that relink to externally-generated proxies works provided the below constraints are met. You are right it cannot be done blindly but the workflow must be tested and verified for each codec, esp. focusing on things like aspect ratio, scaling, masking, etc. But a lot of larger shops do this, esp. those using RED cameras.

www.fcp.co/fcp-forum/4-final-cut-pro-x-f...-than-in-fcpx#103899