Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Login With Facebook

TOPIC: Wish List for FCPX 1.0.4 (or whatever comes after 1.0.3)

Re: Wish List for FCPX 1.0.4 (or whatever comes after 1.0.3) 31 Mar 2012 07:55 #6348

• dgwvideo
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 80
I should add one more piece of information. The clip that only plays audio when opened in QT10 shows in the get info screen a video thumbnail which plays perfectly....weird.
Creating history....one edit at a time !
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Wish List for FCPX 1.0.4 (or whatever comes after 1.0.3) 31 Mar 2012 09:23 #6350

• mmorache
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
For a start:
  • Paste attributes
  • Send to motion
  • Batch export
  • Better project/event management (no timeline views of projects)
  • Audio mixer (tied with gestures on keypad to adjust 3-4 tracks at a time with existing hardware)
  • Better audio editing within timeline (expand all enabled channels in project timeline for audio mixing, not just it's own timeline)
  • Better audio mixing with multicam clips.
  • Lane assignments/hiarchy (certain roles migrate above others) and/or clip colors by role
  • Event filtering based on used/unused footage in timeline.
  • Undo bug fix.
  • Favorites folder for general effects, and effects with settings.
  • Get rid of the hum and noise analysis. I use the auto loudness, but I think FCP is analyzing the hum and noise also, so the backround analysis is quite long, especially considering that the noise removal is practically useless.
  • Fix the jumpy timeline!
  • Fix the processor draw that is using my cores even when no background processes are running!
  • Better range selection and editing to non-primary storylines

Re: Wish List for FCPX 1.0.4 (or whatever comes after 1.0.3) 31 Mar 2012 09:26 #6352

• BenB
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 598
dgwvideo wrote:
I should add one more piece of information. The clip that only plays audio when opened in QT10 shows in the get info screen a video thumbnail which plays perfectly....weird.

Yes, I've been seeing this on rare occasion since 10.0.0. Was originally the DVCPRO-HD codec, but that seems to have been fixed. NTSC-DV seems to have a rare issue, as does PAL video.

Favorites folder, we have one, it's called Themes. One stop shop for all related stuff, configure as you wish.
Last Edit: 31 Mar 2012 09:51 by BenB.

Re: Wish List for FCPX 1.0.4 (or whatever comes after 1.0.3) 31 Mar 2012 18:42 #6359

• Tom Wolsky
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 230
Anybody know how to download from Vimeo?

Re: Wish List for FCPX 1.0.4 (or whatever comes after 1.0.3) 31 Mar 2012 19:40 #6364

• NocoDave
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 84
You need to log in and a "Download This Video" link appears under "About This Video" at the bottom right if the user allowed it, As Dan has.

Re: Wish List for FCPX 1.0.4 (or whatever comes after 1.0.3) 31 Mar 2012 21:18 #6367

• Tom Wolsky
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks NocoDave.

It looks like the video track is switched off. The file size indicates there's video there.

Re: Wish List for FCPX 1.0.4 (or whatever comes after 1.0.3) 31 Mar 2012 21:27 #6368

• dgwvideo
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
Yes..that's exactly what I described in the post on the previous page. The question is why?
Not sure what testing you did on that clip, but if you open it in QT7 it plays video and audio. Open it in QT10...audio only.
I know this is why it shows up in fcpx upon import with no video....
Try saving it directly in QT7 then you'll see it now shows up fine it QT10.

Re: Wish List for FCPX 1.0.4 (or whatever comes after 1.0.3) 31 Mar 2012 21:35 #6369

• Tom Wolsky
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
It looks like the video track is being switched off. The file size indicates the file is large enough to have the video track. I don't know where this is happening or why QT X and FCP and Finder info all see this as a large file, with a low data rate, and no video track. I wonder if this is a Lion thing. Though oddly someone today reported that XDCAM footage was not showing up in Snow Leopard, but appearing in Lion, just like yours isn't showing up in QT X. This whole OS and QT X dumbing down has been a bumpy ride to say the least.

Re: Wish List for FCPX 1.0.4 (or whatever comes after 1.0.3) 31 Mar 2012 21:45 #6371

• parkerhqj
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Having favorite clips viewable in thumbnails and not just lists.

Re: Wish List for FCPX 1.0.4 (or whatever comes after 1.0.3) 31 Mar 2012 21:46 #6372

• dgwvideo
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
Well at least you are seeing the same thing that I am...confirming I am not alone with this issue. I wonder if the Canopus (Grass Valley) converter I am using is capturing with some information into fcp6 that doesn't get translated over when the file is opened in QT10. Although a quick export from QT7 within Lion then makes it functional in QT10. Have no idea what to do from here other than continue my workaround.

Re: Wish List for FCPX 1.0.4 (or whatever comes after 1.0.3) 31 Mar 2012 21:47 #6373

• dgwvideo
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
parkerhqj wrote:
Having favorite clips viewable in thumbnails and not just lists.

They are viewable if you are marking favorites and then from the event browser in thumbnail view select "Favorites Only" at the top.

Re: Wish List for FCPX 1.0.4 (or whatever comes after 1.0.3) 31 Mar 2012 23:08 #6377

• Tom Wolsky
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
The only suggestion I would have would be to use Compressor or MPEG Streamclip, which have batch export functions. It does work in Compressor 4 BTW.

I wonder of the Big Endian encoding of the audio is causing the problem. It's normally Little Endian.

Re: Wish List for FCPX 1.0.4 (or whatever comes after 1.0.3) 31 Mar 2012 23:30 #6379

• BenB
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 598
Macs that have the audio hardware to encode Big Endian do as a default setting, those without the hardware encode Little Endian, it's all in one little audio chip. It actually makes no difference to the sound fidelity either way, nor should it matter to any software reading the file. I'd be extremely surprised if that ever made a difference in anything. Most all modern Macs do Big Endian now, I believe.
Last Edit: 31 Mar 2012 23:31 by BenB.

Re: Wish List for FCPX 1.0.4 (or whatever comes after 1.0.3) 01 Apr 2012 00:25 #6384

• Mikeybouchereau
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 76
@dgwvideo I have actually seen this quite a few times with the differences in QuickTime 7 vs QuickTime 10. It has to do with the ordering of the header info. Basically QuickTimeX (AV foundation looks for Video then Audio) but if it see's audio first it just stops. I am on my iPad right now on a shoot but if you look at your file that is not working vs a file that is working in QT7 you should see in the inspector that the one that is working reports the video codec first, then the audio codec. All the files that do not work report the audio first. This is because it was used using the DV codec via FireWire in FCP7 or before. I would use mpeg streamclip or comparessor to make it DV/DVCPRO - NTSC QuickTime movie file and it should work.

This is also the same reason that causes the anamorphic flag created in fcp7 or before to be ignored in QuickTime X. It's all about the header info on the clip.

Re: Wish List for FCPX 1.0.4 (or whatever comes after 1.0.3) 01 Apr 2012 03:07 #6397

• dgwvideo
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks, Mikey...I'll check that out. Just glad to hear the problem is recognized as opposed to nobody else seeing it.

Re: Wish List for FCPX 1.0.4 (or whatever comes after 1.0.3) 01 Apr 2012 05:13 #6402

Built in footage denoiser, Audio Mixer, and selective export and tracking would do it for moi.

Re: Wish List for FCPX 1.0.4 (or whatever comes after 1.0.3) 01 Apr 2012 06:43 #6403

• dgwvideo
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
@Mikeybouchereau
After rereading your post, the file is already a DVCPRO NTSC quicktime movie. When you have a chance you can download it here and see what you think.

vimeo.com/39514593

Re: Wish List for FCPX 1.0.4 (or whatever comes after 1.0.3) 01 Apr 2012 08:53 #6407

• Mikeybouchereau
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
@dgwvideo I see what you mean, I haven't seen the issue with other codecs, every file I came across was using the DV codec not the one that this clip is using. But it is have that same header issue. I would just create a compressor droplet and run any video that has this issue through it and create a prores version.

But I do see your issue, its a change from the QT architecture to the AV Foundation architecture.

This is the clip in QTX (AV Foundation)
ScreenShot2012-03-31at11.48.12PM.png

This is the clip in QT7
ScreenShot2012-03-31at11.48.33PM.png

I wonder if Jon Chappell from Digital Rebellion could take a look at this, he is a master with this sort of stuff.

Re: Wish List for FCPX 1.0.4 (or whatever comes after 1.0.3) 01 Apr 2012 09:02 #6408

• Mikeybouchereau
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
And I spoke too soon about Jon Chappell, I ran your clip through QT Repair, it didnt fix it. I then ran it through QT Edit, added a TC track. Saved and it worked. In QTX.

I guess he already has a tool to fix your issue. QT Edit is part of his Pro Media Tools.

The Fixed Version
ScreenShot2012-03-31at11.59.43PM.png

Tool Used (Changed Meta Data/Header info)
ScreenShot2012-03-31at11.59.55PM.png

Re: Wish List for FCPX 1.0.4 (or whatever comes after 1.0.3) 01 Apr 2012 09:37 #6409

• dgwvideo
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
@Mikeybouchereau
There is an even easier fix, which is what I've been doing. Simply open the file in QT7 under Lion and duplicate it, and re-save or save as a new file. Then it immediately opens in QT10 with video and audio all intact. I have also been exporting out of QT7 with the same results. No need to go to compressor or use another app.

I think this may have something to do with Lion and legacy QT and I haven't tested it in any other OS other than Tiger 10.4.11 which is what it was originally captured on.

If you haven't read the entire thread, at least look at my last post on the first page of this thread where BenB, Tom Wolsky and I have been kicking this around. I still think Lion may be the culprit.

EDIT: Maybe QT Edit would be faster than re-saving a long 2 hour VHS capture if it only needs to modify the header info, so I will look at that.

Sorry for taking this original thread about FCPX updates off topic....it just happened
Last Edit: 01 Apr 2012 09:40 by dgwvideo.