Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: WWDC 2012

Re: WWDC 2012 13 Jun 2012 02:59 #9677

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 770
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/12/apple-spokesperson-confirms-new-mac-pro-and-imac-designs-likely-coming-in-2013/

There you go, from the horses mouth. Now folks can move forward in what ever directly they personally chose to. I have work to do, bills to pay, and there's an unopened bottle of sour mash whiskey waiting for me. My world hasn't fallen apart yet.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: WWDC 2012 13 Jun 2012 03:16 #9682

• mobiletaylor
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
This was a conference for developers. I'm not sure we should have expected to see new hardware like desktops. The only reason they talked about laptops is because the developers need to get ready for the retina display.

Re: WWDC 2012 13 Jun 2012 03:50 #9686

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
mobie, I couldn't have clarified it better myself. WWDC has always been about mobile hardware and OS X. I think this was the first time they even mentioned FCP in a WWDC keynote. And then only to let us know the update that day was only to make it work with a retina display.

But, I did expect to see a new MacPro later this summer. Who knows? At least we know they have decided to re-design one.

And yes, the server grade Ivy CPUs are not shipping yet as far as I am aware. "Announced", but not shipping. Even PC manufactures are still waiting.

But it would be nice to see a MP soon. More important to me personally, is more powerful GPU's in MBPs.

Re: WWDC 2012 13 Jun 2012 06:55 #9701

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 85
randychesbro wrote:
Whats your mp running at?

If you are asking me this question my MP processors are at 2.93GHZ.
Creating history....one edit at a time !

Re: WWDC 2012 13 Jun 2012 06:59 #9703

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
BenB wrote:
Each core is hardly being touched there. Is the speed in the 12 cores, or in the SSD drives? I'd bet you're getting more speed out of the SSD drives than the cores.

I should have snapped the screen grab when there was more activity. Also, only FCPX with a 720p project was running. With Motion going at the same time those 12 cores jump quite a bit. Not sure how you relate speed from SSD's to processor speed but maybe you're making the point that the processor activity is lower because the drives are handling the video bandwidth???

Re: WWDC 2012 13 Jun 2012 07:53 #9706

• Seanus
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Sean Lander - Rednail Media
  • Thank you received: 69
Here's a screen grab playing native CS300 files that are keyed over a motion background with a lens flare on top. Nothing rendered.

Machine is an 2007 8 Core 3.0 with 12GB ram and SATA Drives. I'm impressed with this.

TestCPU.jpg
Sean Lander - Editing since 1982 - AVID 1991 - FCP 1999 - FCPX 2011

Re: WWDC 2012 13 Jun 2012 08:21 #9708

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Seanus, that's very similar to my set up. What GPU? I'm running 16GB RAM. Yep, I've never had a CPU "peak" or even "strain". So I wonder if more than 8 cores really improves performance or not.

I know from my IT engineering past with national and international systems that multi-cores reach a point of diminished returns. I've seen where so many cores are doing so little, it actually has no improved performance. Not saying 12 cores are not good, nor better. I'm just wondering about real, solid data.

If 8 cores never peak, I wonder if more cores really do anything more efficiently.

I know SDD / T'bolt drives increase performance for FCPX / Motion a great deal, as does more RAM and better GPUs. Those scenarios I've tested first hand.

But 12 vs 8 cores, I'd love to be able to test equally and find out where FCPX and Motion reach their diminished returns on multiple CPUs. Ever app has it's limit, wondering what these apps limits are.

Thanks tons again Seanus, great info to see. In RL, are you seeing any of those cores reach 3/4 or more usage? Or are they just hitting an average 50 percent as the screen capture looks like?
Last Edit: 13 Jun 2012 08:22 by BenB.

Re: WWDC 2012 13 Jun 2012 11:19 #9716

• Seanus
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Sean Lander - Rednail Media
  • Thank you received: 69
Yes that's right Ben about half way up, the only time they max out is when I'm exporting to something like an H.264 preview movie.

The GPU I upgraded to the ATi 5770. with 1GB of VRAM running two 1920 x 1200 Monitors.
Sean Lander - Editing since 1982 - AVID 1991 - FCP 1999 - FCPX 2011

Re: WWDC 2012 13 Jun 2012 14:12 #9719

• Scrubelicious
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 67
BenB wrote:
I think this was the first time they even mentioned FCP in a WWDC keynote.

No they have mention it before during previous Keynotes.

Funny how they are taking allot of the load of the CPU and putting it on the GPU since we are getting more CPU power then before.

Re: WWDC 2012 13 Jun 2012 17:00 #9724

• Tom Wolsky
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 329
Is it the first times it's appeared in a television ad?

Re: WWDC 2012 13 Jun 2012 18:02 #9726

Disappointed that there was no new iMac. However, It's pretty clear, to me at least, that with the new MBP, Apple is going all Retina across its product line of devices with screens.
The iPhone, iPod, iPad and now MBP have Retina displays. With FCP X and Aperture (one has to presume Logic X as well soon) being updated for the MacBook Pro Retina Display, 27 inch Retina Displays have to be coming sooner or later, which means the iMac and the Cinema Display will need to go Retina along with a Mac Pro to connect it to. I'm guessing that you'll see 4K on a screen like that. An easy sell to content creators. An iMac to iO XT and from there to anything, is what I'm thinking.

Re: WWDC 2012 13 Jun 2012 20:52 #9740

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
When was FCP mentioned at a WWDC keynote before?

Re: WWDC 2012 13 Jun 2012 22:40 #9756

• fcpguru
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
Fairly sure the only speed bump you get with multiple cores is upon output and rendering. I'd like to see where your activity monitor is at not with playback, but with rendering and using compressor (exporting an h.264 for Vimeo for example). I think that is where you see the speed increase.

For day to day stuff, it's all about the graphics card and the speed of the drives.

FCPX is installed on my iMac's internal SSD and all my footage is on a TBolt RAID. I have a 2GB ATI graphics card (the 6970 i think?) and it's damn snappy.

Re: WWDC 2012 14 Jun 2012 01:14 #9767

• Scrubelicious
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 67
BenB wrote:
When was FCP mentioned at a WWDC keynote before?

You really going to ask that? :P
If I can recall it was mentioned in 2003 and then ether 2004 or 2005 when the Suite or Studio came out.

Re: WWDC 2012 14 Jun 2012 08:52 #9785

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
fcpguru wrote:
Fairly sure the only speed bump you get with multiple cores is upon output and rendering. I'd like to see where your activity monitor is at not with playback, but with rendering and using compressor (exporting an h.264 for Vimeo for example). I think that is where you see the speed increase.

For day to day stuff, it's all about the graphics card and the speed of the drives.

Yeah, I agree with you. I was just posting that all 12 cores actually do fire based on what someone asked me. But rendering and output AND running simultaneous apps is where it's at. Here is a screenshot of 12 cores rocking' plus 12 virtual cores swinging along on a heavy effects render in fcpx of a heavily layered clip. AND ... never using proxy, always using HIGH QUALITY PLAYBACK, using original P2 HD media, showing all waveforms, etc., etc.

12Cores12Virtual.png

Re: WWDC 2012 14 Jun 2012 08:53 #9786

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
12Cores12Virtual_2012-06-13.png
fcpguru wrote:

Yeah, I agree with you. I was just posting that all 12 cores actually do fire based on what someone asked me. But rendering and output AND running simultaneous apps is where it's at. Here is a screenshot of 12 cores rocking' plus 12 virtual cores swinging along on a heavy effects render in fcpx of a heavily layered clip. AND ... never using proxy, always using HIGH QUALITY PLAYBACK, using original P2 HD media, showing all waveforms, etc., etc.

12Cores12Virtual_2012-06-13.png
Last Edit: 14 Jun 2012 08:57 by dgwvideo.

Re: WWDC 2012 14 Jun 2012 09:06 #9788

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
Is that AVCHD or DVCPRO-HD from the P2?

Re: WWDC 2012 14 Jun 2012 21:13 #9818

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
BenB wrote:
Is that AVCHD or DVCPRO-HD from the P2?

The footage is DVCPRO-HD 720p 30PN in this particular project. Wish I could show you the screenshot.

Re: WWDC 2012 14 Jun 2012 21:46 #9820

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
DVCPRO-HD P2 is all I-Frame. We used to use this exclusively and I love the codec. Very easy for FCP any version to work with.

AVCHD P2 is Long-GOP.
  • Page: