Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Fan Noise on Retina 15" vs older 17" MBP

Fan Noise on Retina 15" vs older 17" MBP 04 Mar 2014 10:31 #42029

• Dave_EP
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37
I currently have the last of the 17" MacBookPro models, 2.5Ghz i7 with 16GB of ram.

The only problem I have with it is the noise of the fan as soon as FCPX is asked to do something remotely intensive, which can be really annoying if you're trying to edit some audio.

I understand Apple made big claims about how quiet the asynchronous fan was on the retina, but I'd be interested to hear what the real world noise is like, especially with FCPX running.

Is it really 'that' much quieter?

Since I'm looking for a new machine, the Retina has to be at least considered, but if it's still pretty noisy then I'll just skip it.
Last Edit: 04 Mar 2014 10:32 by Dave_EP.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Fan Noise on Retina 15" vs older 17" MBP 19 May 2014 18:19 #46258

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1279
I've had both, and the older MBP was a very loud fan. The new rMBP is a much quieter fan, but you still hear it without issue. And it won't kick in as easily. It is not silent, by any means. But a bit quieter, but still there, just not as much.

Fan Noise on Retina 15" vs older 17" MBP 19 May 2014 22:23 #46274

• simonpwood
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 44
I have one of the last Lapzillas too! I wish Apple would bring them back.

Anyway, my one sounded like a jet turbine. I opened it up and cleaned the fans and vents; there was an incredible amount of dust inside it. That made a big difference ( the fan is less likely to go into jet mode these days).

Fan Noise on Retina 15" vs older 17" MBP 31 May 2014 16:24 #47047

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185
Dave,
I agree with both Ben and Simon. The nMBPs fan is very quite in comparison to older models, but it is not "silent" under load. Under normal loads it is hard to hear it.
I have recorded sound using a USB mic in close proximity to the computer without fan noise bleeding in. Something I cannot do with my MacPro.
As Simon says, dust build up will increase the noise and vibration of the fan. I'm about to take my rMBP into Apple to have them clean it, still under extended warranty. I routinely clean my MP every 4 months or so with a major take apart every couple of years, including pulling the CPU coolers. Each time I do this, internal temps go way down and fan speed decreases.
Hope this helps, Greg