Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: just want to add brightness on a clip thats been shot almost in zero light

just want to add brightness on a clip thats been shot almost in zero light 25 Apr 2012 22:06 #7629

• foteinakos
  • Fresh Boarder
hello to all..i am new with this software..i have a really dark clip and i only want to make it brighter..is that easy and possible? thx in advance
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: just want to add brightness on a clip thats been shot almost in zero light 26 Apr 2012 01:49 #7639

• cgbier
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 53
How dark is it? For a quick fix, you just can raise the global exposure in the color panel, then fine tune blacks, mid tones and highlights.

But be careful: If you have to raise it too far you will introduce (or make visible) a lot of noise and artifacts.

Re: just want to add brightness on a clip thats been shot almost in zero light 26 Apr 2012 18:22 #7668

• Duncan Craig
  • Senior Boarder
  • duncancraig.co.uk
  • Thank you received: 6
'Levels' is a great tool for extreme brightness gain. Try Alex4d's free plugin:
alex4d.wordpress.com/2012/03/22/11-colour-fcpx-filters/

Inside the RGB pulldown menu, find the 'White in' slider and whack it down.

The 'White out' doesn't have the effect I was expecting though. Using legacy Nattress levels plugins you can watch your peak white in the scopes and hard clip them down to 100% using the 'White out' slider (or its' equivalent anyway..)

Re: just want to add brightness on a clip thats been shot almost in zero light 26 Apr 2012 19:02 #7670

• foteinakos
  • Fresh Boarder
hello duncan.i dont have color in my effects..is it a plugin?and how do i install it in my fcp x?
thank you

Re: just want to add brightness on a clip thats been shot almost in zero light 26 Apr 2012 19:07 #7671

• foteinakos
  • Fresh Boarder
o ok..i downloaded it but i need a program to run the mtt file..any suggestion?

Re: just want to add brightness on a clip thats been shot almost in zero light 26 Apr 2012 19:14 #7672

• Duncan Craig
  • Senior Boarder
  • duncancraig.co.uk
NOO! There's nothing to 'run'.
Follow the install instructions on Alex's site.

Then the plugin becomes available the next time you run FCPX.

Re: just want to add brightness on a clip thats been shot almost in zero light 26 Apr 2012 20:21 #7676

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 84
foteinakos wrote:
hello duncan.i dont have color in my effects..is it a plugin?and how do i install it in my fcp x?

In the video inspector of FCPX, click the show correction arrow and this will bring up the color board where you can adjust color, saturation and exposure of a clip. This is built in to FCPX so no plugin required. There are other plugins as mentioned but it sounds like the color board will do what you are asking.

ColorBoardFCPX.png
Creating history....one edit at a time !

Re: just want to add brightness on a clip thats been shot almost in zero light 26 Apr 2012 21:16 #7680

• Duncan Craig
  • Senior Boarder
  • duncancraig.co.uk
For seriously underexposed shots 'Levels' is very good, and I'd say much better than the colour corrector. I can't say how/why, but it's offseting the video signals in such a way as to keep darker areas dark, and colours more realistic.

Try it on a normally exposed shot, blow it out using both methods. The levels method is much more controllable as it's only one fader, and for me it's the tool of choice.
Levels as a whole are an amazing plugin for fixing very bad white balances, like daylight to tungsten etc. Of course this is with the Nattress filter I bought for FCP6. I'm still waiting to use FCPX on a paid gig.

The exposure control fader in FCPX is poor, nothing like it's counterpart in photoshop which seems to act true to it's name.

YMMV

Cheers, Duncan.