Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: UPDATE! Free FCP X Photo Album Effect

UPDATE! Free FCP X Photo Album Effect 02 Mar 2014 15:54 #41946

• Sparkman
  • Fresh Boarder
Robert,
I bet that is it, since the album size seemed to change based on picture size. I am not doing this for professional work. I am putting together a photo slideshow for graduating high school seniors for my daughter's class. I am getting photos from parents in different resolutions and sizes. - Painful ;)

I may not use your template on this project due to the irregularities of the photos I have been given. If not, I will certainly be using it in the future, thanks for the input.

It is strange that the only portion that did not work was the background, but funny things happen in Motion and FCP sometimes.

It is a Fantastic Effect!!
Thanks!!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

UPDATE! Free FCP X Photo Album Effect 02 Mar 2014 16:06 #41949

• rjvddoes
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 99
Thanks Doug.
Although you get different still sizes you can use the effect.
It will behave properly when you set your project dimensions first (1080p or 720p) before dropping in your first still.

Good luck

UPDATE! Free FCP X Photo Album Effect 02 Mar 2014 16:24 #41950

• Sparkman
  • Fresh Boarder
I opened a new project at 1080p and dropped in a couple of picture and set them up as per your instructions. It is better, - the background goes about 80% of the way across the page. It is still not as large as the book cover or the protection page - if I turn off the protection page, I could probably get away with it.
I may try going into Motion and making the background page wider just to see what happens.

I am on OSX 10.7.5 and FCP 10.0.9. I cannot upgrade to Mavericks yet because I have other software that is behind the curve. Maybe it will be fixed when I get everything upgraded.

Thanks for your help. It looks like I have an isolated case. If I come up with something, I will let you know.

UPDATE! Free FCP X Photo Album Effect 02 Mar 2014 16:30 #41951

• rjvddoes
  • Gold Boarder
It shouldn't have anything to do with your version of OSX and FCPX.
I made the template in 2011, so long before Mavericks and FCPX 10.0.9.

Weird problem!

UPDATE! Free FCP X Photo Album Effect 02 Mar 2014 16:35 #41952

• Sparkman
  • Fresh Boarder
Robert,

I did go into motion, quickly widened the background completely off of the canvas to the right - it worked.

I think this is the underlying issue. The cover comes up centered in the frame in FCP, the protection page does also. However the photo is on the left side of the frame. I have to drag it right to center it. It appears that both the picture and the background are coming in far left of center, even though the left side of the background lines up with the left side of the cover and the left side of the protection page.

If you don't have a solution, I can probably play with this in motion and get it to line up right for my crazy issue.

UPDATE! Free FCP X Photo Album Effect 02 Mar 2014 16:40 #41953

• rjvddoes
  • Gold Boarder
Try the following exact steps:

Create a project at 1080p
Insert a Gap clip at the beginning of the timeline by pressing Opt+W
Drop any still to the timeline as a connected clip, make sure the length of each still is at least 6 seconds long
Don't change the spatial conform settings of the still (leave them set at their default: "fit")
Select the first still and press Opt+G to make it a Compound clip.
Repeat for every other still.
Apply the Photo Album Effect to each compound clip and stagger them with a 2 seconds overlap.
Adjust the settings of the effect as needed

This should work properly (it does on my system at least). I hope it will on your system too.

Robbert-Jan

UPDATE! Free FCP X Photo Album Effect 06 Mar 2014 17:37 #42170

• Jonatious
  • Fresh Boarder
I downloaded and moved to the effects folder. wen i drag the effect to a photo it becomes blue.
Sorry for being newbie i m new to fcp n this is my first custom template pls help

UPDATE! Free FCP X Photo Album Effect 06 Mar 2014 20:42 #42178

• rjvddoes
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Jonatious,

I don't have a clue about the problem you describe.
As far as I know it should all work as described in my first post in this topic.
If you have followed along you should not encounter any problems.
Nevertheless I will dig around a little to see if I can find something that causes this blue screen.

Robbert-Jan

UPDATE! Free FCP X Photo Album Effect 07 Mar 2014 03:03 #42192

• Jonatious
  • Fresh Boarder
The problem is. when i click on a clip and drag my mouse throught the effect it shows a preview right?
but when i scroll over the photo album it shows blue and when i insert it to a clip it becomes blue too :(

UPDATE! Free FCP X Photo Album Effect 07 Mar 2014 07:53 #42198

• alex4D
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 250
The 'blue screen' fault is probably because your version of Final Cut is too old.

You need to use the Mac App Store to check for updates. You’ll see the update if you are signed into the App Store with the same Apple ID as you bought your copy of Final Cut Pro X.

For more, and a workaround that might help:

blog.alex4d.com/2012/12/04/blue-screenis-your-fcpx-new-enough/

@Alex4D

UPDATE! Free FCP X Photo Album Effect 07 Mar 2014 08:49 #42201

• rjvddoes
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Alex,

Thanks for helping out. I had now clue about what was going on here. I read your blog post about the issue and again you did some great research.
What a wonderful forum this is.

Cheers,
Robbert-Jan

UPDATE! Free FCP X Photo Album Effect 14 Mar 2014 14:29 #42658

• LanceFCP
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Loving it!

Re: New Free FCP X Photo Album Effect 24 Mar 2014 18:51 #43327

Hi,
This is a great effect, thank you for creating and sharing it.

I am having trouble with the protection page staying on too long before it curls up when I'm using it with Top in Stack. Is there a way to shorten the time it stays down? When I've watched your sample video the protection page is on for 1 sec but on my program it is staying on for more like 3 seconds and it is too long. Where I have the cover page with protection page it is only staying down for 1 second before it curls, but where I have the protection page on for Top in stack, it is staying down for 3 seconds before it curls up. I hope you can help as I think the protection page looks really good.

Thanks.

Re: New Free FCP X Photo Album Effect 24 Mar 2014 19:08 #43331

• rjvddoes
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Riley,

If you take a look at the schematic overview you can see that you have to move every subsequent stack of clips 2 seconds to the left in the timeline in such a way that it is underneath the preceding clip.
Used in that way the black photo background will be turned over and the cover page of the next page will be revealed.

PhotoAlbumOverview.jpg
Last Edit: 24 Mar 2014 19:15 by rjvddoes.

Re: New Free FCP X Photo Album Effect 24 Mar 2014 20:47 #43343

Thanks for your quick reply. I was having trouble getting the clips offset, but I realized that with the clips if I append to storyline that it allows me to move the clips to the left as you've indicated and it solves the issue. Thank you very much!

UPDATE! Free FCP X Photo Album Effect 24 Mar 2014 21:13 #43346

• Sparkman
  • Fresh Boarder
I have been thinking about this wonderful effect and the questions that have been asked over the past couple of years, including my questions. Someone asked quite a while ago if it could be made into a Generator. I believe Robert asked what advantage it would be to have it as a generator, and I do not think there was much, if any, of a reply. (i probably should go back and reread the post.)

Many generators have been developed since then, and I think if someone took up the task of making this into a generator it would be better. The whole thing could sit in the timeline as one unit with drop zones, instead of stacking the effect multiple times The designer would have to add a lot of options like the number of pages etc.

Robert's effect could be the starting point, just copy it into a generator. However, this is just theory in my head. I may try to play with it one day and find that my idea is either not possible, or a lot more work than I thought.

UPDATE! Free FCP X Photo Album Effect 24 Mar 2014 21:59 #43347

• rjvddoes
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Doug,

When I made this effect it started simple, because I was learning for myself how to make a rigged effect. As I was advancing it grew more and more complicated. At that time FCPX had some problems (although I don't exactly remember what they were) with drop zones, so I didn't even look into them.
Ofcourse it must be possible to rebuild this effect as a Generator, but it has been such a long time ago that I developed it. I didn't document all my steps so I would have to deconstruct it. A few weeks ago when the question about making it as a Generator was posted, I tried to make a start by copying all the layers into a blank Motion Generator project. Unfortunately a lot of the links and rig controllers were broken, because rigs don't copy over.
Then I realized it would take me a lot of time which I don't have at this moment.
Maybe at a later time.

Robbert-Jan

UPDATE! Free FCP X Photo Album Effect 24 Mar 2014 22:34 #43348

• Sparkman
  • Fresh Boarder
Robbert-Jan

I should have gotten your name right - sorry. Thanks for that information. That was along the lines of what I was thinking - It could be done, but it would be a lot of work. I did not realize that the rigs would not copy over, so that is good to know in the future. I enjoy playing with Motion projects, but also do not have the time to do so.

I think it would be nice if Apple made it so you could convert a motion project from an effect to a generator, or title etc. There is a lot of crossover since generators can have titles etc. I have started with one type, then wished I could change it to another after I got a couple of hours into it. They are all motion projects, it looks like this would be possible without too much trouble on Apple's part.

UPDATE! Free FCP X Photo Album Effect 24 Mar 2014 23:13 #43351

• rjvddoes
  • Gold Boarder
I just did an interesting discovery that needs further research.
I copied the Photo Album effect from the Effects folder into the Generators folder and changed the extension from .moef to .motn
This seems to work as I now have the Photo Album showing up in my Generators :-)
Ofcourse without the Effect Source layer, so I replaced the Effect Source with a Drop Zone in Motion. I do have to relink a few parameters since the layer name has changed.
This looks very promising. To be continued

UPDATE! Free FCP X Photo Album Effect 25 Mar 2014 20:46 #43412

Hi,
After your response yesterday I was able to get my problem resolved and I've been building a project with this photo album effect but I've run into another issue. Every time Final Cut Pro closes I loose the photo text that I've entered. The front cover text stays, however all the photo text reverts back to Enter Your Text Here. At this point I have about 13 different pages created with most of them containing photo text and I've only got one page where the text has remained.

Final Cut does crash on me from time to time so after that happened I went through and fixed all the photo text again and closed the program to see if that would save the text. Unfortunately when I opened the program back up all the photo text was gone except for on one page.

I hope there is a fix for this as this project is going to look great if I can get it finished.

Thanks!