Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Mac Pro or iMac for 4K Editing 2017?

Mac Pro or iMac for 4K Editing 2017? 19 Feb 2017 02:35 #85872

• PSRob
  • Fresh Boarder
I need to buy a new Mac desktop for 4K editing. The Mac Pro has not been updated since its launch in December 2013. And it seems questionable whether it will updated soon—if not discontinued. I’m deciding whether to go with a Retina 5K iMac or a Mac Pro. I'm not trying to save money--just trying to get the best performance. Recommendations? If Mac Pro, would you choose 8 or 12 core? Thanks for your input!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Mac Pro or iMac for 4K Editing 2017? 20 Dec 2017 16:44 #92570

If you own a 4k or 5k monitor I would go Mac Pro all the way. I edit with a 12-core 64GB D700 model and now on HS and FCPX 10.4 it works like a dream. And you barely hear the machine. max 1000-1300 rpm and processor seems to have no trouble whatsoever doing at least 4-5 other task while i'm working. Photoshop, VMs, exporting with compressor. All at the same time!

So if you multitask a lot like me I would go for the Mac Pro. iMac is a great machine but for me the screen is too small. I work with 2x 32"4k monitors and and a 24"4k portret. So the iMac would'nt fit into that setup..
Last Edit: 20 Dec 2017 16:54 by martin.sawicki.

Mac Pro or iMac for 4K Editing 2017? 20 Dec 2017 17:32 #92579

• PSRob
  • Fresh Boarder
Martin, thanks for the response and your good thoughts. I can see how the Mac Pro fits your setup better. Mine was an old post (Feb 2017) and since then the new iMac Pro is out (at least the 8 and 10 core versions). Specs look good. But basically no upgradability. Still, the new iMac Pro would seem to give me all of the computing power I need. I'll have to give further thought to screen configuration. And, of course, there's the promise of a new Mac Pro in a couple of years that will likely be upgradable. Thanks again.