Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: UPDATE! Free FCP X Photo Album Effect

UPDATE! Free FCP X Photo Album Effect 25 Mar 2014 21:30 #43413

• rjvddoes
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 99
Hi Riley,

that's a strange problem you are encountering.
I don't know what could be causing this. The only thing I can do right now is to give you the link to my just converted Photo Album Generator.
With the Effect I don't encounter your problems on my computer nor do I see them when I use the Generator.
After unzipping place the folder in your User/Movies/Motion Templates/Generators folder.
The Photo Album is now a Generator with a Drop Zone to put the photos in. I haven't had time yet to do some streamlining of the template, but apart from the drop zone everything should be working the same as in the Effect version. One advantage though: you don't have to make a compound clip from each still anymore. Because of the drop zone you can throw any still at it.
Please give it a try and let me know if this solves your problem and sorry for the inconvenience it causes.

Robbert-Jan
The administrator has disabled public write access.

UPDATE! Free FCP X Photo Album Effect 25 Mar 2014 21:59 #43415

• rjvddoes
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Riley,

I don't know if you already have downloaded the Photo Album Generator but I have changed a few default settings (the source position was slightly off center) and I did a little bit of regrouping and shuffling and placed the controls for the source near the drop zone icon in the inspector.
The link is now pointing to the updated file.

Robbert-Jan

UPDATE! Free FCP X Photo Album Effect 25 Mar 2014 22:09 #43416

Thanks, I had downloaded it and just got it installed when I got your email, but the changes are very appreciated so I have downloaded your latest one and installed it.

I am a little confused on how to use the drop zone. I took a clip that had the old photo album effect on it and turned the effect off. I have dragged the generator below the clip but I'm just having a bit of trouble figuring out how to drop my clip into it….

I've got a video clip dropped in the generator but now I can't get it to reduce the size or move it around like how you can in the effect version. I'll keep playing with it to see if I can figure out what I'm doing wrong. I have kept my clips in the same format as the old effect.
Last Edit: 25 Mar 2014 22:16 by oneyellowlab.

UPDATE! Free FCP X Photo Album Effect 25 Mar 2014 22:33 #43417

• rjvddoes
  • Gold Boarder
1 - Import your pictures in the Event Browser
2 - Insert a Gap clip in your timeline by pressing Opt-W
3 - Extend the duration of the Gap clip to match the length of all your pages combined (you can extend it as you go)
4 - Apply the Photo Album Generator as a connected clip above your timeline
5 - In the inspector click on the Drop Zone icon
6 - Now move your mouse to the browser and click on the picture you want to insert
7 - Click the "Apply Clip" button underneath the Viewer
8 - Adjust the settings in the inspector as needed
9 - Repeat step 4 for the next photo page and let it snap to the end of the first Photo Album clip
10 - With the second clip selected type -200 to move the second connected clip 2 seconds to the left and underneath the first connected clip
11 - Repeat steps 5 through 10

Instead of having to click your pictures in the browser you can also put them in the primary storyline in the right order underneath every connected Photo Album Generator clip and click these clips every time you have to assign a still to the Drop Zone

Succes!
Robbert-Jan
Last Edit: 25 Mar 2014 22:37 by rjvddoes.

UPDATE! Free FCP X Photo Album Effect 25 Mar 2014 23:17 #43420

Thanks for the step by step instructions that has helped. I like the idea of being able to have the picture or video in the story line as I tried the instructions using video clip in the event Browser and that doesn't give me enough flexibility to edit the video clip…it would work for photos fine.

I am trying to follow your instructions for keeping the photo or video in the story line but the photos keep showing through. I found an option to disable the photo or video and that seems to work, I don't know what I was doing wrong.

Thanks very much for all your help!

UPDATE! Free FCP X Photo Album Effect 25 Mar 2014 23:33 #43423

• rjvddoes
  • Gold Boarder
I'm glad to hear it's working now.
Does the text stay when you close and reopen FCPX?

There must be a good method to select the right portion of a clip in the browser, but I haven't used any effect or generator with a drop zone in any of my projects up to now, so I would have to do some catching up.
I think the online FCPX manual will be a good starting point to find out more about the use of drop zones and this forum of course :-)

UPDATE! Free FCP X Photo Album Effect 26 Mar 2014 00:15 #43424

• rjvddoes
  • Gold Boarder
I found this short tutorial on using a drop zone but I think it might be outdated a little bit.

I'm not sure if it is still needed to make a compound clip first. Anyway I think you can follow the workflow here and indeed disable the clip's video after you have assigned it to a drop zone.
If anyone has a good suggestion for a video tutorial on the use of drop zones in 10.1.1 I would be very glad to hear.

Robbert-Jan

UPDATE! Free FCP X Photo Album Effect 26 Mar 2014 00:51 #43427

Yes the text is staying when I close and reopen FCPX. And thank you for the link to the video tutorial on drop zones, I'm sure after applying the generator to my entire project I'll get this figured out :)

Thanks again for all your help.

UPDATE! Free FCP X Photo Album Effect 26 Mar 2014 13:51 #43455

• Ryszard K
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Hello,

I just wonder if anyone can tell me if there is a way to make a build in/build out feature in the pages of this template?

For example, once the page turns to reveal the video in the page below I want that video clip to start playing and "build out" of the album frame and go full screen, then once its finished playing it can "build in" back into the the page and then the page can turn over to the next one....

You can see this effect in FCPX template: Themes > Photo Album > Zoom In

Thanks for your help.

UPDATE! Free FCP X Photo Album Effect 26 Mar 2014 14:39 #43462

• rjvddoes
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Ryszard,

In itself a great idea. The only problem is that I made the filter to do just what it does.
Having the photo zooming to fullscreen is a whole different chapter. About a year ago I started to see if it was possible, but the initial construction of the effect with the way several layers are masked and the way in which the borders around the photo's are generated makes it really hard to accomplish. But I might be searching in the wrong direction. Like tunnel vision.
Now that I have turned the effect into a generator I will spend some time adapting the generator in such a way that it uses its full potential and I will certainly have another look if I can make this a feature.

Robbert-Jan

UPDATE! Free FCP X Photo Album Effect 26 Mar 2014 22:18 #43507

Hi,
I just wanted to let you know that I am encountering a problem with the generator effect, the video in it will randomly freeze. It isn't in all the clips but some of them. I have tried removing the video clip and then redoing it and that will work for a bit and then the video will freeze again. I have to wonder if my FCPX is just buggy given the problem with the text not saving with the Effect version of the Album. I am also finding the generator version more finicky trying to get the page turn right.

I love this effect too much to give up but I'm almost tempted to revert back to the effect version and see if I can get the project made and all the text entered without my system crashing.

Thanks.

UPDATE! Free FCP X Photo Album Effect 27 Mar 2014 03:56 #43526

Just another update on my technical issues:

Since I am having the problem with the video freezing in the Generator version of the Photo Album effect I thought I'd try starting an entirely new project to see if I could get the Effect version to work in that it would retain the photo text that I type in. I put in only a few clips, typed in the text, increased the size of the text and did a share to save it to a video to see how it looked. When the video played where the text should be it says Enter Your Text Here…even though the text is reading properly in FCPX. And if I close the program the text that I typed still doesn't get saved even in a brand new project. It is saving the font size increase that I make, but not the words.

If anyone has any idea if there is something that I can do to fix this issue I'd love to hear it as I had really hoped to use this effect but at this point I think I'm going to have admit defeat.

I'm wondering if when I installed the latest version of the Effect did it matter that when I copied it to the folder it was replacing the old effect? Should I have deleted the old effect first?

I appreciate any help.

UPDATE! Free FCP X Photo Album Effect 27 Mar 2014 10:15 #43545

• rjvddoes
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Riley,

When an Effect, Title or Generator is updated in the Effect Browser, all instances of them that are already in use in your timeline will still be using the previous version. In order to update these you have to reapply the updated version. This is unfortunately the only way to go.
It also seems like FCPX isn't updating the render files correctly.
You might want to try the following:

- Turn off Background Render in the Playback section of the Preference pane
- Delete Render Files in the File menu

You will see the orange render bar return in your timeline and FCPX will now only render on export or when you manually tell it to render in Modify>Render Selection or Modify>Render All

What version of OSX and FCPX are you running? If you are up to date with both it might be a bug in FCPX.

Robbert-Jan
Last Edit: 27 Mar 2014 10:23 by rjvddoes.

UPDATE! Free FCP X Photo Album Effect 27 Mar 2014 15:29 #43591

Hi Robbert-Jann,
Thanks for getting back to me. I am running Lion 10.7.5 and FCPX 10.0.9. I have turned off the back ground rendering, however I wasn't able to delete the rendered files in the File Menu- I can't get this option to become available. I can see it in grey but I can't figure out how to get it to become available to click on.

After turning off the back ground rendering and manually rendering the text changes that I made I closed FCPX and when I reopened it the text is still reverting back to Enter your text here. I also tried starting a new project however the text is still reverting back.

Thanks.

UPDATE! Free FCP X Photo Album Effect 27 Mar 2014 23:32 #43640

• rjvddoes
  • Gold Boarder
I think you have to select the Event in the Browser first and then you can select Delete Event Render Files.
Is updating to (free) Mavericks and FCPX 10.1.1 an option for you?

UPDATE! Free FCP X Photo Album Effect 28 Mar 2014 02:10 #43649

Thanks for that information, I deleted the Rendered Files in both the project and event but unfortunately that didn't help.

I am waiting for iskysoft DVD Creator to be compatible with Mavericks so that I can do the update, I was hoping by now that they would have had the update available for my version of the program.

UPDATE! Free FCP X Photo Album Effect 14 Apr 2014 17:05 #44495

• Sparkman
  • Fresh Boarder
Robbert-Jan

I wrote a few weeks ago that I thought someone should try to turn your effect into a generator. You responded and we both said we did not have time to do it right now.

You TOOK TIME within a day or two!

I just got around to downloading the generator for a slideshow project for my daughter's graduation.

It is fantastic. I think it is easier to use as a generator and it looks fabulous in the slideshow.

Thanks for your initial effect and for taking time to turn it into a great generator.

Doug Sparkman

UPDATE! Free FCP X Photo Album Effect 14 Apr 2014 22:54 #44512

• jdm4given1
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
Just downloaded the generator. I tried to use it when it was an effect but had some trouble so I avoided using it. Already I am using the generator version and will use it a lot. Just wanted to stop in and say THANK YOU for your work on this effect/generator. Much appreciated!

UPDATE! Free FCP X Photo Album Effect 22 May 2014 03:33 #46465

cool!

UPDATE! Free FCP X Photo Album Effect 29 Jul 2014 10:36 #50648

• Luc@
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello,

I have some difficulties with the titles. When i export the video after filling the titles, the titles are still "enter your text here" when i read it with Quicktime. I rendered all the video and tried different exports but the titles are never saved.

I'm working on Mavericks and the latest FCPX.

Can you help me ?

Thanks for your template... and your help !

Luc@

PROBLEM SOLVED ;)
Last Edit: 29 Jul 2014 11:35 by Luc@.