Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Stretched (and blurry) video frame after transforming size.

Stretched (and blurry) video frame after transforming size. 24 Apr 2012 22:36 #7604

Was wondering if anyone was experiencing this as it consistently happens to me when I transform a clip.

The right edge of the video stretches and blurs. In the work flow if I nudge the size just a little it corrects, but only returns the next time I play through it again. Very frustrating.

Here is an image of what I mean >

skit.ch/npbn
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Stretched (and blurry) video frame after transforming size. 24 Apr 2012 23:44 #7609

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 690
Click the reset button for the Transform section in the Inspector to be sure you don't have any accidental keyframes. If you're working directly inside of the Canvas, be sure to hit the Done button when you're finished.

I'm trying to duplicate this and am unable. Are there any effects applied to the clip or anything?

It really sounds like there's an orphaned keyframe somewhere.

Re: Stretched (and blurry) video frame after transforming size. 19 May 2012 06:40 #8619

• 777twist
  • Fresh Boarder
MyCrummyApartment wrote:
Was wondering if anyone was experiencing this as it consistently happens to me when I transform a clip.

The right edge of the video stretches and blurs. In the work flow if I nudge the size just a little it corrects, but only returns the next time I play through it again. Very frustrating.

Here is an image of what I mean >

skit.ch/npbn

Yes, I'm having the same issue. FCPX's key framing blows. It's hard enough doing the same thing over and over without having to start from scratch to fix issues like this.

Oh well.

Re: Stretched (and blurry) video frame after transforming size. 19 May 2012 07:40 #8622

• 777twist
  • Fresh Boarder
FYI, I trashed my prefs and that seemed to help.

Re: Stretched (and blurry) video frame after transforming size. 19 May 2012 07:44 #8623

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 83
What is it about the key framing in FCPX you don't like?
Creating history....one edit at a time !

Re: Stretched (and blurry) video frame after transforming size. 19 May 2012 08:46 #8630

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 690
From the screen capture, that image is way more wide than normal HD 16:9.

Re: Stretched (and blurry) video frame after transforming size. 19 May 2012 08:59 #8635

• 777twist
  • Fresh Boarder
BenB wrote:
From the screen capture, that image is way more wide than normal HD 16:9.

Na, it really has nothing to do with that. It's just a glitch or bug. Basically where ever you place your video on the screen using the transform controls, the right edge of the video (of the inset box) will stretch to the end of the screen. Mine actually looked worse, because my box shot was more to the left the screen, thus the stretch went a lot further.

It's kind of the same as if you were to shrink an image in Photoshop, and then do a selection box around the last 1 - 5 rows of pixels on the edge of your image. Then do a transform on that selection box, and drag it to the side so the edge of the selection box and thus your underlying picture is stretched to the edge of your screen.

I hope I explained it well. But for me, trashing my prefs fixed it.

Re: Stretched (and blurry) video frame after transforming size. 19 May 2012 09:06 #8638

• 777twist
  • Fresh Boarder
dgwvideo wrote:
What is it about the key framing in FCPX you don't like?

I would say that maybe I just didn't like them coming from FCP7 and earlier, as well as other programs such as After Effects, Lightwave, etc...

But it's just a poor system. For example, I wanted to do a very simple move. I have these videos that I produce for me and my co-workers weight loss challenge. I don't have time to mess around too much with them. So I needed the workflow to be pretty streamlined. Well, I built an image in Photoshop that captures data from Excel, easy!

Then I basically just use that image as a background for only the time the person is stepping on the scale. I would rather do a nice move, but I don't have time to mess with it. So I was fine with a simple transform to a box shot type move. I was even going to make it easier and make the move the same duration each time, and just copy and paste the keyframes from one clip to another.

Can you copy keyframes... sure. But once they are on the new clip, you can't move them as one unit. I have never come across key framing like this. So basically I have to move each keyframe separately, and that's just annoying.

Actually FCPX's copy paste attributes/Effects is WAY WEAKER than what it was in FCP7.

Hope that answers your question.