Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Template Creation Question

Template Creation Question 16 May 2012 23:08 #8561

• TrixTrax9000
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 142
The knowledge pool of the gurus that frequent this site is most impressive. I'm hoping one of you can help me.
Please tell me how to create a specific type effect in FCPX.

Having just spent some time in Motion, trying to create this FCPX title effect, & unable to do so, I've come here.

What I'd like to do is create a Motion Template I can use repeatedly. Imagine a medium shot of someone talking in front something like a car or building (not a green screen). Then a giant word or series of words, move across the screen from right to left, but they pass behind him yet in front of the background image. Creating a sense of depth or 3D. My idea was to create the words (bold type font like Machine or Futura, the height of the letters almost the height of the screen. Place a mask around the guy talking (he's not moving from side to side), then slide the words across with an animation. Save it as a template, I could tweak the mask as needed, adjust fonts & colors, speed of the word slide, things like that. I wanted to call it Tokyo Drift, then share it here with everyone...

Alas, that was my plan, but my technical know-how fell woefully short of my aspirations.

Perhaps someone here can tell me how to do it, please?

thank you

Actually, I'm sure some of you guys are so proficient in FCPX & Motion, you probably cranked the template out faster than it took me to type this. If so, please show us...

thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Template Creation Question 17 May 2012 10:33 #8581

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 769
Because of the moving subject, and the drastic differences in body shapes, movements, sizes, etc, from one video clip to another, I highly doubt you'd make a "template" for this specific effect.

The mask, placement of text, font, etc, will all need to be customized to match the overall motion graphic scheme of the video as a whole.

I explain this in my Crafting Effects for FCPX video training. Motion graphics elements being use to tell a story, not to be "cool".

But this effect has been done often, and is easy to do in Motion, on a per clip basis.

Re: Template Creation Question 17 May 2012 14:21 #8588

• TrixTrax9000
  • Platinum Boarder
ok thank you
any links, so I can learn how to do it?
(or a link to your (Crafting Effects for FCPX video training" you mention)
or even just tell me what it's called, so I can search for it in youtube?

thanks again

Re: Template Creation Question 30 May 2012 13:26 #8990

• TrixTrax9000
  • Platinum Boarder
Sorry if I misunderstood when I assumed this was a place for asking questions. After a week, over 300 views & the only response, is "oh that's so easy & played out." Yet not a single hint on how to do it. Please just tell me what it's called, so I can search for it on youtube or somewhere where people are helpful.

Thank you

Re: Template Creation Question 30 May 2012 20:26 #9003

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
It can't be done as a template for repeated use. Each subject will need a custom matte drawn around them. If the subject moves at all the custom matte shape will have to be manually keyframed.

Ripple Trianing (.com) and macProVideo (.com) both have the best Motion training courses around. Ripple Training is hands on.
Last Edit: 30 May 2012 20:27 by BenB.

Re: Template Creation Question 31 May 2012 04:54 #9037

• TrixTrax9000
  • Platinum Boarder
Alright thanks.
I tried to allude to the idea of a medium shot of someone talking, centered in the frame, the only thing moving is their mouth & eyes. So I figured a basic template could work on different shots, with the edge of the mask slightly tweaked or feathered, thus interchangeable with different shots.

I have some Motion training videos, including 2 from Ripple. They cover a bunch of topics but not this effect...

is there a name for this effect?
thanks again

Re: Template Creation Question 31 May 2012 05:33 #9045

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
Yes, it's a simple Mask or Matte effect. But, you can't build a Motion template that will allow you to tweak the mask shape, as far as I'm aware, that will translate into an FCP X template. Maybe someone else has figured out a solution.

A 4 or 8 point garbage matte is what you want.

Re: Template Creation Question 31 May 2012 14:17 #9052

• TrixTrax9000
  • Platinum Boarder
Oh, ok... I was hoping maybe the 8 point garbage matte could retain its points edibility.
Thanks again...

Re: Template Creation Question 31 May 2012 19:29 #9069

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
There are garbage mattes someone made in the free templates section here that would work for you.