Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: anyone editing FCPX on the new widescreen LG 34UM95-P?

anyone editing FCPX on the new widescreen LG 34UM95-P? 08 Aug 2014 04:08 #51091

• jvasey
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
What intrigues me about this new LG screen is the ability to get the real estate of two monitors (for editing purposes). But one question I need to ask. We all know that you can tell FCPX to show the Browser on a separate monitor. But for now, you can't tear it off and move it around like a tabbed window.

In the case of the LG widescreen monitor, it comes with software that can effectively divide the screen into two partitions…and I'm wondering if FCPX would recognize that and have it put the Browser there. So that effectively in one section you have an area dedicated to your Browser and list of clips…and the other remaining screen display is devoted to your timeline, etc.

If anyone out there has the new LG screen and has gotten FCPX to put its Browser in a screen partition, how is that working our for you? And when you create the screen partition, is there a resolution hit that comes with it?

Since this is such a new screen I don't expect a great number of responses, but maybe someone can get the ball rolling on this discussion…especially since the LG screen seems to hold such promise for FCPX editors.

Thanks, John
The administrator has disabled public write access.

anyone editing FCPX on the new widescreen LG 34UM95-P? 12 Aug 2014 03:48 #51192

• Direktor
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I am very much interested in the answer to this question as well...

I saw that they had a control panel to send two virtual desktops to the monitor and knew this might be the ticket for a nice clip browser...

anyone editing FCPX on the new widescreen LG 34UM95-P? 20 Aug 2014 14:37 #51546

• jvasey
  • Junior Boarder
Just a further update (until we hear a more accurate response from an owner of this new widescreen display).

As I was researching this display screen on the internet, I did come across a user comment who said the split screen software, where it can divide the LG screen into separate screens, does indeed make separate screens BUT they were not recognized by graphics cards as a "separate screen." If this proves to be the case, then my desire to view the FCPX Browser list on a "second screen" on the LG is probably not in the cards.

But the jury is out until we hear back from someone who has actually tried it. If you could do it, I think this screen would bring a lot of added value to FCPX users.

anyone editing FCPX on the new widescreen LG 34UM95-P? 20 Aug 2014 16:42 #51557

• Direktor
  • Senior Boarder
jvasey wrote:
does indeed make separate screens BUT they were not recognized by graphics cards as a "separate screen."

Well, does it matter if the GFX card knows the truth?

It's more about OS X lying to the programs, yes?

We'll find out soon enough. Unfortunately they're all sold out again though for a little bit.

anyone editing FCPX on the new widescreen LG 34UM95-P? 22 Aug 2014 22:36 #51659

• Direktor
  • Senior Boarder
I'm picking up one tonight, so we'll know the answer soon.

[edit: 8 hours later]

Sad news. The LG "desktop utility" is a sham. All it does is move your windows around for you and keep them square to preset guides.

It does not force OS X to render multiple desktops and feed them to the one monitor.

Now: I just realized there might be one more ray of hope, and that would be to use both thunderbolt and display port inputs on the monitor, and put it in dual display mode. I will try this possibly tomorrow.

I do have to say though, FCPX even in the default config is going to work quite well, I think. I won't be crying if the hack I just thought about does not work.
Last Edit: 23 Aug 2014 06:05 by Direktor.

anyone editing FCPX on the new widescreen LG 34UM95-P? 14 Sep 2014 23:18 #52694

• jvasey
  • Junior Boarder
How did your hack go? Were you able to get 2 screens recognized using Thunderbolt and Displayport? Also, because FCPX has a darker interface, how is the backlight bleed in the lower screen corners? Maybe this was an issue in earlier versions of the panel.

And lastly, what is your experience like of editing on this super wide screen in FCPX?

anyone editing FCPX on the new widescreen LG 34UM95-P? 15 Sep 2014 02:41 #52696

• Direktor
  • Senior Boarder
I never did it. And now I sold my previous monitors so I don't have a miniDP to DP cable around to try it with.

After I learned a little more about the 34UM95, I think I decided that while it would work, the split between the two screens would have been 50-50, which is not really helpful for FCPX

The bin in FCPX with the 34UM is big enough now anyway that I'm not sure I care. That's all I was after, a really big bin, but not so far off to the left as a separate monitor. It's sped up my cutting on this doc project for sure.

anyone editing FCPX on the new widescreen LG 34UM95-P? 15 Sep 2014 05:54 #52697

• plysat
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 67
I just got one as well... running it off an iMac. LG monitor as the timeline/main screen, and the iMac on the left with the biggest browser on earth. :-) It's pretty nice.
Can't sleep? Try this: fcpxpert.net ;-)

anyone editing FCPX on the new widescreen LG 34UM95-P? 03 Dec 2014 01:20 #56808

• jvasey
  • Junior Boarder
A further update -- this one is from myself -- who just recently purchased the LG 34UM95-P in November and wanted to share the experience…

I have had the LG34UM95-P that I purchased from B&H for 2 weeks now and great results. No bleed issues with screen. No dead pixels. And the picture quality is drop dead gorgeous.

I have a legacy Mac Pro 1.1 connected to the LG via the ATI Radeon HD 4870 graphics card...and use an Accel mini-display to DisplayPort 1.2 adaptor cable that preserves the 3440 x 1440 resolution at 60 Hz. My legacy FCP 7 projects are located on this computer.

The second computer connected to the same LG is a new Mac Pro 6.1 connected via TB cable for FCPX projects. Also preserving the same resolution and refresh rate.

I am currently working with the Mavericks OSX and am holding off on upgrading to Yosemite as there are some unresolved display issues...apparently as of this writing, Yosemite won't allow the full resolution 3440 x 1440, and although there is a workaround hack...I expect to see a fix for this very soon in a future Yosemite update.

FCPX works incredibly well with all of this horizontal real estate. And when I am working with Microsoft Word docs, I can spread them across the screen without having to stack them upon each other.

I have not yet calibrated the monitor, but to my eye it looks spot on. Whatever calibration I will do is almost certain to be minimal tweaking.

For the FCPX "AV monitor" out, I have a separate dedicated display screen for that...an HP2475w for regular HD. LG has a new 4K monitor coming out that handles both flavors of 4K...and I will be checking that out as my next possible acquisition for a display screen at a higher resolution.

What I love about this purchase is that both my legacy computer and newer computer feed directly into one display screen...that kind of consolidation makes my life a lot easier and more comfortable! I can toggle between both and take my time as I migrate everything over to the newer computer.

anyone editing FCPX on the new widescreen LG 34UM95-P? 03 Dec 2014 01:28 #56809

• Direktor
  • Senior Boarder
jvasey wrote:
Yosemite won't allow the full resolution 3440 x 1440, and although there is a workaround hack...I expect to see a fix for this very soon in a future Yosemite update.

Working for me at 3440 on Yosemite!

Has been since day 1 of Yosemite, as well...no issues at all.

anyone editing FCPX on the new widescreen LG 34UM95-P? 03 Dec 2014 01:38 #56810

• plysat
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 67
jvasey wrote:
Yosemite won't allow the full resolution 3440 x 1440, and although there is a workaround hack...I expect to see a fix for this very soon in a future Yosemite update.

Works fine for me too...

ScreenShot2014-12-02at5.37.16PM.png
Can't sleep? Try this: fcpxpert.net ;-)
Last Edit: 03 Dec 2014 01:39 by plysat.

anyone editing FCPX on the new widescreen LG 34UM95-P? 04 Dec 2014 16:23 #56920

• jvasey
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks for the last two posts which say you are having success with getting full resolution using Yosemite. A quick question for both…are you getting full res over the Thunderbolt input or the DisplayPort input?

Back in early November I had read several posts on Amazon and the Apple forums about users losing full resolution on the LG display after upgrading to Yosemite (though maybe those issues were related to users not using the proper connectivity…or perhaps a beta of Yosemite)…but both your posts are encouraging that Yosemite will work…and hopefully over Thunderbolt which is my primary way of connecting.

anyone editing FCPX on the new widescreen LG 34UM95-P? 04 Dec 2014 17:27 #56929

• Direktor
  • Senior Boarder
Thunderbolt