Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How to crop in 4k clips on faces?

How to crop in 4k clips on faces? 07 Jun 2019 10:22 #100143

I see on TV some massive crop ins wide to close up on talent's face.

Am I too assume TV use 5k - 8k Cameras.

If I am using 4k clips how close can I clip into in crop and get away with it for YT.

I usually crop in to remove errors or improve framing but I'd like to experiment - Normally there is a way of looking at numberrs somewhere to check the amount zoomed in when cropped - but I cannot find it and I am not sure how to do it anyway :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How to crop in 4k clips on faces? 07 Jun 2019 12:13 #100148

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 341
I work in television, we're all using 4K. Well, you'd be surprised how many stations still use HD. And yes, I've zoomed in 200 percent with 4K. The biggest issue is focus. 4K looks fine until you zoom way in, then even the slightest focus issue shows up HUGE! So be sure you're shots are in PERFECT focus for doing this with 4K. Also, zooming in with 4K requires lighting be absolutely adequate, as noise gets introduced fast otherwise. And a lot depends on the camera, the lens being used, and the coded the camera records to. Milage varies. Here's an example using my son Brian, shot 4K on an iPhone Xs, edited in a 1080 timeline. On the left is the shot at 50% and on the right at 200%. The Spacial Conform is set to None. The quality of this image suffers from being saved out as JPEG and uploading it here, but you get the point.

4KExample.jpg
Last Edit: 07 Jun 2019 12:14 by FCPX.guru.

How to crop in 4k clips on faces? 07 Jun 2019 12:42 #100150

Mate that is EXACTLY what I want... what a brilliant example.

Yes that camera is prob better than mine. Mines a G7 lens.

So I need to downgrade to garner quality I assume - yes I do upload to 4k to YT jus cause I think it helps with views - but maybe it it does not at all.... and so what - people watch on their tablets.

Maybe I should downscale - use my tight crops and experiment to see if I get the right result?

Not sure why one has to down grade to achieve this but I think you have explained it between the lines. Downgrading 4k creates mass resolution allowing less loss on crop???

How to crop in 4k clips on faces? 08 Jun 2019 04:58 #100155

… that 'lossless zoom-in' comes handy additionally for faking multi-cam-angles…

www.fcp.co/forum/4-final-cut-pro-x-fcpx/...lticam-faking-angels

How to crop in 4k clips on faces? 08 Jun 2019 12:36 #100159

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
Yes, you can only to the fake-zoom with 4K+ video in a 1080 or 720 timeline. Place all your clips in your timeline for your rough edit. Select All, set Spacial Conform to None and set Scale to 50. Then go start refining your edit and crating your close-ups.

How to crop in 4k clips on faces? 08 Jun 2019 14:36 #100162

ooo these are helpful.

I think I might just do it one at a time. As there are abount 200 clips in each film and only around 12 of them are presenter / talent so those are all I need to zoom - with the odd exception.

So

1. Import
2. Select all
3. Make proxy - transcode
4. Wait
5. Select 1 4k clip drag to timeline
6. Check the project is in 1080p on the right hand side
7. Check my clip properties remain 4k
8. I am golden.

Fake zoom crop party?

How to crop in 4k clips on faces? 08 Jun 2019 14:42 #100163

Ah also it needs to be portable :) hence no raid for me.

How to crop in 4k clips on faces? 08 Jun 2019 17:08 #100164

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
Two drive portable RAIDS are all over the place. A single drive 7200rpm drive would help also with USB 3 or T'bolt.