Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: MacPro performance with FCPx

MacPro performance with FCPx 17 Oct 2015 15:02 #69561

• rickmo
  • Fresh Boarder
:( I have a late 2013 MacPro tower with 64 gigs of ram. I'm using G-Tech Thunderbolt raids - two 4 TB ones - as my editing drives.
The performance of my system is not at all what I expected when I spent a LOT of money on the Mac Pro, specifically for Final Cut. I've had lots of beach balls, hesitation on mouse clicks, waiting for things to happen. I've re-downloaded and re-installed Final Cut. Eliminated any third party plug-ins... all the usual tricks. It works better for a while, but will slow down as I build a project. I'm just talking about simple projects... not a lot of layers. Mostly 1080P. Files are imported and optimized to ProRes. I've tried Proxy but that doesn't seem to make a lot of difference. Things just don't happen quickly as they did in the old days, with FCP7. It's very frustrating when I read about people's workflow with FCP or how they're using FCP to edit a movie, etc. I'm thinking, "how are they doing this when it's so slow?" And often they're talking about working on a laptop. I have a Mac Pro for godsake!
Can anyone give me a suggestion as to what might be going on? I've talked to tech support a couple of times and they try to be helpful but always want to start with "can I share your screen and see what's going on?" You can't always tell with a quick look and things don't always repeat on demand. You have to work on a project to see the problems.
Any ideas will be appreciated.
The administrator has disabled public write access.