Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Any remedy for loose Thunderbolt ports on the late 2013 Mac Pro?

Any remedy for loose Thunderbolt ports on the late 2013 Mac Pro? 19 Jun 2015 15:23 #65692

• jvasey
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
As an owner of the 2013 Mac Pro, I have been experiencing many random disconnects of external Thunderbolt drives. Upon examining the rear ports on the MP, the design of the opening seems to be too wide...allowing for the TB plug to have too much play, so the least little bit of cable strain/tension can move it and cause the disconnect. I have tried swapping out TB cables, checking the ports on the external drives..but everything points to what seems like poor design of the TB ports on the rear of the Mac. I was about to take it into the Apple store, but before doing so, wanted to ask on this forum if others had experienced the same issue...and if so, did the Apple store replace the ports...and did they work any better? I'm thinking the temporary fix is to insert a tiny piece of cardboard or filler of some kind on either side of the plug so it can enter the port straight on...but this seems a bit ludicrous for a computer that costs several thousand dollars.

Can other users share their experience of this issue?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Any remedy for loose Thunderbolt ports on the late 2013 Mac Pro? 20 Jun 2015 19:56 #65726

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1279
I connect and disconnect T'bolt portable drives a lot on mine, and no connection issues at all. The ports on mine seem fine. The opening is supposed to be wide to allow the connectors to fit in, and that is not what makes the connection stable. The port itself supports the male plug end. If you can wiggle one and it disconnects, you have faulty ports and need to have the Apple store verify that. Be aware they won't replace the ports, they'll replace the whole Mac Pro. So have your internal drive totally backed up before taking it to them.

Any remedy for loose Thunderbolt ports on the late 2013 Mac Pro? 20 Jun 2015 23:06 #65732

• thinkfilm
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
I have a late 2013 Mac Pro and I have noticed the same issue with a Thunderbolt port/cable connection. I am using Apple T'bolt cables but it seems that they can easily "wiggle" - and eject a drive. I've backed up everything and I guess I'll make a reservation at the Genius bar to check it out.

follow up on loose Thunderbolt ports on the late 2013 Mac Pro? 21 Jun 2015 00:14 #65736

• jvasey
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I will be taking my Mac Pro into the Apple Store, but as an interim workaround, i am cautiously trying out a tip that I learned from another user with the same issue. This is not a "fix," but it may hold me over the next few days.

A crude workaround, I'll grant you, but it involves taking the end of the Apple Thunderbolt cable that goes into the Mac Pro and wrapping a very small 3/16" wide strip of scotch tape around the outer metallic sheathing (so it's flush up against the plastic plug) but leaving most of the metal sheathing exposed (not covered). This measured length of this narrow strip is one and a half inches and when you wrap it around the sheathing you do about one and a half full revolutions.

This is just enough to make the Thunderbolt male plug a bit more of a snug fit when you insert it into the Mac Pro. It helps the plug go in "straighter" and when I compare the wiggle factor to what I had before it is definitely an improvement. Not an ideal workaround and you need to be careful that the amount of tape used is incredibly tiny...as to not "gum" up the works and leave a residue that would affect the inner contacts, etc.

This will buy me some additional time in which to back up my internal drive should the entire Mac Pro need to be replaced.

Other users who take in their Mac Pros for this TB port "wiggle issue" causing drive disconnects...please post back here on how Apple dealt with your problem and I will do the same.