Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Configuration of MacBook Pro with Retina Display for FCPX

Configuration of MacBook Pro with Retina Display for FCPX 19 Jun 2014 08:10 #48123

I'm buying a Retina MacBook Pro for starting college in the fall, I'll be majoring in film/video production and the school I'm going to uses Final Cut Pro X for editing. I'm new to FCPX so I was wondering if I could get some advice on the configuration of my computer. I've read that FCP can use quite a bit of RAM so I'm debating upgrading the MacBook to 16gb of RAM. The configuration would be a 2.6GHz i5 processor, 16gb of RAM, and a 512gb SSD in the 13 inch model. I guess my question is should I upgrade to the 16gb of RAM or will I be okay with 8gb? I'm a little hesitant to pay $1,991.74 for a computer, I'd like to keep the cost down while still being able to run FCP efficiently. Maybe that's an unrealistic stipulation, but if I need to I can afford the memory upgrade. I know that the 15 inch model with the dedicated graphics card is the best way to go but I definitely can't afford that. Any advice on the subject, or advice on other things I haven't thought of and should consider in configuring the computer would be greatly appreciated.
Last Edit: 19 Jun 2014 08:11 by connorhawkins.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Configuration of MacBook Pro with Retina Display for FCPX 19 Jun 2014 10:39 #48132

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1279
Upgrade the RAM for sure, you'll be glad you did. Remember, this puppy has to last you for 4+ years. Not to mention the work outside of school you'll eventually pick up.

Configuration of MacBook Pro with Retina Display for FCPX 23 Jun 2014 16:46 #48294

• Mikch
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Be sure to look at the Apple Refurbished Page. These come directly from Apple with the same warranty, and you can get them on AppleCare. I just purchased a late 2013 15" Retina MacBook Pro i7 2.3 with 16GB/512GB Flash with the Intel Iris Pro Graphics and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M for a little over $2000 with tax. Apple's Refirb. is really a great deal! I saved over $500. off the retail price.

Here is a link to the page,
store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/15
I'd like to change the world, but they won't give me the source code!
Last Edit: 23 Jun 2014 16:54 by Mikch.