Login With Facebook
  • Page:

TOPIC: Workflow Opinions From FCP 7 to FCP X

Workflow Opinions From FCP 7 to FCP X 03 May 2012 01:22 #7914

• sedvideo
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
Question for the forum folks.
I have a project coming up in the next few weeks that I know exactly how I'd organize in FCP 7 or Adobe Premiere Pro. Its a dance recital comprising of an afternoon and an evening session. Shooting three cameras, one with a sound feed from the board. Each session will consist of about 30 performances. In FCP7, I'd edit each performance in its own sequence, make a master sequence for the afternoon, and one for the evening. Then I'd nest each performance sequence into the master sequence, make timeline/chapter markers at each edit point, export with chapter markers, and do the authoring in DVD Studio Pro. Pretty straightforward process in my mind, done it numerous times.
My question is, and what I'm looking for opinions on, is how this process would be done in FCP X. Given that it does not have the same sequence paradigm, what are the equivalents in this new software and way of editing and project management? Also, no timeline/chapter marker support, and technically speaking, Studio Pro is a dead app. Yes, I'll probably still end up using it, but what other options are Apple giving us?
My thought is that I would just use one Project (aka sequence) for the afternoon session, and one for the evening session. Sync the three camera shots up for each performance, and lay in the compound clip to the project/storyline. The problem I have with this, and it is admittedly my own particular way of editing, is that the project/sequence will just get exceedingly long and unwieldy to navigate.
I just want to make sure I'm not missing some aspect of the application and its new way of organizing and media management that would make the project function just fine. Any thoughts on translating a workflow for a project like this from FCP 7 to X would be welcome and appreciated!

BM
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Workflow Opinions From FCP 7 to FCP X 03 May 2012 02:35 #7920

• Tom Wolsky
  • ( User )
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 234
I would do it the way you did it in legacy versions. One event for the production. Edit in separate, shorter projects. Cut and paste either the contents or compound clips into a master project for afternoon and for evening.

Re: Workflow Opinions From FCP 7 to FCP X 03 May 2012 02:41 #7921

• sedvideo
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
Copy Paste is a really great idea. Totally makes sense. Any thoughts on the chapter marker thing? Is that something that I'm just probably going to have to take care of in DVDSP?
Thanks for the reply. I'd like to make it work in this software, just want to get some further thoughts on it.

Re: Workflow Opinions From FCP 7 to FCP X 03 May 2012 05:08 #7929

• Tom Wolsky
  • ( User )
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 234

Re: Workflow Opinions From FCP 7 to FCP X 03 May 2012 06:34 #7931

• sedvideo
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
Looks interesting. Thanks :)

Re: Workflow Opinions From FCP 7 to FCP X 04 May 2012 19:24 #7983

• BenB
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 598
I create Compound Clips in the Event, Group them there for each segment. Then assemble them into a Project once it's locked down and ready for output. Helps with organization.

Nice find, Tom! I'm going to have to test that marker utility out.

Re: Workflow Opinions From FCP 7 to FCP X 04 May 2012 22:43 #7999

• sedvideo
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
Another great idea that makes total sense.
Thank you!

bm
  • Page: