TOPIC: Concerned that the new Retina Macbook Pro is faulty

Concerned that the new Retina Macbook Pro is faulty 12 Dec 2013 16:10 #35720

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • I am in Durban, safe and warm...
  • Thank you received: 46
:(
Hi everyone,

As the heading says, I think my brand new Retina 13 inch Macbook Pro is faulty, when it comes to basic editing, not using any effects, a 4 camera multi-cam clip editing exercise from the PeachPit series, it really struggles.

Issues I have had are, the laptop reporting the onboard keyboard is incorrect, to crashes, to beachballing, to multiple issues in regards not playing back video.

I have tried optimized clips, proxy clips and still errors in play back, pressing play on the keyboard and there is a very short pause before playback, other errors such as the thumb-nails on the Primary storyline suddenly not being displayed, blank tiles in place.

I do not use this laptop for any other function other than editing and troubleshooting as to why this seems to be slower and severly underpowered when I compare it to my previous MacBook Pro from 2006 or 2007.

I have posted this issue on the FCP X feedback page.

Ingesting simple DV seems to be a huge burden, crashed 3 times whilst ingesting, as to why it creates 5 clips when the tape I am ingesting is a single 59 clip makes no sense to me, when I append the clips onto the timeline, there are breaks in the video and audio, yet the mini-dv tape is 59 minutes single take.

Not sure what I should do, accept this as normal or return the laptop to the istore?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Concerned that the new Retina Macbook Pro is faulty 12 Dec 2013 17:01 #35725

• Russ Haskell
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
MsJustine wrote:
:(

Not sure what I should do, accept this as normal or return the laptop to the istore?

Since the machine is so new, I'm going to assume you have plenty of free space on your start-up disk. But check.

Is FCP the only thing application that isn't responding the way you think it should?

If so, it wouldn't be a bad idea to run [url=http://http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14291]Apple Diagnostics (or Apple Hardware Test) [/url]

And since MBP is brand new, you're entitled to Applecare telephone support – even if you didn't purchase the coverage – which you may want to take advantage of before returning it.

A four angle multicam would be a stretch for that model MBP and it's not that surprising that it's lagging, etc. If you have your projects and events on the start-up disk, it is especially burdensome. If everything is on the start-up disk, and you have an external drive (say, USB3( move the projects and events to it and see whether the performance improves. With four streams, you will probably need proxies.

Russ

Concerned that the new Retina Macbook Pro is faulty 13 Dec 2013 13:06 #35797

• MsJustine
  • Banned
For some reason, the hard drive is now 50% used, with what is listed as other.n Not sure what this is, I have deleted all video files from the hard drive. The only thing I can think is drop box, but not 53 GB worth.

I did the hardware test, which reported no errors.

What is more confusing for me is that FCP X is creating 2 folders on the onboard SSD, in the movies folder for FCP X, I cannot see how to inhibit this from occuring.

Apart from countless crashes, not seeing my firewire DV camera and 5 hour transcoding, the laptop seems ok
Justine

Concerned that the new Retina Macbook Pro is faulty 13 Dec 2013 14:47 #35811

• Russ Haskell
  • Gold Boarder
MsJustine wrote:
For some reason, the hard drive is now 50% used, with what is listed as other.

What is more confusing for me is that FCP X is creating 2 folders on the onboard SSD, in the movies folder for FCP X, I cannot see how to inhibit this from occuring.

Apart from countless crashes, not seeing my firewire DV camera and 5 hour transcoding, the laptop seems ok
Justine

Do you run Time Machine? Depending on how your TM preferences are set, the space possibly could be back-ups.

What are the folders that FCPX is creating in Movies? Event and project folders or something else? Again, the performance is likely to be improved by storing your projects and events on a good external drive.

If a Mini DV camcorder is to be connected to a modern MBP, a FW to Tb adaptor is required and those adaptors are not always reliable. Take a look in the System Profiler to see whether the camera is recognized. If not, possibly substitute another adaptor. Check the integrity of cable and the camera FW port by connecting to another computer that has a FW port.

Russ

Concerned that the new Retina Macbook Pro is faulty 13 Dec 2013 15:01 #35818

• MsJustine
  • Banned
Time Machine: NO, never really saw any use to it.
Only three files created, Projects, Events and a Motion folder, I don not have Motion.

System Profiler, reports the HD Facetime camera and the thunderbolt adapter, brand new cable, 3rd camera to fail on me?? um Not sure on the camera, I have only the mini-dv camera at this point.

That is a very sensible idea, and I will do it tomorrow, shops closed now. With the cost of equipment here through the roof, I am hoping it is not my camera...I suspect the laptop is the guilty party.

Concerned that the new Retina Macbook Pro is faulty 13 Dec 2013 15:04 #35820

A couple of basic questions-

1. Are you keeping Project/Event folder on your internal HD.

2. If you're using an external HD, what kind is it? USB2 or USB3/Firewire/Thunderbolt?

Concerned that the new Retina Macbook Pro is faulty 13 Dec 2013 15:09 #35821

• MsJustine
  • Banned
I have noticed that after I delete the 3 folders from the internal 128 GB SSD on the rMBP, when I launch FCP X, 3 NEW FOLDERS ARE CREATED, GRRH.

2. If you're using an external HD, what kind is it? USB2 or USB3/Firewire/Thunderbolt?
YES, EXTERNAL HDD

Available: 994,63 GB (994 633 080 832 bytes)
Capacity: 1 TB (1 000 204 853 248 bytes)
Mount Point: /Volumes/1TB video drive
File System: Journaled HFS+
Writable: Yes
Ignore Ownership: Yes
BSD Name: disk1s1
Volume UUID: FBF2EF8A-F5C9-32C0-933D-2EFDAC1DBCB0
Physical Drive:
Media Name: WDC WD10 JPVT-00A1YT0 Media
Protocol: USB
Internal: No
Partition Map Type: MBR (Master Boot Record)
S.M.A.R.T. Status: Not Supported

Concerned that the new Retina Macbook Pro is faulty 13 Dec 2013 15:17 #35823

1. It doesn't matter if FCPX creates Project and Event folders on your internal HD. I've got them here on mine. As long as you don't import any material into them, they take up zero space. So it's not an issue.

2. If the external drive you're using is USB2, then it's going to be insufficient for multi-cam. The data transfer rates are just too slow. This could be causing the crashing while digitizing as well.

Regarding all the other machine issues you seem to be having, if they're persistent and repeatable, then book a genius bar appointment and take the machine in. You'll waste way more time trying to problem solve it remotely- and it's obviously hampering your ability to work. If there is a bigger issue with your machine you need to find out now.
Last Edit: 13 Dec 2013 15:17 by Disproportionate Pictures.

Concerned that the new Retina Macbook Pro is faulty 13 Dec 2013 15:44 #35831

• Russ Haskell
  • Gold Boarder
MsJustine wrote:
I have noticed that after I delete the 3 folders from the internal 128 GB SSD on the rMBP, when I launch FCP X, 3 NEW FOLDERS ARE CREATED, GRRH.

YES, EXTERNAL HDD

Available: 994,63 GB (994 633 080 832 bytes)
Capacity: 1 TB (1 000 204 853 248 bytes)
Mount Point: /Volumes/1TB video drive
File System: Journaled HFS+
Writable: Yes
Ignore Ownership: Yes
BSD Name: disk1s1
Volume UUID: FBF2EF8A-F5C9-32C0-933D-2EFDAC1DBCB0
Physical Drive:
Media Name: WDC WD10 JPVT-00A1YT0 Media
Protocol: USB
Internal: No
Partition Map Type: MBR (Master Boot Record)
S.M.A.R.T. Status: Not Supported

It appears as though this external drive is empty. That is where you should be creating your new events and projects. Except what DP said…if it's USB2, you won't be at all happy with the performance – whether it's a single stream or four streams.

Also, just to say that if the Motion file on your SSD in Movies is Motion Templates, those are effects for FCP, which you would not want to delete.

Russ