Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Why is my Hard Disk filling up when I copy FCPX projects and events from one ext drive to another?

Why is my Hard Disk filling up when I copy FCPX projects and events from one ext drive to another? 13 Dec 2013 11:04 #35788

• Feral Media
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi all,

I just wonder if anyone can tell me why when I am copying events and projects between folders and external hard drives why my Macs Hard Disk fills up and freezes my computer? Like today for example, I'm copying projects and events from one external hard disk to another from within FCPX and my hard disk has filled up? Ive set it to write only to my external drives so can't see why tis is happening. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks,

Robin
Last Edit: 13 Dec 2013 14:10 by Feral Media.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Why is my Hard Disk filling up when I copy projects from one ext drive to another? 13 Dec 2013 14:05 #35800

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • I am in Durban, safe and warm...
  • Thank you received: 46
I have noticed the same on my laptop, the "other" folder is 53GB aout of a total of 121GB, there is nothing on the laptop to cause a 50 GB bite like that, no email, nothing, only a dropbox account, and itunes, but I play through itunes off my ipad.
Justine

Why is my Hard Disk filling up when I copy projects from one ext drive to another? 13 Dec 2013 14:09 #35802

• Feral Media
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks for the response but are you talking generally or from within Final Cut Pro X? As that is where I am having the problem. Thanks

Why is my Hard Disk filling up when I copy projects from one ext drive to another? 13 Dec 2013 14:12 #35804

• MsJustine
  • Banned
My rMBP is used for editing only, as to why a brand new laptop has over 50% hard drive lost to the "other" folder is a mystery and Google is no help, I suspect Mavericks is really wasteful with hard drive space, hiding items with the "other" label. grrrh
Justine

Why is my Hard Disk filling up when I copy FCPX projects and events from one ext drive to another? 14 Dec 2013 06:50 #35891

• marchyman
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 43
What does the storage info tell you?

Apple menu -> About This Mac -> More Info... -> click on the Storage tab

Why is my Hard Disk filling up when I copy FCPX projects and events from one ext drive to another? 14 Dec 2013 06:58 #35893

• MsJustine
  • Banned
It just says other in yellow 53GB, I have no idea what is taking up 53GB, there are no files, such as video files on the hard drive that could justify 53GB, which almost 60% of the hard drive. I suspect it is Mavericks playing silly buggers, like iOS 7 does with the ipad.
Justine

Why is my Hard Disk filling up when I copy FCPX projects and events from one ext drive to another? 15 Dec 2013 00:24 #35923

• marchyman
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 43
Other. See www.techrepublic.com/blog/apple-in-the-e...ata-in-os-x-and-ios/ on tracking down and killing "other" files.

Cache files, spotlight database, swap space, etc. all go into other.

120 GB is not enough disk in my opinion. My "other" is 120 GB by itself. I don't much care as I've got over a TB on my system disk which is less than 1/2 full.

Why is my Hard Disk filling up when I copy FCPX projects and events from one ext drive to another? 15 Dec 2013 10:24 #35939

• jjsanderson
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
At the moment, duplicating a project within FCPX can spin a huge amount of swap space, particularly if you include render files. With a complex project (a few hundred clips, say), swap can grow to tens of Gbs. I don't think it's meant to behave like this. Roll on 10.1.

In the meantime: is it possible that your missing disk space is swap?

Why is my Hard Disk filling up when I copy FCPX projects and events from one ext drive to another? 15 Dec 2013 10:47 #35943

• MsJustine
  • Banned
I would have thought the same, but something tells me that is not really a valid argument, of course Apple will not come out in public and make any claims or to correct the incorrect beliefs.

I suspect that it is a function of the operating system and the nature of the way SSD works, it seems that the issue is the same whether it is an iPad or a Mac laptop, the ability to purge the "other" folder has never truly been addressed by Apple.

There are apps in the app store that help, yet this is a superficial top layer effort, it concerns me greatly that no one in the Apple universe of users is making a huge "fuss" about the issues in regards the wasting of Hard Drive Space.

I wonder if this would be a huge issue if there was no SSD, if we still used 5600 or 7200 rpm drives?

I doubt 10.1 will solve any issues, from the feedback I have had via the feedback system at Apple, I am concerned that no one is paying much attention to storage issues in regard flash devices, the ipad has zero expansion options, the Mac has 4 options when it comes to expansion of storage media, 2 lightning or thunderbolt ports and 2 USB2.0/3.0 ports. That it takes a huge wad of cash to install after purchase the required 12GB RAM, and here in Africa to purchase if available the top of the range T-Bolt external drives, just to do a simple 2 multi-cam clip edit.

If my laptop was not meant to run FCP X with 4 GB of RAM, then don't sell it to me with less than the max, I suspect I have wasted my cash, as the brand new 2013 rMBP is useless as it cannot handle a simple quicktime screen record without choking to death and having a seizure in the fans....
Last Edit: 15 Dec 2013 10:52 by MsJustine.

Why is my Hard Disk filling up when I copy FCPX projects and events from one ext drive to another? 16 Dec 2013 07:10 #36033

• Scrubelicious
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 108
If I look at my dedicated mobile editing/dit laptop.. it uses approx. 170GB just got standard data, applications and system files.
Can you located where your drive is filling yup like in the Final Cut Events...?

There is a nice little application called DaisyDisk. Give it a try, there should be free trial version on there site.