Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Mac Pro vs iMac? Getting Rid of Hiccups?

Mac Pro vs iMac? Getting Rid of Hiccups? 08 Mar 2015 23:19 #61043

• richcamp
  • Junior Boarder
I have an iMac 2013 27inch. I use FCPX and there's a lot of hiccups. I use proxy, optimized media.
I am even editing an audio only project and there's hiccups and it takes a bit to play. I was curious how a Mac Pro would change that? I thought the 27 inch iMac would allow me to use FCPX without problems. I have a thunderbolt raid, 24gb ram, SSD system drive.

If a Mac Pro would guarantee me to playback smooth, quick response and no lagging, it'd be totally worth it but I can't imagine that the little spec difference would be that much better than iMac. Or is it the pro level hardware and optimization that would make the difference? Thank you
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Mac Pro vs iMac? Getting Rid of Hiccups? 08 Mar 2015 23:25 #61044

• peteramwiggins
  • Administrator
  • The Administrator :)
  • Thank you received: 378
rich,

Are you using material that you'e just imported as you might be seeing a slowdown due to waveform generation?

Turn off waveforms on the clips in the browser
Don't have the inspector open on the audio components

if its still drags, restart FCPX, does it feel fine for a while and then slowdown? You might have triggered off the waveform generation again.

Also leave the library open, go and have lunch and come back, does it seem faster? if so it's because your audio waveforms have been analysed/drawn.

I did a huge amount of testing when working on the tour.

then again it could be something completely different!!

Peter
Administrator

Mac Pro vs iMac? Getting Rid of Hiccups? 08 Mar 2015 23:32 #61045

• richcamp
  • Junior Boarder
Thank you!
I have tried without waveforms and have left it running with the library open. It's not large projects its pretty simple stuff. I tried a lot of different media from different cameras but the issue comes up often. Its just the hiccups that over a long edit that gets annoying. Do others on iMacs or MBP have these same hiccups? I just expected there to be more stability on newer systems off a thunderbolt drive. But maybe I am wrong and these are normal. I appreciate your insights and help!

Mac Pro vs iMac? Getting Rid of Hiccups? 08 Mar 2015 23:50 #61046

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1279
When you say long edit, exactly how long? Just curious.

Mac Pro vs iMac? Getting Rid of Hiccups? 08 Mar 2015 23:53 #61047

• richcamp
  • Junior Boarder
Its not just after a long edit it can happen pretty quickly in an edit process but when I edit for 2 or 3 hours hiccups get annoying and frustrating. Thank you

Mac Pro vs iMac? Getting Rid of Hiccups? 09 Mar 2015 02:01 #61052

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
I meant the Project timeline...

Mac Pro vs iMac? Getting Rid of Hiccups? 09 Mar 2015 20:23 #61090

• richcamp
  • Junior Boarder
They're short, 10 minutes or under and no over complicated edits. This is why I'm so annoyed by the lack of smoothness.

Mac Pro vs iMac? Getting Rid of Hiccups? 09 Mar 2015 22:09 #61099

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
If all your projects and Libraries are on a T'bolt RAID, that seems odd. I suspect something is out of kilter with your system.

What codec types are the files you're using? I assume you're not optimizing.

Mac Pro vs iMac? Getting Rid of Hiccups? 10 Mar 2015 12:22 #61124

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 258
richcamp wrote:
I have an iMac 2013 27inch. I use FCPX and there's a lot of hiccups. I use proxy, optimized media...I have a thunderbolt raid, 24gb ram, SSD system drive....If a Mac Pro would guarantee me to playback smooth, quick response and no lagging, it'd be totally worth it...

I have a similar top-spec 2013 iMac 27 with Thunderbolt RAID and I rarely have any performance problems. In general rapid JKL editing and skimming are lightning-fast.

In FCP X is your playback set to "Better Quality" or "Better Performance"? It's the button in the upper-right corner of the playback window. Try Better Performance if you aren't using that.

Another place to investigate is what plugins you are using. Does the slowdown only happen after adding certain 3rd party effects or plugins? If so what are those?
Last Edit: 10 Mar 2015 12:23 by joema.

Mac Pro vs iMac? Getting Rid of Hiccups? 09 Apr 2015 04:45 #62383

• rvgeeks
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
@richcamp,

You're not alone. I have the same kind of hiccup, stuttering, slow-down kind of problem on my late-2013 rMBP (2.6GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB SSD internal drive). I store my libraries on a USB3 external drive while FCPX is installed and run from the SSD.

I'm not using Optimized/Proxy media... just the original H.264 files from off a GoPro Hero 3+ and Canon EOS 7D. When I first started using FCPX I was using Optimized media and things were just as slow... so I switched back to using original media to save drive space and speed up I/O between the laptop and external drive.

Projects are simple... mostly a series of clips assembled on a single timeline with cross-fade transitions and a couple of titles. Most are between 3-7 minutes in length. And after 20-30 minutes of working in the project, everything starts grinding to a halt. If I try to drag a clip to re-position it in the timeline, I have to hover and wait quite a while for the GUI to catch up and show the clip where I'm hovering... or move the two clips apart where I want to drop the one I've selected.

Restarting FCPX and/or my laptop don't seem to do much... it improves it temporarily, but before long I'm right back to where I started from.

I'm to the point that I can't believe I've shelled out all this money for a high-end Apple laptop and their premiere video editing app... and I'm mostly dead-in-the-water, waiting for spinning beach balls and a sluggish interface so that I can get my work done! I'd be better off using iMovie at this point! :evil: