Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 13 vs 15 inch, would love some help!

13 vs 15 inch, would love some help! 15 Dec 2014 18:58 #57397

• dionsyia
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello!

I would really very much appreciate any tips/insights/opinions from anyone using either of these computers or has some advice!

I am trying to choose between buying the MacBook Pro "13-inch: 2,6-GHz Retina-display" and the "15-inch: 2,2-GHz Retina-display", mostly for working with resolume avenue and final cut pro, and I'm no computer expert, nor an expert with the programs (specially not (yet) final cut) so I'm finding it very hard to choose.

Just want to note I am fully aware that there are so many better options out there, but in price the 15-inch option is at the moment the most I can spend on it, and only if I feel its really justified for the things I use it for, which is probably less intense than many people here! I also know if I want cheaper and good I should look at non-mac options but I'm stubborn and want another mac for now :P

I got the following advice:

- The difference between the "13-inch 2,6-GHz" and the "13-inch: 2,8-GHz" is not worth 500e, might aswell take the 2,6 then.
- The main difference between the 13 and 15 options is speed. The 15-inch will be significantly faster, and some extras of course like the bigger screen, and more pixels, etc. Those extras though will, in the end, not necessarily improve the output of what I do, only make the use/chillness of using it better. The only difference is you will have to wait longer and everything will be a bit slower.

However, I am doubting that in practice the only thing that makes the 15 better is that I can do everything faster.

Could you guys explain to me, other than improved speed/usability (considering that a luxury), what significant differences there are for the two laptops in using those programs?
Does the 13-inch really hinder use in some way, or is it more a matter of just having some extra patience?

Thanks very much!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

13 vs 15 inch, would love some help! 16 Dec 2014 14:15 #57414

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185
Hi Dion,
Welcome to the FCP.co forums.
This question really belongs in the laptop, MBP section as Mac Pro here means the new cylinder or older tower MP.
As to your questions, there are significant differences between models of MBPs. Assuming here the stock configurations.
The 13" MBP is only a dual core, i5 CPU, with 8GB ram.
The 15"MBP is a quad core, i7 with 16GB ram.
This makes the stock 15" much more powerful for video editing work. I would not recommend less than 16GB ram for FCPX, and the extra cores does improve many operations in FCPX and Motion.
So if you can swing the additional $$ I recommend you go for the 15".
For just general computer work, you will not see much difference, but video work is processor/resource intensive, therefore you need the best computer you can afford.
The extra screen real estate comes in super handy.
Don't forget to budget external hdd's for storing your media and for back-ups.
Hope this helps, Greg
Happy editing :)

13 vs 15 inch, would love some help! 18 Dec 2014 08:11 #57498

• Bobbyco
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
"Could you guys explain to me, other than improved speed/usability (considering that a luxury),"

Speed, and especially usability are not luxuries. If you are self employed, time is your money. If you work for someone else, time is their money. Usability is everything!

Poor performance and usability impacts creativity too.
Most often a cook with good equipment will create a better meal than a chef with bad equipment. And the cook will be happier in the end.

"Does the 13-inch really hinder use in some way, or is it more a matter of just having some extra patience?!"[/quote]

YES.