Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: read thread about new Mac Pros, OS X 10.10.2 update, and kernel panics with TB2 drives

read thread about new Mac Pros, OS X 10.10.2 update, and kernel panics with TB2 drives 01 Feb 2015 23:43 #59183

• jvasey
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
With the 10.10.2 update for Yosemite, many users of the new Mac Pro, including myself, who are using Thunderbolt 2 drives, are discovering that after the drive is ejected, then powered off...it triggers a kernel panic on the Mac Pro. Previous versions of Yosemite did not have this effect, so evidence may point to something in the 10.10.2 update. Below is a link to a thread started by users experiencing this issue.

So if you do have a new Mac Pro, are thinking of upgrading to 10.10.2 and have TB2 drives, you may want to read this and proceed with caution. I will be sending Apple the crash report of the kernel panic and please be encouraged to also report it to Apple if you experience the same issue.

discussions.apple.com/thread/6800125
The administrator has disabled public write access.

read thread about new Mac Pros, OS X 10.10.2 update, and kernel panics with TB2 drives 02 Feb 2015 03:43 #59187

• Redifer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 73
Interesting. I have a Mac Pro, 10.10.2 and a Thunderbolt drive. I have not experienced this issue but then again I never eject the drive or even let it spin down. Maybe I should try it just to see if I get a Colonel Panic.

How does one even report such a freeze? The computer ceases to function and I doubt it has time to write relevant crash info to a file.

EDIT: I tried this and it did not affect me.
Last Edit: 02 Feb 2015 06:43 by Redifer.

read thread about new Mac Pros, OS X 10.10.2 update, and kernel panics with TB2 drives 02 Feb 2015 13:39 #59193

• Makki
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
This seems to only happen when you eject drives and turn off the power to the disks. I am not eager to find out with my two LaCie Thunderbolt drives, if I have this is issue. I just put my drives to sleep when my Mac goes to sleep. But this can be a serious issue for those who use laptops. This happened after latest Yosemite update and LaCie has confirmed this issue.

read thread about new Mac Pros, OS X 10.10.2 update, and kernel panics with TB2 drives 03 Feb 2015 16:57 #59254

• pollux
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
That kernel panic happens to me too (I am with OWC Thunderbay) after updating to 10.10.2

I have to pull the thunderbolt cable before turning the drive off in order to avoid that frustrating kernel panic.
Last Edit: 03 Feb 2015 16:57 by pollux.

read thread about new Mac Pros, OS X 10.10.2 update, and kernel panics with TB2 drives 06 Feb 2015 02:28 #59406

• jvasey
  • Junior Boarder
A further update from my original post:

I spent almost an hour today with Apple online support regarding the kernel panic issue when ejecting then powering down an external TB drive. I ran my Mac Pro through the Systems Diagnosis and no hardware issue was found. I did send the kernel panic report to them (from the Console app found in Utilities) and they are sending what they call an "escalation" report to Apple engineering and I should hear something back in 3-4 business days. I would encourage others to also contact Apple Support and register the same. From what I picked up the early guess is that this may be a "driver error" issue...and I would expect most likely it can be corrected in a future Yosemite update. For now as a workaround, I eject the La Cie D2 Thunderbolt 2 drive and do not power it down while connected. I then shutdown the computer and only then turn off power to the drive. I will post an update after I hear more from Apple.

read thread about new Mac Pros, OS X 10.10.2 update, and kernel panics with TB2 drives 08 Feb 2015 18:08 #59470

Hello,

I am a French user , and i looking for a fix for this problem.
I happy to see than severals persons notice this.

For the moment i have downgrade my iMac on mavericks but my macbook pro stay on 10.10.2
I hope Apple made a fix in the next update.

Sorry for my english :)
Last Edit: 08 Feb 2015 18:09 by fb_100001052678326. Reason: orthography

10.10.3 appears to fix the kernel panic issue when powering off an external TB drive 14 Apr 2015 21:36 #62743

• jvasey
  • Junior Boarder
I upgraded to OSX 10.10.3 a few days ago and decided to replicate the situation that prompted me to start this thread. I have a Mac Pro 6.1 connected to a La Cie external TB2 drive and was using OS X 10.10.2. When I was finished editing with this drive, I would usually eject it from the desktop and then power it down. Once the power was turned off, the screen would go black (crash) and there would be an auto-restart...and I used Console to look at the kernel panic log triggered by this event.

Today I tried the same experiment, though now on OS X 10.10.3. ∑hen I powered off the TB2 drive, this time NO kernel panic -- no crash. So maybe the fix is in...and Apple hasn't really advertised it.

I would suggests others might give it a go...and maybe with some additional user feedback to be shared in this thread, hopefully this issue may have been fixed for all.

UPDATE: Other users on Apple forums are confirming the OS X 10.10.3 update has solved this kernel panic issue. So we can put this one to rest it appears.
Last Edit: 15 Apr 2015 18:16 by jvasey. Reason: Additional information