Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: New Audio suggestions for Latest Mac Pro?

New Audio suggestions for Latest Mac Pro? 14 Jul 2016 15:39 #78617

• AppleGuru
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi guys,

I will be submitting a request for some new audio equipment that will be used on a editing desk with the latest Mac Pro.
Any suggestion? I was thinking about this combination:
A pair M-Audio BX5 Carbon D2 and a M-Audio M-Track II. It isn't Thunderbolt but USB should be fine for motoring the audio correct?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

New Audio suggestions for Latest Mac Pro? 15 Jul 2016 02:40 #78630

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1279
I have a personal prejudice against M-Audio. But USB is perfectly fine for audio interfaces. T'bolt is overkill for it. Those units should be fine, but I'd look at PreSonus and other brands, also. Contact Sweetwater and let them know what you're looking for. They're pre-sales support is fantastic. Jason Koons there has worked with me for a decade, and knows broadcast and video needs.

New Audio suggestions for Latest Mac Pro? 15 Jul 2016 03:01 #78632

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185
I too second staying away from M-Audio.
Got some orphaned interfaces in closet. M-Audio was bought and sold by Avid and support always was terrible. No new drivers in years. Middle of road quality at best.
I switched to a Focusrite 18i20 interface. Like it for the most part. It is USB. Prefer faders over knobs, but it is a clean unit.

Hope this helps, Greg

New Audio suggestions for Latest Mac Pro? 15 Jul 2016 14:34 #78645

• DmitriZigany
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
I have the bigger brother of those monitors, the BX8 D2. They sound surprisingly good for the price (I used to have Genelecs in my music studio days). But they have a louder than acceptable hum to them. Maybe I got a defect pair, but they were too heavy to bring back, and now I've hade them for too long. But I still wouldn't recommend them.

I've had good experiences with MOTU interfaces. They keep supporting old interfaces and keep updating drivers for them etc. I have their original 828 (first ever FW audio interface, from 2001) and it still works! Even though I smashed the optical connector in and it now scrambles around inside the box, the unit works under the latest OS (don't have optical in anymore for obvious reasons) which is pretty amazing for a 15-year old audio interface!

I now use the 828mk3, but usually bring the original 828 to do backtrack duty at live shows.

If my 828mk3 broke down I would probably try to get one of the Universal Audio Apollo variants. They are overkill unless you are recording audio as well though.

Maybe the MOTU MicroBook IIc?
Last Edit: 15 Jul 2016 14:39 by DmitriZigany.

New Audio suggestions for Latest Mac Pro? 15 Jul 2016 15:29 #78647

• FernKraft
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
I am by no means an audio expert, but I will also suggest staying away from the M-audio interfaces. We just had one get replace due to lack of driver support.

luckily a co-worker had a old firewire apogee duet that was sitting in their closet that works fine with the latest mac pro. It plugged into the thunderbolt monitors and with no hassle at all, started working. we may have installed drivers, i don't remember. either way it was easy.

We've also had many people suggest the Focusrite interfaces, that is probably the direction I would go if not for the apogee that saved the day for the cost of free.

New Audio suggestions for Latest Mac Pro? 15 Jul 2016 21:18 #78653

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
Can't go wrong with Apogee interfaces, also.
Last Edit: 16 Jul 2016 02:45 by BenB.

New Audio suggestions for Latest Mac Pro? 15 Jul 2016 22:22 #78655

• AppleGuru
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Thanks for the input.
M-Audio not beaing the right choice as well as the speakers what would you suggest as in speakers and a interface to the Mac Pro if needed? In the same price point.

I haven't had the chance to gain experience with multiple speakers.

New Audio suggestions for Latest Mac Pro? 16 Jul 2016 02:54 #78657

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
Personally I'm using an Apogee Quartet because I need all 4 inputs, plus MIDI. With a pair of Adam A-7 monitors. But, there's lots of very good quality stuff to choose from in any price range.

www.sweetwater.com/c405--Active_Monitors...BSYW5nZSI6WyI2Il19fQ

www.sweetwater.com/c695--USB_Audio_Inter...BSYW5nZSI6WyI0Il19fQ